onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert

Less concerned about who/what formation we play, more concerned about how those players who are selected perform. Struggling to think of any outfield player who came out of the last 2 games with any credit, no surprise Brown won MOTM.  Amoo looked like he was strolling along the promenade at Blackpool, only thing missing was a parasol.  Having said that agree playing Worrall in midfield takes away his good work out wide, surely where we get the best from him.

Interesting reflecting on Tom Pope's comment in the Sentinel after the Mac game " If 11 players dont perform, you've got no chance " Spot on Tom the fans agree with you 100%. Following the Stevenage game one can only assume your team mates dont read the Sentinel.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Personally I think yesterday was a hangover from the disaster of last week. By all means go back to the basics of the 4-3-3 system we’ve used but for me I think we should have gone with some players in different roles to make them more effective.

As already touched on I think Worrall is wasted as part of the midfield 3, he would be wide right every time for me. He offers too much there to be sacrificed in a deeper role. As a result of moving him I’d have played Atkinson in the middle to get on the ball and try and dictate play, that would have meant Gibbons in at right back. (I think he was unlucky to have had 1 dodgy game and then be dropped immediately). Our best formation IMO sees him and Worrall on that right hand side. I’d have started Amoo to the left and I’d also start with Pope rather than him being a sub and then change that later in the game if need be.

As it stood though and as the game unfolded yesterday I thought there were some performances that looked half hearted to me. In particular from the front 3. At times Amoo was strolling around, he could be an unbelievable player as he has everything, but you can see why he’s been mainly stuck at league 2 level all his career. He doesn’t show what he can do enough. We know what we’ll get from Monty, some flashes of brilliance and he’ll disappear for spells. But yesterday I thought he was anonymous for most of the game and that left hand side is a worry. Bennett is such a frustrating player, he does not put himself about enough, he is not physical enough, he doesn’t win enough headers (in fact he looks a player who doesn’t want to head it) and with him as the focal point of the front 3 we are almost a man down at times and again he’s strolling around for much of the game. He was lucky to stay on the pitch yesterday and not be subbed IMO. I said on here at some point during the game that Bennett hasn’t won a header in the box yet, that almost came back to haunt me as he got on the end of a great ball in from Gibbo late on. He should have done better with it and it’s a pity that one didn’t fall to Pope. 

Funnily enough in that second half someone shouted at Askey from behind me saying “get Popey and Gibbo on, they’ll play for the shirt”. I didn’t see enough desire yesterday from players. I’m not saying those 2 were the answer, but I think it highlighted what we all saw yesterday and that went against our previous games. Players giving it there all and looking like they wanted to put in a shift for us. But as an attacking force we hardly got anything going, we had a few good spells maybe, but overall it was so scrappy, we looked disjointed and we didn’t get back to how we know that we can play. In the end we let them dictate the play for most of the second half and again I think Askey was too slow to react with his changes. As the game wore on I think it was beginning to pass Taylor by. I know we’re all football managers ourselves but I think I would have done the changes earlier. But someone please tell me what the point of Gibbo coming on with only ten minutes was about?  Who can affect a game in such a short space of time? Anyway I think he should have been bold and been bold earlier, with Monty, Taylor and Bennet off and Gibbo, Pope and Archer on. That would have given us 2 different striker options up front and Worrall and Gibbo back down the right. 

Having seen the highlights back this morning, that pull back by Crookes on their lad looks more visible than it did on yesterday’s slowed down close up on here. Certainly the lads gone down easy, but the pull is there. The subject of Crookes, is a bit of an elephant in the room, he gave the ball away a lot in the first half and got caught out defensively more than once too, especially in the second half. It’s a concern for sure, but we don’t have any other options there do we. So I don’t know what the answer is, but it definitely isn’t dropping Monty back though.

I listened to Williams comments on the radio before as we drove in and after the game on the way home, I think he was spot on with what he was saying about the selection and then the subsequent performance. It’s frustrating to watch when something looks like it’s not working and the mangers waits and waits to change it. We aren’t proactive enough in changing things. Their wingbacks rarely got forward and I think we could have gone 2 up top a lot earlier than we did. But I actually think we were lucky to get away with a draw because they had some good chances in that second half, arguably much better than we created all game. 

I’ve no idea what we do for the Bradford game after that yesterday. Stay as we are or make some changes?

Absolutely spot on. great post.

37 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

2 points cover positions 8 to 16, but where will we

The fact that we could have been 8th is irrelevant , its obvious to anyone we haven't got a team /squad that will be pressing for the play offs !

To be in the playoffs we are going to have to accumulate at least 70 points , which even now would mean we would need to win 1 out of every 2 games for the rest of the season, given we cant win away from home that's highly unlikely !    

On the discussion about our best starting line up, more than a few posters have said that the best we've played this season was the first half at Orient. The line up that day, after Manny had gone off on 9 minutes, was:

Brown

Gibson  Legge  Smith  Crookes

Taylor  Joyce  Burgess

Worrall  Pope  Amoo

This selection had the benefit of keeping the Gibbo/Worrall partnership on the right with Worrall in his best position and two attacking midfield players in front of Joyce. Don't know what went wrong in the second half because I wasn't there but this seems to have produced the best spell of form we've had. Time to revert back to this starting line up, perhaps. 

Left back is a problem area for us and continues to be so. Campbell-Gordon isnt ready yet. Monty would be a liability there. If the management deemed things to be so bad the only other option I see is Gibbons there, he played there at the back end of the 2017-2018 season if I remember correctly. But yet again we’d be making do and arguably weakening our right hand side possibly. I think left back is the only area that we’re short in and can see someone coming in in January. 

49 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Left back is a problem area for us and continues to be so. Campbell-Gordon isnt ready yet. Monty would be a liability there. If the management deemed things to be so bad the only other option I see is Gibbons there, he played there at the back end of the 2017-2018 season if I remember correctly. But yet again we’d be making do and arguably weakening our right hand side possibly. I think left back is the only area that we’re short in and can see someone coming in in January. 

Taylor can play at LB says so himself, can’t be no worse than Crookes put it that way 

Archived