onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey’s Tweet

Iron Curtain

9 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

It's about the top and bottom of it...what a shame he tarnishes his very rare goal performance with a total unprofessional attack on fans that pay his wages

Bless me! You may say 'very rare goal performance', but picture this: if we had had 2-3 other players in the same team as Tom over the last few seasons with a similar goal scoring record to Tom we'd probably be stuck in the Championship with Stoke City. 😮

Advert

A lot of blurring of the lines here, with talk of Pope's status, rather than the subject of the topic which is the tweet. IMO, the status of the person making the tweet is irrelevant. Would people be happy with Carol (not that she ever would obviously) responding to criticism by swearing at people on Facebook & telling them to eat ****, should we go through a difficult period in a few months time? If not, then why him?

Pope is obviously a Port Vale legend, of that there can be no doubt. Doesn't have any bearing on the subject though, he should rein in his presence online & trade it for a more consistent presence on the pitch.

4 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

Bless me! You may say 'very rare goal performance', but picture this: if we had had 2-3 other players in the same team as Tom over the last few seasons with a similar goal scoring record to Tom we'd probably be stuck in the Championship with Stoke City. 😮

To be fair Aussie, 100 goals since 2009 isn't exactly hard for a player who has had hardly any competition up front and if you look at all those 100 goals how many have contributed to three points? 100 goals yet how many of those games were winning matches??

If we had had players weighing in 100 goals alongside Pope I doubt Pope would have been on the pitch

6 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

For me it's brilliant that a local lad is currently, and has been for some time, the talisman for PVFC, He's the talisman because he's a freakin' good footballer, plays in the iconiic center forward role, scores goals and he's achieved much for Port Vale FC. Okay perhaps his best years are behind him but he still has much to offer on and off the field.

Tom Pope, great player for PVFC, full stop.

He's a good footballer...then play the ball to feet instead of constant 'Hoofball'??

13 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

You really do talk rubbish at times. I was pointing out that players may not play at their peak through their entire careers but that doesn’t mean they can’t have legendary status. Sorry I had to explain it in simple terms for you. 

You really are one of the most condescending posters on this forum...full of her own inflated baloney opinions...lucky I don't take you seriously

12 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

To be fair Aussie, 100 goals since 2009 isn't exactly hard for a player who has had hardly any competition up front and if you look at all those 100 goals how many have contributed to three points? 100 goals yet how many of those games were winning matches??

If we had had players weighing in 100 goals alongside Pope I doubt Pope would have been on the pitch

Quite a few were winning matches unless my memory has completely failed. There was one on Saturday for instance if you are struggling to remember 2 seasons ago or his first full spell here. 

5 minutes ago, cheshirevaliant said:

Quite a few were winning matches unless my memory has completely failed. There was one on Saturday for instance if you are struggling to remember 2 seasons ago or his first full spell here. 

Quite a few were in the 2012 season certainly...has he lived up to expectation since? Goals or no goals...the answer is no...quite a few people have commented that his performances have been below acceptable or do you not even accept that.

Not getting into an argument with you I happen to think you are one of the more balanced considered posters...not that you need complements off me and likewise do I need complement from you

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

This thread should be locked. It’s just a wind up. 

Great interview btw with Popey today on the official YouTube channel. 

Agreed.... Admin, this is not what I thought this thread would become when I started so can we please close it.

It was supposed to be a discussion on the Merits of Pope and his on the edge approach to social media.

Unfortunately it has been hijaked by an attention seeking wind up merchant.

Interestingly, I dont blame him... there are a number of usually very sensible posters who have fallen for his very obvious trap, continued to fuel his fire and play his game by his rules.

As an aside Admin... Its particularly annoying when you block someone and then can still see their rubbish because they have been quoted by people .... is there an option to turn that functionality off?

16 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Agreed.... Admin, this is not what I thought this thread would become when I started so can we please close it.

It was supposed to be a discussion on the Merits of Pope and his on the edge approach to social media.

Unfortunately it has been hijaked by an attention seeking wind up merchant.

Interestingly, I dont blame him... there are a number of usually very sensible posters who have fallen for his very obvious trap, continued to fuel his fire and play his game by his rules.

As an aside Admin... Its particularly annoying when you block someone and then can still see their rubbish because they have been quoted by people .... is there an option to turn that functionality off?

Yeah let's close it 'Naha nah can't hear you' 

Some people don't like the truth!!

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

You really are one of the most condescending posters on this forum...full of her own inflated baloney opinions...lucky I don't take you seriously

Probably because she goes every game home and away so knows what she is talking about?

But your position is clear. Even when Pope scores goals, they are the wrong kind. Okay. Chalk off all Pope's goals. They were the wrong sort.

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Quite a few were in the 2012 season certainly...has he lived up to expectation since? Goals or no goals...the answer is no...quite a few people have commented that his performances have been below acceptable or do you not even accept that.

Not getting into an argument with you I happen to think you are one of the more balanced considered posters...not that you need complements off me and likewise do I need complement from you

I'm glad we aren't relying on a 34 year old to score all our goals now. I'm also glad the 2 chances he had on Saturday fell to him. 

48 minutes ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I'm glad we aren't relying on a 34 year old to score all our goals now. I'm also glad the 2 chances he had on Saturday fell to him. 

Let's chalk off and sweep under the carpet how many chances he actually flukes or misses. That we will ignore just to stand up the Pope argument a bit. 

Archived