onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

He's doing a steady job let's not forget the position we were in when he took over it didn't look like we were going to win any games he kept us up then had to deal with everything going on off the pitch with players and the ex owner. The shanahans came in and this season is just about taking stock really moving forward together the squad looks better but it takes time to change a poor team around get players confidence up but overall we are heading in the right direction for the first time in 3 seasons

Advert

People calling for his head are bonkers (that’s if there are any), we should be doing all we can to ensure he’s building something in that 3 year spell. Like I said earlier in the thread look at Crewe, Artell was a dead man walking if you listened to praise and grumble last season and the year before, now look at them. Time and patience are needed here, we can’t keep having a knee jerk reaction having had so much upheaval of the last 3 years with managers and so many coming and goings with players. At some point you have to stick and be bold and give someone the time and the chance to do something. Problem is that we seem to have a minority who expect everything now.

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

People calling for his head are bonkers (that’s if there are any), we should be doing all we can to ensure he’s building something in that 3 year spell. Like I said earlier in the thread look at Crewe, Artell was a dead man walking do you listened to praise and grumble last season and the year before, now look at them. Time and patience are needed here, we can’t keep having a knee jerk reaction having had so much upheaval of the last 3 years with managers and so many coming and goings with players. At some point you have to stick and be bold and give sometime the chance to do something.

Couldn’t agree more... I sometimes think Vale fans have become addicted to drama, and when there isn’t any, they will create some.

JA is doing a decent job. He is a perfect manager for Carol and Kevin, who are new to football ownership, given he ran Macc from top to bottom in his time there. He needs time to keep turning the QE2 of a disaster caused by Smurthwaite... so far he is doing it. 

At the end of the day, given that we have a mid-table budget, if we finish mid-table he's done a descent job. Better than that, he's over performed. Less, he has under performed. But, unless something goes horrendously wrong, I don't see why his position should be under any question until at least the end of the season.

Plus this season we might actually strengthen in Jan. As opposed to the traditional Smurthwaite policy of weakening in Jan.

Judge him come the end of the season, top 7 he is excellent, 7-12 he is very good and will get us higher next season, 12-16 decent job, improving, 16-22 OK but no better than Aspin, 22-24th and he is hopeless.

I’m going somewhere between 7th and 16th with what I’ve seen so far.

Judge him come the end of the season, top 7 he is excellent, 7-12 he is very good and will get us higher next season, 12-16 decent job, improving, 16-22 OK but no better than Aspin, 22-24th and he is hopeless.
Pretty accurate that, although aspin kept us up after brown went and god knows what the man had to put up with from the owner so would say bottom 5/6 with the stability off field and he has brought all his own guys in would be a failure and worse than aspin.

To other posts
also who are these posters who have been saying get rid of askey ,not sure I have read 1 on this thread.

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Below 12th if I’d be disappointed. Not seen many actual decent sides this season but seen some real awful ones. For me too half done well and a solid improvement. Any higher is a bonus. Any lower is poor. 

11 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Not sure that he isn't a tactical genius, he has to work with the players he has been able to acquire, which may not be his first choice. Can't help that he is still saddled with our previous owners poor choice of players such as Trickett-Smith.

Shame really that he wasted the budget on players like Lloyd, Kennedy and Evans when he could have waited for better players with league experience become available. Maybe he can get these out on loan to bring in better players in January.Atkinson appears to be a decent player and needs a longer contract so he is not snapped up by a bigger club.

14 hours ago, elav trop 1876 said:

Pretty accurate that, although aspin kept us up after brown went and god knows what the man had to put up with from the owner so would say bottom 5/6 with the stability off field and he has brought all his own guys in would be a failure and worse than aspin.

To other posts
also who are these posters who have been saying get rid of askey ,not sure I have read 1 on this thread.

I, too, would like to know who those are on here that have been saying get rid of him?

Seems most posts contain people's opinions of what state the Club is in now and what they feel may be the case, long term. Nowhere is there numbers of fans asking for his head.

If people would actually read and digest what other posters are saying then there may not be this "suggestion" that fans want Askey out. Some posters may try and impose their own thoughts on others but at the end of the day it's generally accepted(isn't it?) that Askey has got the Club in a better state than the past couple of years. Along with others, I, too, have said that we need more time before agreeing that he is the full product. Is that not reasonable? 

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

I, too, would like to know who those are on here that have been saying get rid of him?

Seems most posts contain people's opinions of what state the Club is in now and what they feel may be the case, long term. Nowhere is there numbers of fans asking for his head.

If people would actually read and digest what other posters are saying then there may not be this "suggestion" that fans want Askey out. Some posters may try and impose their own thoughts on others but at the end of the day it's generally accepted(isn't it?) that Askey has got the Club in a better state than the past couple of years. Along with others, I, too, have said that we need more time before agreeing that he is the full product. Is that not reasonable? 

Not necessarily on this thread, however after the Macc/Stevenage games & prior to Bradford, the Facebook Vale groups were full of posts calling for his head, stating he's clueless & that we're no better than the last few seasons.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Not necessarily on this thread, however after the Macc/Stevenage games & prior to Bradford, the Facebook Vale groups were full of posts calling for his head, stating he's clueless & that we're no better than the last few seasons.

I'm not on facebook so I don't know what's said there.

Point I'm making on this thread is that maybe one or 2 have called for his head but the vast majority haven't. They have simply expressed their own opinions of the state of the club under his reign and possible long term questions. That is NOT saying get rid!

Some have made their own agenda by suggesting it's a "get rid of Askey" thread. 

13 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

I'm not on facebook so I don't know what's said there.

Point I'm making on this thread is that maybe one or 2 have called for his head but the vast majority haven't. They have simply expressed their own opinions of the state of the club under his reign and possible long term questions. That is NOT saying get rid!

Some have made their own agenda by suggesting it's a "get rid of Askey" thread. 

Yeah not the case here, it's definitely a tad calmer in comparison to elsewhere. As Joe B says (I know you're not on there but it is the case), on Facebook/Twitter etc after some games, the abuse the players/Askey cop & the absolute outrage at a bad performance is pretty crazy.

There's very little middle ground when it comes to Vale at the moment, zero patience from a lot of fans. Win two in a row & we're playoffs/aiming for the top, dont win for a few games & it's Askey out everywhere, we're garbage & going backwards, no improvement on last season etc.

What I'm worried about for Saturday isn't just losing to Crewe, it's the reaction from it.

Archived