Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

We are a much better team than last year and the development is obvious. To play 433 the forwards must be involved, effect and scoring. Can't find a combination that works presently. But we could have won 1-0 but Bennett made a big error not marking properly and then making one of the most blatant and obvious pull backs I can recall for their pen.

10 minutes ago, Warren said:

We are a much better team than last year and the development is obvious. To play 433 the forwards must be involved, effect and scoring. Can't find a combination that works presently. But we could have won 1-0 but Bennett made a big error not marking properly and then making one of the most blatant and obvious pull backs I can recall for their pen.

It was Crookes. Bennett wasn't involved.

1 minute ago, Warren said:

I'll have to go to Specsavers - I just remember their player flailing.

Bennett was near to, and did a lot of moaning. So easy mistake to make.

29 minutes ago, Warren said:

We will judge if we are much better as you put it come the end of the season. We’re the same now as were last season aren’t we? And we now have Bradford and Crewe where we will quite possibly get a tonking in both games. Oldham is a big game or we will be slipping down that table rapidly. 

you look at performances like Macclesfield and today and there’s not a chance we’ve improved sadly. 

It's all well and good passing the ball and keeping possession, but at times it needs to move quicker to open up teams. We were way to predictable again today and easy to defend against. Too many passes backwards and sidewards, no killer passes. We needed to introduce some pace late on ie Archer, but I dont think we made 3 substitutions? I know the rebuild is going to be a slow process, but it just gets frustrating watching it. Dont enjoy moaning about performances, but 1 point from Macc and Stevenage, shows us how much further we need to improve.
Having said that, were not expected to get anything from Bradford and Crewe, so in typical Vale fashion we will get a draw and a win. (Hopefully) come on you whites!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Warren said:

To play 433 the forwards must be involved, effect and scoring.

The only forwards who can get a game are wingers or target men. I’m not sure how Askey envisages Archer or Cullen fitting into his preferred system.

1 hour ago, osprey said:

4 games lost out of 14 matches ...... we are mid table

Wins are better than draws. You have ten matches...win 4 of those you have twelve points. Draw all ten matches you only have 10 points!!!

someone said these last 3 games we winnable well won 1 drew 1 lost 1 with 1 good 45 minutes out of the lot against 10 men sums us up at the moment, I don't lknow whats going on but I don't think askey knows his best 11 or the best system to use for some reason, we keep swapping and changing the midfield and strikers plus our full backs aren't playing the best either out the next 3 games weve got the top 2 away 

Edited by t.punchard
added extra

1 hour ago, connor hackett said:

It's all well and good passing the ball and keeping possession, but at times it needs to move quicker to open up teams. We were way to predictable again today and easy to defend against. Too many passes backwards and sidewards, no killer passes. We needed to introduce some pace late on ie Archer, but I dont think we made 3 substitutions? I know the rebuild is going to be a slow process, but it just gets frustrating watching it. Dont enjoy moaning about performances, but 1 point from Macc and Stevenage, shows us how much further we need to improve.
Having said that, were not expected to get anything from Bradford and Crewe, so in typical Vale fashion we will get a draw and a win. (Hopefully) come on you whites!!

Yes, but in keeping possession we just keep working our way back towards our own goal often resulting in either the full backs getting clearances blocked or going back for Brown to lump it up.   When we choose to play it forward there must be more options available and with 2 midfielders sitting deep the only option is either hit it towards the lone striker ( often marked by 2 central defenders) or playing it backwards again.

2 hours ago, Santa said:

The only forwards who can get a game are wingers or target men. I’m not sure how Askey envisages Archer or Cullen fitting into his preferred system.

What has happened to Askey,s pressing game?

Starting with one up front against a bottom of the table team at home is pathetic.

Again we score first but then sit back and invite them to come at us.

The second half was same as last week at Macc with no effort or will to get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck and try to win it.from the players or the Manager.

Actually we were lucky to get a draw.

Edited by Erniemossrules
  • Like 2

To go all trendy, we are not good "in transition". We are slow to regroup when we loose it, and slow to move it forward when we win it,

13 minutes ago, toyahw said:

To go all trendy, we are not good "in transition". We are slow to regroup when we loose it, and slow to move it forward when we win it,

What are you trying to say, we are just <ovf censored>? 

8 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

What are you trying to say, we are just <ovf censored>? 

No, naïve and easily sussed at this time. And a bit lazy.

Edited by toyahw

7 minutes ago, geosname said:

Rowlocks..........

"Naïve and easily sussed at this time. And a bit lazy"

Would have thought that was fair comment Geo?

18 minutes ago, toyahw said:

"Naïve and easily sussed at this time. And a bit lazy"

Would have thought that was fair comment Geo?

Sorry mate it was a reaction to the result not your post.... which is a very fair comment