Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Have I actually read that Pope isn't the player he was in the promotion season ?

You do know we went up in 12/13 now 7 years ago ? 

Strange statement to make

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Have I actually read that Pope isn't the player he was in the promotion season ?

You do know we went up in 12/13 now 7 years ago ? 

Strange statement to make

Exactly...the club should be moving on with the players they play and build for the next five years. The 2 year contract for a spent Tom Pope was a ridiculous decision

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Exactly...the club should be moving on with the players they play and build for the next five years. The 2 year contract for a spent Tom Pope was a ridiculous decision

Let's ruin another thread eh.

7 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

Aren't threads all about diverse opinions

Sure. It's banging on about the same thing over and over. Like a stuck record. We get it. You don't rate Pope. 

9 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Post Bosman no club at this level can plan 5 years out. 2 years is the absolute maximum.

Pope is clearly still good enough to play at this level, if we offered him out on loan in January 9 or 10 other clubs would snap him up. The areas of legitimate debate are;

Is he currently better than our other strikers - I not sure how I would rate the 4 options at the moment

Does his current wage represent value for money. Without knowing what he's on impossible to answer. At 500 a week he would be a bargain, at 3000 a week I'd say he wasn't. The truth is he's probably somewhere in the middle. All we know is he's on less than when he was at Bury. I suspect he's on a higher wage than most of our squad and will probably be offered a reduced wage when his contract runs out.

The truth is he isn't as good as 7 years ago, which is hardly surprising. He is more one dimensional but he is good as an old fashioned target man.

31 minutes ago, geosname said:

I hate to drag this thread back on topic..... but

4 - 0 

We would all love a score like that, fingers crossed.

Any win today. Pope to score. He is our best striker by a mile. Should be playing the full 90 minutes in my opinion.

JA reckons Stevenage have changed their horrible, cheating tactics. I hope he's right for the sake of the entertainment factor. 

1 minute ago, valiant steve said:

Any win today. Pope to score. He is our best striker by a mile. Should be playing the full 90 minutes in my opinion.

JA reckons Stevenage have changed their horrible, cheating tactics. I hope he's right for the sake of the entertainment factor. 

Teams struggle to kill games if the don't score first.

1 minute ago, whotobeakiller said:

A couple of posters predicting Pope will score...has the lineup been announced or do they know something the rest of us don't?!!

Ohh Bennett's in the starting line up and Amoo's back. If Pope's going score he needs to come off the bench again

1 minute ago, whotobeakiller said:

Ohh Bennett's in the starting line up and Amoo's back. If Pope's going score he needs to come off the bench again

happy then?

Edited by jockyboy

17 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Over the top as ridiculous, but I would have gone 12 months with an option fo4 a further season

Edited by Bald Eagle

Decent enough line up on paper that, plenty of pace with both Monty and Amoo to occupy their full backs and Wozza with his energy in the midfield three is not a bad thing.

44 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

Don’t agree. Bennett has looked a better player in our system than pope this season. Pope to come on around 60 mins is perfect but Bennett is rightly starting today. 

• Like 1