onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Frustrating game as they were there for the taking but we failed to impose ourselves enough. Amoo and Browne both showed early doors that they had the beating of their marker but then rarely looked interested in doing that and instead passed backwards far too often.
Taylor and Burgess are fairly neat and tidy players in their own right but I think it's a big ask to have two inexperienced lads in such a crucial position as centre midfield. The game often passes them by and a lot of the slow passing across the back-line comes from their lack of showing for the ball when either our defence or Joyce have the ball - which often sees the player on the ball booed when it is the lack of movement in front of them that is the issue.
That said, I think we underestimate the loss of Manny and Conlon and what impact that has had - and I'm not even a great fan of Conlon. It was 66% of Askeys first choice midfield and naturally that causes massive disruption to how we set up and play.
I hope we can start to click again soon as we look like we have lost our fluidity in the last 3-4 home matches as I think that we are capable of putting a strong run together and can hold our own at the right end of the table. There is not a single good side in this league and it's there for the taking.

Advert

Love it when the doom Sayers come back. Easier to add to the ignore list!

Sounded like a poor game. We could have scored early and might have been different. But 4 points better off than last week, unbeaten at home in the league with it all to play for next week! 

UTV

Dour performance with little to excite the crowd. Actually thought Oldham showed more pace and purpose in their attacks and felt like in the Stevenage game we were hanging on for the draw and were sluggish. Lets be honest it will need a Bradford like performance if we are to take anything off the Railway Children next week. Understand Artell was at the Vale watching our game. I'm sure he will be sleeping well tonight.

i know there's a few on here who prefer Bennett to Pope but Bennett offered nothing today, could not hold up the ball, got pushed off it far too easily and did nowt except run around like a schoolboy chasing the ball. I should not single him out because 3-4 of our forward players were equally as bad. But Pope is far more physical and far better at holding on to the ball. 

It says it all when in the last home game Brown was MOTM and today it was our left back, although Monty, along with Joyce and Smith, did quite well I thought. 

But you are not going to win the game if your front three are powder puff and lack drive, directness and physicality. No real determination to power forwards and get behind their defence. Too much back and square and back for me. The game was crying out for Pope and AnOther at half time but yet again we waited far too long to make the subs. 

Powder puff and no efforts on goal after half time for the second home game in a row. Not good enough, but at least we got a point.

Teams coming to Vale Park these days realise we are not the soft touch we were last season,13 games we lost if my memory serves me right and so they set up not to get opened up by Amoo and Worrall or today Browne,we were beaten 4-1 at home by Oldham last season,we are giving teams something to think about, yes it's not perfect but it's a vast improvement.

I can see the passages of play they are trying to create especially down the right,for those moaning about us keeping possession thats what we should be trying to achieve not lumping it forward aimlessly and putting us straight back under the cosh  thats why we lost so many at home last season.

2 hours ago, Mario said:

Mistakes happen, chances go begging players slip up doesn't makes him a bad player you only have to ask Slippy G. about making a slip up at a crucial time.

Big difference between Gerrard slipping on a football pitch and someone putting the ball wide from a few yards, but whatever floats your boat. 

54 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Teams coming to Vale Park these days realise we are not the soft touch we were last season,13 games we lost if my memory serves me right and so they set up not to get opened up by Amoo and Worrall or today Browne,we were beaten 4-1 at home by Oldham last season,we are giving teams something to think about, yes it's not perfect but it's a vast improvement.

I can see the passages of play they are trying to create especially down the right,for those moaning about us keeping possession thats what we should be trying to achieve not lumping it forward aimlessly and putting us straight back under the cosh  thats why we lost so many at home last season.

Today we didn't give Oldham anything like enough to think about. Same could be said in our previous home game too against Stevenage. The fact that we didn't get beat by either side is scant consolation really. One half against Bradford apart our performances have been on a steady decline lately and we are looking like a side more in the Aspin mould again. Football is a funny old game though and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we put in a performance and get something next week against Crewe. 

To be fair playing on a heavy pitch today without Worrall was always going to be difficult after the energy put in Tuesday and we seemed to tail off later in the game.

A free week before the trainspotters will do us good and having Wozza back will help.

Small pitch against a footballing side up next should suit us if we do the high press from Tuesday.

What we’ve learnt I would say is teams are coming to VP now to be hard to breakdown and we need to find a way around that.

Monty is an odd one, plays a shocker of a cross field pass inexplicably to put them through then two minutes later plays a through ball that would be at home in the Champions League!

2 hours ago, Mario said:

Footballers making mistakes in the 4th division who would have thought it ?

Footballers do and the further down the pyramid the more inconsistent it should become along with quality, but my thoughts they were there for the taking yet we gave them far too much time to reset as we passed all the way back to the half way line from good positions to get crosses in, our first thought from midfield was to go sideways into into a packed area or backwards especially 2nd half...browne was clear on one occasion but rather than a defence splitting pass we went back to our ctr halves , coupled with the times we did get forward we just hit it against them for a corner which most weren't even delivered into the box...We had no plan or maybe just the only one and the players had no idea once this plan wasn't on..missed Worrall and some adventure/movement  overall we gave they them the point and  bit more positive play would have won

Archived