onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bradford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, valefan16 said:

Wonder if the injuries was the reason why it tailed off? They were on about looking at why so many injuries occurred and you play a lot of games the first three months of the season (think that is our last Tuesday league game until next year now)

I thought so, plus experimenting with two up top, to get Popey playing, as he doesn't really fit in the high press system.

A huge dilemma for the manager, who has a top striker who isn't playing.

Advert

That was a very good performance and showed 2 different sides to us in each half. First half we really took the game to them and second half we dug in and were resilient to withstand their pressure. 

The defence were excellent, both full backs tried to link when they could and I think both of them won their individual battles. One thing of note which has caught us out recently is defending the back post and they both did it very well last night, winning important headers. Credit to Monty too, he was getting bombarded in the first half and it’s clear that’s what Bradford had worked on, but he stood up to it well. He has a tendency to do things a winger would do but albeit in the wrong area of the pitch and he got away with it on occasions. Legge was immense, the amount of headers he won was unreal and Smith too, it was a battle in the second half which suited players like them. 

Special mention to Amoo and Worrall who did the other side of the game really well, helping their full backs, tracking back and screening so it made it hard for them to play through us. They also offered a threat going forward. 

I thought their midfield were a bit more mobile than ours but all 3 put a shift in and covered a lot of the pitch to help out. 

I also think the manager did well, I think bringing back Gibbo and Burgess worked and so did  his subs too. Bringing Atkinson on who’s decent on the ball to calm things a bit and also bringing on another centre half late on to shut up shop. 

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

So after the negativity of recent weeks lets look at the stats now:

If we repeat the form of the first 15 games over the second and third 15 games of the season we would head into the last game of the season on 63 points - even only a slight improvement over the next 2/3 of the season in form would see us into the top 7 come May.

Based on last season we are now already half way to safety (only 1 down this year too)

21 League goals scored means we have now scored over half (39) the league goals we managed in the whole season last year.

No improvement?

Great Post!

Its almost like there are more variables to consider when judging "improvement"... especially given the teams we are playing this year will look and play differently that last year... Someone should tell Biddulph_PV 🙂

47 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Wonder if the injuries was the reason why it tailed off? They were on about looking at why so many injuries occurred and you play a lot of games the first three months of the season (think that is our last Tuesday league game until next year now)

I thought this too... Lots of people slating us on here for not playing the high pressure game recently. With a threadbare squad due to injuries, and those injured players being a little cautious means we have being playing within ourselves a bit. 

The improvement vs last year is obvious and plain to see... Inconsistency will always be there at this level... Its bigger picture trends we need to consider. 

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That was a very good performance and showed 2 different sides to us in each half. First half we really took the game to them and second half we dug in and were resilient to withstand their pressure. 

The defence were excellent, both full backs tried to link when they could and I think both of them won their individual battles. One thing of note which has caught us out recently is defending the back post and they both did it very well last night, winning important headers. Credit to Monty too, he was getting bombarded in the first half and it’s clear that’s what Bradford had worked on, but he stood up to it well. He has a tendency to do things a winger would do but albeit in the wrong area of the pitch and he got away with it on occasions. Legge was immense, the amount of headers he won was unreal and Smith too, it was a battle in the second half which suited players like them. 

Special mention to Amoo and Worrall who did the other side of the game really well, helping their full backs, tracking back and screening so it made it hard for them to play through us. They also offered a threat going forward. 

I thought their midfield were a bit more mobile than ours but all 3 put a shift in and covered a lot of the pitch to help out. 

I also think the manager did well, I think bringing back Gibbo and Burgess worked and so did  his subs too. Bringing Atkinson on who’s decent on the ball to calm things a bit and also bringing on another centre half late on to shut up shop. 

I agree with all of that but I would also add some praise for Bennett too. He never stopped running and gave their defence some problems on the break, he unselfishly set up Worrall for the opener and was at the back, helping out the defence for periods in the second-half. 

10 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I bet you if you listened carefully you could hear a collective click when Atkinson scored as a bunch of OVF regulars closed their laptops!

The stats showed we had the biggest post-match surge of traffic so far this season! 😉

So it may have made the doomsayers log off but it seems the more positive fans definitely logged on to celebrate...

Long may it continue - I'm very happy to have a lot of very happy Vale fans on the forum rather than the naysayers deriding everything.

I barely slept last night from pure adrenaline just watching it on ifollow! Was hard to switch off after the roller coaster of emotions through that. Surprised I am not in the dog house for waking the wife and kids when Atkinson poked home, football, one minute we are all down in the dumps about us, talking about the wheels coming off, the next that.

Its been rare the past three years but I felt incredibly proud of the Vale and have missed feeling that. 

10 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

That was brilliant!  The best thing about it all was that we made all the efforts of an incompetent referee totally irrelevant.  Joyce, excellent.  Smith and Legge, immense.  Loved everything about the evening apart from being charged £2.30 for a cup of tea that tasted like dirty dishwater!

What an advert for Yorkshire tea, not. Difficult for the locals to swallow as well as being out smarted.

1 hour ago, robf said:

The stats showed we had the biggest post-match surge of traffic so far this season! 😉

So it may have made the doomsayers log off but it seems the more positive fans definitely logged on to celebrate...

Long may it continue - I'm very happy to have a lot of very happy Vale fans on the forum rather than the naysayers deriding everything.

Either that or the Doomsayers just sit and read grinding their teeth 🙂

Long may it continue indeed! There will be ups and downs... lets just hope people can keep theor emotions under control and not get carried away either way.

Somewhere between 10-15th without any concern of relegation is an improvement.

As the Macc fans said, Askey doesnt need money, he needs time.

I for one am lookig forward to having a manager here for a period where he can continue to mold and shape his squad!

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

Bennett was excellent.Apart from Scotty,first on Saturday’s team sheet for me.

He is an unsung hero for me.

I fully appreciate what Tom Pope has done for Vale over the years but I sincerely wish some fans could actually see what else Bennett brings to our squad. Again last night he laid balls off to colleagues giving us scoring opportunities. He may not be a header of the ball in Tom's class but he is mobile, chases everything down and does lay off many decent passes. He is a handful to opponents in a different way than Tom and it's my belief this season that opponents are so used to us hoof balling to Tom that it's catching out certain teams when Bennett runs at them and actually shield the ball before colleagues come into the picture.

Give Bennett a chance some of you Valiants. Tom can always come on and attempt to cause his havoc after Bennett has given centre backs a torrid time.

I'm a fan of Bennett. We should all support him and continue to see the benefits he's bringing to enable us to climb the table.

Archived