onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

It wasn’t a dreadful game to honest. It was simply an even match, which as someone has said was against a Stevenage side who are unlikely to be anywhere near the bottom come May. 

Unfortunately it was mid table 4th division stuff, which doesn’t bode well for a season which will probably end up as dull as that sounds. 

We didn’t look dreadful, but we offered little and it never looked liked we would score more than once. 

Advert

I thought it was an improvement on last week (but couldn’t get worse). Pity Worrell’s or Bennett’s efforts didn’t go in as they would have given us the 3pts. However they deserved a draw and we were indebted to Scott Brown in making three excellent saves. 

We seemed to run out of energy in the second half particularly in midfield. I think we need to try different personnel in midfield, I thought Joyce and Montano were very average today. I also think Archer is due a start as well as Brisley.

4 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I thought it was an improvement on last week (but couldn’t get worse). Pity Worrell’s or Bennett’s efforts didn’t go in as they would have given us the 3pts. However they deserved a draw and we were indebted to Scott Brown in making three excellent saves. 

We seemed to run out of energy in the second half particularly in midfield. I think we need to try different personnel in midfield, I thought Joyce and Montano were very average today. I also think Archer is due a start as well as Brisley.

Montano was below average. Joyce was average, but at least  he showed he gave a <ovf censored>

4 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

However they deserved a draw and we were indebted to Scott Brown in making three excellent saves. 

And Smithy for clearing calmly off the line after the ball had squirmed under Brown (RS didn't mention that).

43 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Have our nice new owners sown the seeds for our players and Manager to have a cushy life?

There seems to be no desire to challenge to win balls and again no will to get stuck in and grind out a win.

Last weeks game at Macc and this weeks game against Stevenage show that there is little improvement from last year.Both games should have been winnable games and really today sums it up when Our goalkeeper was man of the match and kept us in the game.

Askey doesn’t seem to have a clue how to motivate his players or change tactics when we are not playing well.

He perseveres playing Crookes at left back when he is an accident waiting to happen but has no idea how to replace him.

I thought there would be a reaction from the players after last weeks dire display.

but they carried on where they left off last week.

Our star signing Amoo seems to have vanished down a rabbit hole and is non existent but still wasn’t replaced.

The question is will Askey survive until after Christmas if this poor form doesn’t improve.

Crewe must be looking forward to playing us in a fortnight.

Why are they winnable games we have a team (goalkeeper apart) full of journey men on one year contracts, Stevenage and Macclesfield probably have the same ! So I'd argue that a defeat away and a draw at home is about where we are !   

20 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Let’s hope both of our faith in Archer is justified. I have a good feeling about him, but I’ve been known to be wrong before 😄

Crookes is another pressing issue. What is the view of the majority on here? Stick with him? Or replace him for the next game? And if so, with who? 

Crookes is indeed a pressing issue. Playing a centre back, however good he is in that position, at left back is a hostage to fortune. What do the stats say about him? How many goals have we conceded from crosses down that flank? Today, Sky said that Crewe destroyed Swindon down their flanks, so they are going to target Crookes like there's no tomorrow. This is NOT having a dig at Crookes but at the decision to play him at left back instead of recruiting a proper, experienced player specifically for that position. Arthur must know it's a weakness but at present he has no options. It wouldn't surprise me if we see Campbell-Gordon there before the end of the season. 

Really disappointing performance, especially after last week when you would normally expect a positive reaction.  A good early start, conceded an unfortunate penalty (which could have gone either way), and they came to spoil as usual (assisted by an incompetent referee) and we had no answer and looked the poorer side.

Brown, Smith, Legge and Atkinson the only ones anywhere near what was required.  Taylor excellent first half, but disappeared after the break.  I know it won’t be a popular comment on here, but for all his huff and puff Wozza rarely creates chances and seldom scores.

Surprised at the substitutions, Monty wrongly taken off for me as he was the one who was trying to break through their back 5, rather than tippy tap in front of it.  Amoo very poor aside from the goal and should have been replaced.  We were crying out for more pace and movement yet went for the static Pope rather than introducing Archer and Browne.  Gibbo at least did give us some life down the right.

Tough away games at Bradford and Crewe coming up, where we need to start picking points up on the road to maintain some impetus.

Poor. Again. Substitutions too late and without impact. Again. Askey is a manager far more concerned with not losing rather than winning a game. We struggled today with a simple lack of bodies in the box and didn't look like breaking down a poor Stevenage outfit. I've said a few times this season that we were are a mid table side but the last two weeks we've looked worse than that and it's a good job that only one team goes down. We all knew the mess that Smurfwaite left behind couldn't be rectified in a season but it still hard work watching the dross served up the last two weeks.

Think we need to put Taylor/Monty at LB these next few games.

Crookes playing out of position and looks out of his depth so change it for the next few games

I don’t think we’d miss Monty if we did put him there and then have a front 3 of Archer, Bennet, Browne 

Taylor we can all see the potential he’s got and it’s about time we had someone in midfield who was chipping in with a goal or willing to shoot!

Poor again today hopefully it’s just a blip

I don’t think it was a simple case of needing to  put more bodies in the box, they effectively played a flat back five. However there were plenty of spaces around the pitch to be exploited if we were a bit braver on the ball in the middle of the park. 

The Montaño/Pope sub left us worse off because we lost our shape down the left hand side; and I don’t think Monty had a particularly good game either.

21 minutes ago, DistantVale said:

All he said was that things were unravelling on the field !  

It’s quite a broad statement and I’m not sure exactly what he means by the comment. It’s certainly open to interpretation. It would be interesting to hear from other fans to get their opinion on the comment.

I only attend home games but have been to all the league games at Vale Park so far this season. Two things stand out to me in every game. Firstly a Vale player receiving the ball in his own half immediately tries to find Joyce which in turn slows the play down but if the pass is on for Joyce, Joyce then invariably goes sideways or back to Legge or Smith further frustrating the fans and gives the opposition time to regroup. Secondly, all visiting teams target our left hand side which exposes Crookes as he isn’t a natural left back. Along with terrible referees, the past three home games against Mansfield, Morecambe and Stevenage have produced three poor performances but the positive is that we haven’t lost any of them. Whereas we were known last season as ‘Port Vale Nil’, we are now ‘We would have lost that last season Port Vale’. Disappointing stuff today.

Archived