onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Racism in football - Will it ever end ?

RailwayRowdy

Advert

11 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

The N word  is used by many black people in America, when talking to another black person. Why is that not racist? Oprah Winfrey said it best. She said that the N word was the last thing that many  black people heard right before they were hung for just being black. Yet , Hip Hop is full of it. Chapelle too, but where’s the line between comedy and real life? He’s a very funny man though, and he makes great points about  America. 

Questions within questions Sean.

A lecturer once told us that humour used as shown above is, in his opinion, a convenient mask that fails badly in hiding a comedian's true feelings i.e. they are being disingenuous when saying it's just humour.

That was back in the '80s and his passion for civil rights was palpable - to say the least. So much so he encouraged us to precis the 1962 publication The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin re. the one hundredth anniversary of Emancipation plus other issues of the role of race and religion in America.

Sean, each time I read 'Harlem, America' I found it easy to translate it to mean 'Anywhere, the World'.

Have attitudes changed? Obviously a moot question.

Barry 🙂

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:02, Davebrad said:

are we to deny our history, because our values have changed?

But what does any of the above have to do with football? Regardless of history & your political/other views outside sport, why should it ever belong at a football match, or any sports event?

I personally can't remember having taken part in singing a song that doesn't relate to Vale/Stoke/football in some way etc. Surely that's the way it should be.

On 16/10/2019 at 17:02, Davebrad said:

are we to deny our history, because our values have changed?

I don't anyone wants to deny historical events and certainly not downplay the sacrifices made by millions in two World Wars. However, I would say history is already remembered in history books and documentaries. I've never heard anyone say that the events and lessons of World War Two are likely to be forgotten because Port Vale fans aren't singing about them on the terraces anymore.

Personally, I think we've got plenty to celebrate from our own club history without having to nick generic songs from elsewhere. We still have two legends/cult heroes still associated with the club in John Rudge and Tom Pope. We have proud, local owners. Why not celebrate those things and show some originality/local pride rather than following the herd with the WWII bombing songs?

On 15/10/2019 at 18:16, Davebrad said:

I think it comes down to how its said or expressed. ie Jim Davidson and "chalky", which makes you laugh, as do " jock, taffy, murphy, honky jokes, because we can laugh at ourselves... the racist comes in when its said with hate.

Do people still laugh with Jim Davidson? He made me laugh a few years ago but that was when he was declared bankrupt. 

Racism, as in the case of simply judging someone by the colour of their skin, is the most obvious form  of discrimination. But it doesn’t end there does it ?

People love putting other people into different “boxes” and then judging them accordingly if they’re not in their “box”. Religion being the obvious one, but many others exist.

In an episode of The Likely Lads Terry & Bob are discussing this very subject in The Fat Ox when Terry quips “ I’m not even keen on people from Gateshead” (or something similar)

I long for a world where every race and creed can live in harmony. We may not always agree with each other, or indeed need to, but surely we can respect their views.

Mind you that lot down the road  may take a little more work ! 

I struggle to understand racism.

If someone is an ass then they are an ass whatever their skin colour. The colour of skin doesn't determine if they are an ass or not.

It confuses me that some who discriminate against brown skin are prepared to spend thousands trying to get a tan.

Im astonished when racists don't refuse emergency treatment offered by none white skinned professionals.

I could go on.

Another oddity I find confusing is the assumption that racism is a white skin thing..... only white people are, or can be, racist.

From my experience...... whatever the skin colour..... people are trying to feed their families, trying to improve the prospects for their kids, trying to move forward with their own lives.... until something goes wrong, then they look for someone to blame and they usually aim at something/someone different.... the easy target.

Racism in football will never be eliminated unless racism in general is eliminated....... the best thing we can hope for until that happens is that the offenders and clubs are so severely punished it is not visible.

Archived