onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

14 hours ago, SFBT said:

Fair point.

However, having a regular pattern helps this.

Gibbons, for example, is used to a particular way of playing and his usual outlets were not available on Saturday. Consequently he had a nightmare.

I do think we would benefit from some stability.

Do you really think it was the systems fault? Gibbo has been poor in some games this season, Atkinson looked decent there against Morecambe, should we give him a go this weekend? 

Advert

4 hours ago, JordB31 said:

Do you really think it was the systems fault? Gibbo has been poor in some games this season, Atkinson looked decent there against Morecambe, should we give him a go this weekend? 

Clearly it's not either/ or.

There's a complex interaction between players and systems, otherwise there wouldn't be any need for systems.

The point I'm trying to make is that we had a system that was working, and it was refreshingly high tempo.

It has changed in the last few weeks due to injuries and trying to, in my opinion, get the best out of Tom Pope.

In the process, we seem to have lost direction and clarity in how we play.

So I'd like to see a return to the system that seemed to suit most of the team, was effective and was entertaining to watch.

As Kevan says, based on Sat no one could moan about being dropped. But on here, it always goes back to bashing the usual targets. Smith, Gibbons, Pope. 

I'll tell you what, there were equally bad performances*. By players that never even get a mention here. 

We have a glaring problem. Just youtube how many goals we concede down our left. We do not have a left back. Crookes is makeshift in that position. It is clear as day. We haven't had a proper left back since I can't remember when.

Which makes us very lopsided. In defense and attack.

*Thought Smith had a good game myself.

6 hours ago, JordB31 said:

Gibbo had a bad game in using the ball at Macc, and that was his worst game of the season, but playing how we have been doing all season he’s been a big part of what’s made us so good, especially going forward. I don’t see why Askey gave that part of our identity up at the weekend. I also don’t see why we should try Atkinson there when he can probably do a better job in his proper position in midfield in place of Conlon. I know people will say he played full back for Mansfield, but he isn’t a natural full back and with us playing without a natural left back I’m not sure we should be doing the same at right back too. Toya makes a good point, it’s strange how the default position for criticising players is the local lads.

Worrall had a bad game Saturday, should we drop him too?

Askey messEd up at Macc. I know we played 2 up top v morecambe, but that was against ten men in a game we were chasing. Plus we played with width to get the ball in to the box in that game. The week before at Orient we played 4-3-3 against a team who set up like Macc with wing backs and we were unbelievable in that first half, performance of the season for me. On Saturday Askeys system meant we had no width at all and just lumped the ball into channels for the forwards and the ball kept coming back or we gave it away. Why play 2 big men up front and no width? Players like Amoo, worrall, gibbons and monty have given us width and crosses all season. I just don’t get why he changed it.

27 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Worrall had a bad game 

I agree with all your points mate. But I didn't think Worrall had a bad game as such. Just the most screwed over by the whacky system. Just wasted as "the point of the diamond".  Couldn't get in the game.

4 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I agree with all your points mate. But I didn't think Worrall had a bad game as such. Just the most screwed over by the whacky system. Just wasted as "the point of the diamond".  Couldn't get in the game.

Agreed probably bad was the wrong choice of word, moreso he was totally out of the game and didn’t offer us anything. 

2 hours ago, toyahw said:

As Kevan says, based on Sat no one could moan about being dropped. But on here, it always goes back to bashing the usual targets. Smith, Gibbons, Pope. 

I'll tell you what, there were equally bad performances*. By players that never even get a mention here. 

We have a glaring problem. Just youtube how many goals we concede down our left. We do not have a left back. Crookes is makeshift in that position. It is clear as day. We haven't had a proper left back since I can't remember when.

Which makes us very lopsided. In defense and attack.

*Thought Smith had a good game myself.

With most clubs they love a local player. It's the opposite at Vale!

Do not be fooled by Stevenages Low position in the table .

Regardless of who is chosen for the game let’s hope everyone puts a shift in and gives everything they have .

You play a system what allows you to be attacking without exposing the limitations in the team for breakaway goals .

A big big game as the next few are difficult to say the least 

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

With most clubs they love a local player. It's the opposite at Vale!

Gibbons has had plenty of praise this season. He was the worst of a bad bunch at Macclesfield, all players have a bad game; not sure it's anything more than people stating facts. Smith was the best of the back 4. Thought Pope had one of his worst games in a Vale shirt, again it happens. Nothing to do with being local. Atkinson was completely ineffectual in midfield; although he did ok at rightback. In an overall poor performance I felt those 3 stood out.

Dilemma for me is what to do with Atkinson. He was a disappointment at Mansfield, apart from filling in for Bishop as a holding midfielder and when they played him at rightback or a wingback in his second season. So if Askey wants to pick him I think he has to leave out Joyce or Gibbons. I guess he could be radical, play Worral as more of a 10, Montano and Amoo wide, with Joyce and Atkinson as more of a midfield 2. Atkinson preformed very well at Southend more centrally but his first year at Mansfield they tried playing him further forward and out wide without much success. He was so poor Mansfield desperately wanted to get rid of him after his first season; although he did win fans over a bit in the second season, despite less game time. I'm not sure he is a natural fit alongside the players we currently have, as we really want someone who can play a little more advanced than Joyce; basically the role he didn't do very well elsewhere. I've no doubt he's a good footballer but he only works in positions where we aren't in desperate need of a first choice option. I think Askey needs to be brave on Saturday and pick the two he considers best from Gibbons, Joyce and Atkinson. Not sure who I'd leave out; possibly Joyce.

Macclesfield was awful on Saturday. All teams have a blip though, where just nothing goes right. Given how we've performed so far this season, to have it limited really to two games where we haven't performed up to standard (Grimsby, Macclesfield) is decent going from where we were a year ago. Last year we looked awful whether we won, drew or lost. I don't think you can say that this year.

I would say we head back to the 4-3-3. I was surprised we weren't playing that v Macc, as that has given us success (At home at least). Stevenage over the years have somehow managed to do us over through the middle of the park. Packing that with our midfield should be a priority. I would like to see Burgess given another game, he and Taylor linked well with Joyce behind them. I think the main selection area of contention is right back. Atkinson was superb v Morecambe, and Gibbons was awful v Macclesfield. It shouldn't be a contest on that basis, but Gibbons has played well to that point.

Archived