RailwayRowdy

Racism in football - Will it ever end ?

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:02, Davebrad said:

are we to deny our history, because our values have changed?

But what does any of the above have to do with football? Regardless of history & your political/other views outside sport, why should it ever belong at a football match, or any sports event?

I personally can't remember having taken part in singing a song that doesn't relate to Vale/Stoke/football in some way etc. Surely that's the way it should be.

On 16/10/2019 at 17:02, Davebrad said:

We've not been beholden to the Pope since 1537. I'm not sure at what point it will be time to move on?

On 16/10/2019 at 17:02, Davebrad said:

I don't anyone wants to deny historical events and certainly not downplay the sacrifices made by millions in two World Wars. However, I would say history is already remembered in history books and documentaries. I've never heard anyone say that the events and lessons of World War Two are likely to be forgotten because Port Vale fans aren't singing about them on the terraces anymore.

Personally, I think we've got plenty to celebrate from our own club history without having to nick generic songs from elsewhere. We still have two legends/cult heroes still associated with the club in John Rudge and Tom Pope. We have proud, local owners. Why not celebrate those things and show some originality/local pride rather than following the herd with the WWII bombing songs?

• Like 1

On 15/10/2019 at 18:16, Davebrad said:

I think it comes down to how its said or expressed. ie Jim Davidson and "chalky", which makes you laugh, as do " jock, taffy, murphy, honky jokes, because we can laugh at ourselves... the racist comes in when its said with hate.

Do people still laugh with Jim Davidson? He made me laugh a few years ago but that was when he was declared bankrupt. 

On 22/10/2019 at 13:00, cheshirevaliant said:

We've not been beholden to the Pope since 1537. I'm not sure at what point it will be time to move on?

You speak for yourself. And it's 1533 by the way. 😁

Racism, as in the case of simply judging someone by the colour of their skin, is the most obvious form  of discrimination. But it doesn’t end there does it ?

People love putting other people into different “boxes” and then judging them accordingly if they’re not in their “box”. Religion being the obvious one, but many others exist.

In an episode of The Likely Lads Terry & Bob are discussing this very subject in The Fat Ox when Terry quips “ I’m not even keen on people from Gateshead” (or something similar)

I long for a world where every race and creed can live in harmony. We may not always agree with each other, or indeed need to, but surely we can respect their views.

Mind you that lot down the road  may take a little more work ! 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Racism and education go hand in hand.  I am mid 40s and the folk around my age who are racist were the thick kids at school who were more interested in looking hard than actually doing anything.  They often heralded from racist parents and they in turn will pass it on to there kids.

The numbers are getting less as each generation grows up, it's just a shame we cant steralise racists to stop it once and for all.

5 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

.The numbers are getting less as each generation grows up, it's just a shame we cant steralise racists to stop it once and for all.

WOW....... not a new concept, I can remember someone else suggesting something similar

I struggle to understand racism.

If someone is an ass then they are an ass whatever their skin colour. The colour of skin doesn't determine if they are an ass or not.

It confuses me that some who discriminate against brown skin are prepared to spend thousands trying to get a tan.

Im astonished when racists don't refuse emergency treatment offered by none white skinned professionals.

I could go on.

Another oddity I find confusing is the assumption that racism is a white skin thing..... only white people are, or can be, racist.

From my experience...... whatever the skin colour..... people are trying to feed their families, trying to improve the prospects for their kids, trying to move forward with their own lives.... until something goes wrong, then they look for someone to blame and they usually aim at something/someone different.... the easy target.

Racism in football will never be eliminated unless racism in general is eliminated....... the best thing we can hope for until that happens is that the offenders and clubs are so severely punished it is not visible.