Sign in to follow this  
JohnJames

Frank Worthington & Alzheimer’s

Speaking to Steven Harper recently (ex Vale) and he recalls when Worthington turned a game around once for Preston North End in 1987 when Vale played there (They had the plastic pitch then) and Vale were 2-0 up ended up losing the game 3-2 and Worthington put in a really game changing performance

My claim to fame - I used to live next door to where Frank Worthington lived in the 70s (Syston, Leicestershire). Frank was long gone by the time I got there but he was well remembered. 

Seriously, there's a lot being said at the moment about the incidence of dementia and motor neurone disease in ex pros. It's being linked to heading the heavy leather ball before the mid 70s - although the ball had to be of regulation weight, as I well remember as soon it was scuffed it picked up moisture and came at you like a bullet. 

The jury's still out on this and research is ongoing into heading the vinyl ball but I hope it's a short term problem.