onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Quarter of the season over

Walka003

After the Morecombe game, we are more or less 25% of the way through the season.

Personally, we are way up on where I thought we would be. 10th in the league, two lapses in concentrations (Salford and Orient) away from 6th. Amoo, Bennett and Taylor have been my stand out summer business. Others have been hit and miss but we haven't really needed them as we have enough quality in last year's team and with a bit of stability they have moved on from last year

How does everyone think we're doing? Are we up or down on your expectations?

Advert

I think Askey has done exactly what he said he would do.

Increased our attacking options, brought more goals into the team, built a team culture that doesn’t give up and fights for each other.

He has increased our options, with us now having a number of potential formations 433, 442 and even 4231which can be deployed dependent on opposition.

He has built a squad which has withstood a serious injury crisis and continues to get results.

We are still a little inconsistent, with some brilliant halves of football and some shockers... but that inconsistency is hard to shake in this league. We could do with being more proactive in substitutions or shifting shape when an opposition manager changes the game with a sub.

He has seen dramatic improvement in some players (Worrall, Gibbons as a stand out example of bringing players back in from the cold).

Some of the players are still learning and have made some mistakes, Crookes for example has been targeted but he is young, within our budget and improving.

Im very very happy with the slow and steady progress being delivered... a manager has to make some gambles and Askey has gotten the majority of his right and it’s evidenced in our position of 10th... 5 places higher than most expected for the season.

In summary, he has made some of the moaners and negative “couch coaches” look very daft and go very quiet (or that could be that I have just blocked the main offenders)... those that do chirp up that I see when people quote them, seem to be focusing on micro issues (I hate this player or this player isn’t as good as they were) which is all they have as the macro view is looking good.

Slow and steady!

Thank you John, Thank you Kevin and Carol!

14 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

He has built a squad which has withstood a serious injury crisis and continues to get results.

That has really impressed me. Considering who we have had missing at times, we have done really well and but for a late goal at Orient it could have been even better.

We have a lot of options and generally his signings have worked out so far. Not all signings have done so thus far (Lloyd and Kennedy are two that spring to mind) but there's still 3/4 of the season left for them to come into it.

The forward choices have impressed me in particular. I think Bennett looks a cracking signing and, if he stays fit, Cullen looks a clever, link-up forward. Pope (despite his critics) has a proven record at this level but he's not our sole option now. With Amoo, Montano, Worrall and Browne all pacy wide options we suddenly look potent upfront.

I hope people's expectations are not too high but I certainly think this has been a marked improvement from last season.

That has really impressed me. Considering who we have had missing at times, we have done really well and but for a late goal at Orient it could have been even better.
We have a lot of options and generally his signings have worked out so far. Not all signings have done so thus far (Lloyd and Kennedy are two that spring to mind) but there's still 3/4 of the season left for them to come into it.
The forward choices have impressed me in particular. I think Bennett looks a cracking signing and, if he stays fit, Cullen looks a clever, link-up forward. Pope (despite his critics) has a proven record at this level but he's not our sole option now. With Amoo, Montano, Worrall and Browne all pacy wide options we suddenly look potent upfront.
I hope people's expectations are not too high but I certainly think this has been a marked improvement from last season.
Browne is a player I am really hoping to see more of, the bits we've seen of him he looks a real threat.

6 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Browne is a player I am really hoping to see more of, the bits we've seen of him he looks a real threat.

It's certainly exciting to have a crop of pacy players upfront. Montano on his day, Amoo and (as you say) Browne can all turn it on. 

My kids went to only their second game on Saturday and all came away singing the praises of David Worrall. 

If these sorts of players can excite the next generation of fans to turn up again and again then Askey's certainly doing things right.

I think we look a decent mid-table team with the potential to push on a bit, which is what I was hopeful for at the start of the year. I too, have been surprised by the depth of the squad. We have handled an injury crisis and continued to get results. We would have dropped like a stone. The first eleven at Colchester was very similar to the one used last year, and since then new signings have forced their way in. That's how it should be and it bodes well for the future.

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens in January re: recruitment. A couple of signings could really push us on and mean we have something to fight for in the latter stages of the season. From what I've seen we've given everyone a game so far (Aside from Grimsby), losing two games in the final 10 minutes after hard-working performances. It goes without saying that our away form needs to improve, but I like what I've seen so far.

We’re doing far better than I’d have predicted after the fixtures were released and, overall, the entertainment has been superior to what I’d anticipated.

We’re still a couple of players off being contenders in my opinion, but I’m more than satisfied a quarter of the season in.

Still very early days but a big Thank You to the owners, staff, players and fans for lifting the gloom.

We’re doing far better than I’d have predicted after the fixtures were released and, overall, the entertainment has been superior to what I’d anticipated.
We’re still a couple of players off being contenders in my opinion, but I’m more than satisfied a quarter of the season in.
Still very early days but a big Thank You to the owners, staff, players and fans for lifting the gloom.
I really feel (hope?) that Atkinson might have a big impact on the rest of our season. We've been overrun to many times in midfield without Manny. He may just be the man to solidify the middle for us

I can only agree with others about our current league position. The last three years I’ve attended games not knowing if we would actually win the game. Now we can compete and even come back from going behind. The future is bright if we continue in the way, that we are heading. I was hoping 14th but changed my option to possibly 10th. It would be amazing if we go beyond all expectations this season. I think if we keep the players together then next year could really be our season. That’s not to say that we can’t enjoy the current one.

Also with success will hopefully make us more attractive to individuals or companies wanting to get involved with the club, giving us more financial power. As fans we can also contribute to the finances by turning out for the home games. I was surprised with the turn out on Saturday, I thought we’d have been over 5,000, may be this will happen later in the season

I think we’ve done well and to be slightly frustrated we haven’t picked up even more points with some late lapses and failure to put Cobblers away in the second half speaks volumes for the progress made.

Three losses in the first twelve with the injuries we’ve had and having played mainly teams in the top half is superb, this reminds me a bit of Adams first season where he made us hard to beat, we didn’t lose many but drew a few too many and seems to be along that line which would be acceptable this season.

League looks open and there for the taking if we can just turn those draws into wins going forward. Hopefully if we are into January and looking potentially like we could have a play off challenge we can pick up a couple of decent signings but if we can average 1 loss in 4 over the season that would be a huge improvement (and maybe ask over 46 game’s)

2 hours ago, stupers said:

Consistency I can agree with, we haven't been consistent enough. But togetherness? I'm not sure I would say this side isn't in it together, they seem a close-knit bunch. I've seen them fighting, but being short of a bit of quality.

I also meant togetherness in the way they play consistent in their discipline etc

Archived