onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert

someone said these last 3 games we winnable well won 1 drew 1 lost 1 with 1 good 45 minutes out of the lot against 10 men sums us up at the moment, I don't lknow whats going on but I don't think askey knows his best 11 or the best system to use for some reason, we keep swapping and changing the midfield and strikers plus our full backs aren't playing the best either out the next 3 games weve got the top 2 away 

1 hour ago, connor hackett said:

It's all well and good passing the ball and keeping possession, but at times it needs to move quicker to open up teams. We were way to predictable again today and easy to defend against. Too many passes backwards and sidewards, no killer passes. We needed to introduce some pace late on ie Archer, but I dont think we made 3 substitutions? I know the rebuild is going to be a slow process, but it just gets frustrating watching it. Dont enjoy moaning about performances, but 1 point from Macc and Stevenage, shows us how much further we need to improve.
Having said that, were not expected to get anything from Bradford and Crewe, so in typical Vale fashion we will get a draw and a win. (Hopefully) come on you whites!!

Yes, but in keeping possession we just keep working our way back towards our own goal often resulting in either the full backs getting clearances blocked or going back for Brown to lump it up.   When we choose to play it forward there must be more options available and with 2 midfielders sitting deep the only option is either hit it towards the lone striker ( often marked by 2 central defenders) or playing it backwards again.

2 hours ago, Santa said:

The only forwards who can get a game are wingers or target men. I’m not sure how Askey envisages Archer or Cullen fitting into his preferred system.

What has happened to Askey,s pressing game?

Starting with one up front against a bottom of the table team at home is pathetic.

Again we score first but then sit back and invite them to come at us.

The second half was same as last week at Macc with no effort or will to get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck and try to win it.from the players or the Manager.

Actually we were lucky to get a draw.

Fed up about listening to the Ray Williams love child Tom Pope love in. First thing Tom did when he came on was to concede a foul and the last thing he did was to concede another oul, but enough said on that matter. Right now we look like we are trying to accommodate a system, rather than helping our players to play to their strengths. Tom is a great talisman, but is not the answer that makes all our problems disappear, so apologies for the unintended direct criticism, as we would be a poorer team without Tom at our disposal.

• Worral playing too deep most of the time, therefore stifling his ability to hurt teams offensively. Worral is not a like for like replacement for Manny, so don’t use him as such.  He should be on the right wing in place of the inconsistent Amoo, where he’s been most effective, particularly when supported by a right back to link with. 
  • Amoo, impact sub as an option to add fresh legs if needed
  • Montano, hardly ever has a good game when in the starting eleven, read for Amoo
  • Back four are on the whole steady when it comes to basic defending, but apart from Atkinson, are woefully uncomfortable on the ball which results in the alarming surrender of possession with Crookes looking like a liability coupled with a general theme of poor decision making which runs throughout the team. 
  • Midfield unit lack forward drive and are defensively set up which means that apart from the exception rather than the rule, aren’t able to productively support in a creative or offensive capacity, which is why we’re struggling to pose much threat, even when Colon is there, because he’s quickly evolving in to another backwards sideways player.  We may seem like we’ve missed him, but before his injury, he’d also started to have some poor performances 
  • No problem with Joyce as a sitting midfielder, but we can’t have three of them, which is why Worral needs to be released to the right and young Burgess needs to be reinstated with positive brief, with Taylor linking with him and Joyce.
  • In attack, as mentioned above, midfield needs more incisive contribution to support whoever is the lead striker. Bennett has ability to create for himself and is willing to unleash that left foot but can look average if the midfield link up isn’t happening. Archer has lots of promise, but needs a break to get long enough on the field to show why he should be there, the odd ten minutes won’t prove anything.
  • Left side as a whole is a bit of a conundrum with little depth and needs urgent attention to strengthen and balance the team. 
  • One final point on the overall improvement or otherwise, is that we all want to see progress and many on OVF want to see this in significant ways. Perhaps this is because they think we’re better or should be better than we are. Well for me, the unholy mess that the club was in up to May 5th shows progress by the very nature that we have games to actually come and watch.  Right now we’re not great and in a poor vein of form and yes areas of the squad needs improvement. Who really thought that this was going to be instant or without issues, or even mistakes being made?  Years of rot are not rectified with quick fixes and it may take longer than many are prepared to wait to achieve success on the field.  As supporters, it doesn’t mean that we can’t have a moan and express opinion and concerns when we’re not top of the league, but we can only make a positive impact by actually supporting the club, so as Vale supporters, let’s have a go at doing just that 

5 hours ago, Old fort said:

Fed up about listening to the Ray Williams love child Tom Pope love in. First thing Tom did when he came on was to concede a foul and the last thing he did was to concede another oul, but enough said on that matter. Right now we look like we are trying to accommodate a system, rather than helping our players to play to their strengths. Tom is a great talisman, but is not the answer that makes all our problems disappear, so apologies for the unintended direct criticism, as we would be a poorer team without Tom at our disposal.

• Worral playing too deep most of the time, therefore stifling his ability to hurt teams offensively. Worral is not a like for like replacement for Manny, so don’t use him as such.  He should be on the right wing in place of the inconsistent Amoo, where he’s been most effective, particularly when supported by a right back to link with. 
  • Amoo, impact sub as an option to add fresh legs if needed
  • Montano, hardly ever has a good game when in the starting eleven, read for Amoo
  • Back four are on the whole steady when it comes to basic defending, but apart from Atkinson, are woefully uncomfortable on the ball which results in the alarming surrender of possession with Crookes looking like a liability coupled with a general theme of poor decision making which runs throughout the team. 
  • Midfield unit lack forward drive and are defensively set up which means that apart from the exception rather than the rule, aren’t able to productively support in a creative or offensive capacity, which is why we’re struggling to pose much threat, even when Colon is there, because he’s quickly evolving in to another backwards sideways player.  We may seem like we’ve missed him, but before his injury, he’d also started to have some poor performances 
  • No problem with Joyce as a sitting midfielder, but we can’t have three of them, which is why Worral needs to be released to the right and young Burgess needs to be reinstated with positive brief, with Taylor linking with him and Joyce.
  • In attack, as mentioned above, midfield needs more incisive contribution to support whoever is the lead striker. Bennett has ability to create for himself and is willing to unleash that left foot but can look average if the midfield link up isn’t happening. Archer has lots of promise, but needs a break to get long enough on the field to show why he should be there, the odd ten minutes won’t prove anything.
  • Left side as a whole is a bit of a conundrum with little depth and needs urgent attention to strengthen and balance the team. 
  • One final point on the overall improvement or otherwise, is that we all want to see progress and many on OVF want to see this in significant ways. Perhaps this is because they think we’re better or should be better than we are. Well for me, the unholy mess that the club was in up to May 5th shows progress by the very nature that we have games to actually come and watch.  Right now we’re not great and in a poor vein of form and yes areas of the squad needs improvement. Who really thought that this was going to be instant or without issues, or even mistakes being made?  Years of rot are not rectified with quick fixes and it may take longer than many are prepared to wait to achieve success on the field.  As supporters, it doesn’t mean that we can’t have a moan and express opinion and concerns when we’re not top of the league, but we can only make a positive impact by actually supporting the club, so as Vale supporters, let’s have a go at doing just that 

This is an excellent post.

Constructive and contextual.

Brilliant.

Personally I think yesterday was a hangover from the disaster of last week. By all means go back to the basics of the 4-3-3 system we’ve used but for me I think we should have gone with some players in different roles to make them more effective.

As already touched on I think Worrall is wasted as part of the midfield 3, he would be wide right every time for me. He offers too much there to be sacrificed in a deeper role. As a result of moving him I’d have played Atkinson in the middle to get on the ball and try and dictate play, that would have meant Gibbons in at right back. (I think he was unlucky to have had 1 dodgy game and then be dropped immediately). Our best formation IMO sees him and Worrall on that right hand side. I’d have started Amoo to the left and I’d also start with Pope rather than him being a sub and then change that later in the game if need be.

As it stood though and as the game unfolded yesterday I thought there were some performances that looked half hearted to me. In particular from the front 3. At times Amoo was strolling around, he could be an unbelievable player as he has everything, but you can see why he’s been mainly stuck at league 2 level all his career. He doesn’t show what he can do enough. We know what we’ll get from Monty, some flashes of brilliance and he’ll disappear for spells. But yesterday I thought he was anonymous for most of the game and that left hand side is a worry. Bennett is such a frustrating player, he does not put himself about enough, he is not physical enough, he doesn’t win enough headers (in fact he looks a player who doesn’t want to head it) and with him as the focal point of the front 3 we are almost a man down at times and again he’s strolling around for much of the game. He was lucky to stay on the pitch yesterday and not be subbed IMO. I said on here at some point during the game that Bennett hasn’t won a header in the box yet, that almost came back to haunt me as he got on the end of a great ball in from Gibbo late on. He should have done better with it and it’s a pity that one didn’t fall to Pope. 

Funnily enough in that second half someone shouted at Askey from behind me saying “get Popey and Gibbo on, they’ll play for the shirt”. I didn’t see enough desire yesterday from players. I’m not saying those 2 were the answer, but I think it highlighted what we all saw yesterday and that went against our previous games. Players giving it there all and looking like they wanted to put in a shift for us. But as an attacking force we hardly got anything going, we had a few good spells maybe, but overall it was so scrappy, we looked disjointed and we didn’t get back to how we know that we can play. In the end we let them dictate the play for most of the second half and again I think Askey was too slow to react with his changes. As the game wore on I think it was beginning to pass Taylor by. I know we’re all football managers ourselves but I think I would have done the changes earlier. But someone please tell me what the point of Gibbo coming on with only ten minutes was about?  Who can affect a game in such a short space of time? Anyway I think he should have been bold and been bold earlier, with Monty, Taylor and Bennet off and Gibbo, Pope and Archer on. That would have given us 2 different striker options up front and Worrall and Gibbo back down the right. 

Having seen the highlights back this morning, that pull back by Crookes on their lad looks more visible than it did on yesterday’s slowed down close up on here. Certainly the lads gone down easy, but the pull is there. The subject of Crookes, is a bit of an elephant in the room, he gave the ball away a lot in the first half and got caught out defensively more than once too, especially in the second half. It’s a concern for sure, but we don’t have any other options there do we. So I don’t know what the answer is, but it definitely isn’t dropping Monty back though.

I listened to Williams comments on the radio before as we drove in and after the game on the way home, I think he was spot on with what he was saying about the selection and then the subsequent performance. It’s frustrating to watch when something looks like it’s not working and the mangers waits and waits to change it. We aren’t proactive enough in changing things. Their wingbacks rarely got forward and I think we could have gone 2 up top a lot earlier than we did. But I actually think we were lucky to get away with a draw because they had some good chances in that second half, arguably much better than we created all game. 

I’ve no idea what we do for the Bradford game after that yesterday. Stay as we are or make some changes?

So Burgess and Archer do not get a look in yet we continue all game with players who were not quite at it .

The pen for me was a pen disappointing because we scored a lovely goal it we had 67 minutes to raise the performance and get the win ,to read we were indebted to Scott Brown tells you all that we are doing our usual sliding down the table and non performing act .

Worrall is not a central midfielder and he should be put in the position he plays his best football in right half .

Burgess to be reinstated and Brisley to put in a three at the back with Gibbons and Montano as attacking full backs 

Archer and Pope to lead the attack and Burgess to bomb on with Taylor ,Joyce to be dropped .

Try something new wearers predictable as .

Archived