onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

Poor game in poor conditions and it did look like we were jaded after the strenuous efforts against Bradford.

I believe Oldham were there for the taking but in the end a draw was OK.

We have to accept we are not good enough yet for play off aspirations and maybe some fans are expecting too much, too soon? We all would like to be successful and optimistic but also realistic. If we finish in a position similar to Saturday's standings then that should offer us crumbs of comfort to expect a better showing next season.

It is so frustrating being a Valiant but at least the seeds sown by Carol/Kevin and Askey appear to be embedding themselves now and we hope to reap a harvest of fruitfulness soon!

10 hours ago, toyahw said:

At the end of the day we were the better team, but didn't do enough to deserve the win. And they could have nicked it. Their bloke second half missed a bigger sitter than Taylor. We were just too slow and over complicating things. Back and sideways is okay at times, but too much of that today. Have to mix it up a bit more. City score goals from a hoof from the keeper now and again.

Bennett was never in the game.

Disappointing but 4 points from the last two games, take it. And stuff Crow next weekend with Wozza back.

Actually nobody played that bad. It was more we were all 6.5 today and 8.0 Tues. Happens. It's a tight league, when we're on it we can match anyone (bar Exeter so far). If not, we are much of a muchness. 

Like today. Monty deserved MOTM for me. 

Summed up neatly.
Last season we'd have been 6 on Tuesday, 4.5 yesterday.
Both games would have been lost.
So that's progress.
Very notable and we have the relative luxury of being disappointed with an average performance.

The joys of league 2 unfortunately, it’s teams that can keep consistency that gets you up near the top, which is easier said than done with players who would play higher if they were able to play consistently..and our last two games have shown that.

For me Oldham were there for the taking and had we scored in the first 20 minutes I think it would have been a comfortable win they looked like they expected to concede.

For me Bennett is a number 10 and not one I would play up top by himself, he comes deep and doesn’t look to get behind other teams defence, which allows teams to compress the defence and midfield lines,  I think he would be better with someone up top with him or the wingers have got to look to get beyond him, which they haven’t done in the last two home games, they have all looked to come and get the ball oppsoed to having it fed through for them.

Askey needs to make changes earlier, every week I sit waiting for a change which is clearly needed but majority of the times comes too late..like pope and Cullen yesterday.

We’re getting better, we’re keeping the points board ticking over and still undefeated at home.  

UTV

Dissapointing and ultimately frustrating.

Positives - Monty looks fine at left back. I think its probably his best position. He's actually very decent at tackling wingers one on one, and his distribution and ability to progress the ball is very helpful.

Defensively we look pretty sound; no open play goals conceded in 3 games. Smith and Legge seem to have a very good partnership.

There does now seem to be options in the squad; Atkinson, Pope, and Cullen are 3 players with probably over 1000 league games between them, and they came off the bench. Brisley, Evans, and Archer can hold their own at this level and didn't see the pitch. We're no longer throwing on gambles/inadequate players as soon as a suspension/injury hits.

Negatives - Without Conlon the pressing game isn't up to scratch. I think we miss him more than fans realise.

Bennett is bang out of form. No striker seems to be able to stake a claim. Askey won't waver from 433 so it might be time to gamble with Archer for a game or two, or find a midfield pairing that will keep the middle solid and allow us to go 442/4231 with Bennett/Cullen behind the front man.

Amoo is frustrating. Brilliant at making the full back panic, a superb outlet on the break, but his final ball lets him down. Classic League 2 winger.

Browne didn't take his opportunity.

Inability to create good quality chances after Taylor and Smith's misses early doors.

We are heavily reliant on Worrall, in terms of energy, crossing, passing, and set-pieces. Our most important player by a considerable distance.

All in all, a week that sums up where we are; a decent side that is very difficult to beat but lacks the quality that teams like Swindon and Crewe have to fashion good chances for good forwards. We seem to play better against good teams who will concede space for our wingers on the counter, and struggle against teams who sit back and invite us to break them down. Without a proper creative midfielder like Manny, we struggle to get through on goal.

Crewe will be fun. Worrall back in and Atkinson in for Burgess to tighten up the middle. Up front, I'd be tempted by Popey as it'll be a game of few chances for us and a lot of crossing. Otherwise, get Archer on.

47 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Dissapointing and ultimately frustrating.

Positives - Monty looks fine at left back. I think its probably his best position. He's actually very decent at tackling wingers one on one, and his distribution and ability to progress the ball is very helpful.

Defensively we look pretty sound; no open play goals conceded in 3 games. Smith and Legge seem to have a very good partnership.

There does now seem to be options in the squad; Atkinson, Pope, and Cullen are 3 players with probably over 1000 league games between them, and they came off the bench. Brisley, Evans, and Archer can hold their own at this level and didn't see the pitch. We're no longer throwing on gambles/inadequate players as soon as a suspension/injury hits.

Negatives - Without Conlon the pressing game isn't up to scratch. I think we miss him more than fans realise.

Bennett is bang out of form. No striker seems to be able to stake a claim. Askey won't waver from 433 so it might be time to gamble with Archer for a game or two, or find a midfield pairing that will keep the middle solid and allow us to go 442/4231 with Bennett/Cullen behind the front man.

Amoo is frustrating. Brilliant at making the full back panic, a superb outlet on the break, but his final ball lets him down. Classic League 2 winger.

Browne didn't take his opportunity.

Inability to create good quality chances after Taylor and Smith's misses early doors.

We are heavily reliant on Worrall, in terms of energy, crossing, passing, and set-pieces. Our most important player by a considerable distance.

All in all, a week that sums up where we are; a decent side that is very difficult to beat but lacks the quality that teams like Swindon and Crewe have to fashion good chances for good forwards. We seem to play better against good teams who will concede space for our wingers on the counter, and struggle against teams who sit back and invite us to break them down. Without a proper creative midfielder like Manny, we struggle to get through on goal.

Crewe will be fun. Worrall back in and Atkinson in for Burgess to tighten up the middle. Up front, I'd be tempted by Popey as it'll be a game of few chances for us and a lot of crossing. Otherwise, get Archer on.

We were pretty saying the same things during the game yesterday. One thing we noticed was Amoos link up play with Gibbons, it is nowhere near the same as when Worrall is there. Amoo will do the same thing and run at a winger and try to cross it, but we noticed on more than one occasion that Gibbo had made his usual run inside the full back and Amoo never once spotted it, that’s something that Worrall does in his sleep. We were also talking about Archer, what’s his best role? With another striker? On his own? I have no idea and really he hasn’t had much of a chance in the team since his injury. Bennett is another topic of conversation, he looks like he doesn’t want to head a ball in the box and I’d be tempted to start Pope next week at Crewe too.

Good points.

Not sure I agree that Bennett is bang out of form. He had two assists at Bradford. Has good touch, and he did do a few decent cushion headers down to Amoo in the first half. As ever with strikers, it's more about the service and support they get. Having two out and out wingers left him isolated when the ball went down the middle.

Monty at full back interests me. With him, we seem more balanced, as both full backs are upfield and attack minded. He also has better distribution than any other defenders and he seems an adequate defender. Perhaps most of all, he looks a better player, as he's facing the play, so gets better possession.

19 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Good points.

Not sure I agree that Bennett is bang out of form. He had two assists at Bradford. Has good touch, and he did do a few decent cushion headers down to Amoo in the first half. As ever with strikers, it's more about the service and support they get. Having two out and out wingers left him isolated when the ball went down the middle.

Monty at full back interests me. With him, we seem more balanced, as both full backs are upfield and attack minded. He also has better distribution than any other defenders and he seems an adequate defender. Perhaps most of all, he looks a better player, as he's facing the play, so gets better possession.

He had one assist at Bradford, 2nd goal was Taylor laying it off for Atkinson.

Bennett has decent link up play but he hasn't threatened the goal since Macc. I really like him, think he's probably our best forward, and think he's been an astute acquisition to get a mobile, big striker with a lot of decent abilities who will get us double figures this year. His pressing is excellent too.

I just don't feel he's offering that goal threat at the present. If we could figure out a way to get him and Archer on the pitch at the same time, with Amoo and Worrall on the flanks, without conceding control of the middle, we'd be quite an intriguing outfit going forward. Conlon coming back will be important on that front.

34 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

We were pretty saying the same things during the game yesterday. One thing we noticed was Amoos link up play with Gibbons, it is nowhere near the same as when Worrall is there. Amoo will do the same thing and run at a winger and try to cross it, but we noticed on more than one occasion that Gibbo had made his usual run inside the full back and Amoo never once spotted it, that’s something that Worrall does in his sleep. We were also talking about Archer, what’s his best role? With another striker? On his own? I have no idea and really he hasn’t had much of a chance in the team since his injury. Bennett is another topic of conversation, he looks like he doesn’t want to head a ball in the box and I’d be tempted to start Pope next week at Crewe too.

I'd be interested by Archer on one of the flanks; a lot of good teams seem to employ an 'inside forward', usually a very quick player who can get in behind in between the full back and centre half. It could be worth a bash.

No matter what some of our ‘fans’ say I’m happy with how we’re progressing this season, theirs no doubt we’re a much better side and we are in a much better place than the last couple of years.

This isn’t a instant plan to be fighting for the play-offs/promotion it’s a long term project and we might have to be patient for 3/4 years but let’s be honest if you’d have said we’d be where we are in the league now after the last couple of seasons I’m sure 90% would have taken it with still 3 quarters or so of the season to go, we all want success straight away and there’s 23 other teams in the division wanting the exact same thing! 

The signings Askey has made I think we can say 95% have been good signings and with another transfer window coming up in a couple of months I’m hopeful we can get in the top half of the table! Let’s not get too carried away after a win and let’s not get to carried away after a defeat!

Either way, I’ll be there every week cheering on the 11 players on the pitch representing our wonderful club, thanks to Kevin and Carol for making us believe again and that we won’t be in a relegation dog fight come April. 

UTV!

2 hours ago, Valearmy19 said:

No matter what some of our ‘fans’ say I’m happy with how we’re progressing this season, theirs no doubt we’re a much better side and we are in a much better place than the last couple of years.

This isn’t a instant plan to be fighting for the play-offs/promotion it’s a long term project and we might have to be patient for 3/4 years but let’s be honest if you’d have said we’d be where we are in the league now after the last couple of seasons I’m sure 90% would have taken it with still 3 quarters or so of the season to go, we all want success straight away and there’s 23 other teams in the division wanting the exact same thing! 

The signings Askey has made I think we can say 95% have been good signings and with another transfer window coming up in a couple of months I’m hopeful we can get in the top half of the table! Let’s not get too carried away after a win and let’s not get to carried away after a defeat!

Either way, I’ll be there every week cheering on the 11 players on the pitch representing our wonderful club, thanks to Kevin and Carol for making us believe again and that we won’t be in a relegation dog fight come April. 

UTV!

Valearmy don't think any/many are either getting carried away or sticking the knife in as its there are massive positives on/off pitch and is much more settled..giving constructive  criticism - the squad I think we missed a trick yesterday ( same as stevenage) as these teams came with low expectations yet we let them off the hook,, think we are capable of playing more forward defence splitting passes and if needed mixing it with long balls and being more on the front foot pegging these teams back...when we end up in our own half having not got a cross in or passing back when we have a chance to turn their defence and then get the ball between keeper and defence line via a smart ball think that leads to understandable frustration especially against the more lowly teams- we have the personnel here now to do this just needs working on the same as corners and throw ins which are basic & wasteful.

We are a mid table-ish team but can be more even when missing Worrall and many.

No excuse whatsoever for fans booing because we haven’t elected to cross it, hoof it or try and force something when instead the players have elected to keep the ball, go backwards or sideways and start again. It shows a total lack of understanding IMO. 

25 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

No excuse whatsoever for fans booing because we haven’t elected to cross it, hoof it or try and force something when instead the players have elected to keep the ball, go backwards or sideways and start again. It shows a total lack of understanding IMO. 

This too wound me up quite a bit. Proper exposed how basic some people's grasp of football is.

"If the ball isn't going forward, it is bad"

There were a couple of occassions where we tried to overplay it a bit on the edge of the 18 but the booing was absolutely ludicrous. Boo a bad performance lacking effort by all means; don't boo a Vale player recycling possession. Weirdos.

Archived