onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey’s Tweet

Iron Curtain

Just to put the record straight...I said Bennett should have started and I believe he should start. The reason is he can shoot and he can score.

Now Pope is an asset..I never said he should be sent to oblivion. I said what the majority of so called 'Pope haters' have been saying...that his game is predicatable and falls into opposition hands...they have worked out how Vale play and control the game accordingly...that is what has happened in recent matches...I don't care that Pope had a good game yesterday...I'm pleased...I won off a bet that Vale would win 3-1  Thanks Popey for getting that vital goal

Regardless, I was dissapointed that Bennett didn't start last week and this week and cannot understand how Pope gets so much game time when he has spent endless minutes ineffective and isolated. Isolated because the opposition know how Vale play to accommodate Popey...not claptrap... just facts

Seeing Bennett's goal at Macc and then seeing him dropped at Orient makes me wonder exactly what Pope does to get in the team...99% of the time the scorer from the previous match would be played as he is in form...couldn't understand the decision...and Pope failed to score at Orient.

He then gets picked again yesterday...couldn't believe it. Yes, we played a rubbish defensive team that gave Pope space and tie to place his header...he took the second well but only after the defender made a defensive howler...we won't have that luck every week.

Let's hope that yesterday wasn't a one off because this is where Pope plays again every week and we know what happened last time Pope played every week
Jesus Wept.

Advert

I'm not really noticing an anti Pope flavour.

Recognising his massive contribution does not preclude analysis of his current value to the team.

The majority appear to be of the view that Pope on his own up front has limited impact.

The dilemma is that this, together with a high press is the preferred way of playing at the moment.

These two factors diminish Tom's contribution.

He's a superb player in a two up front system and a brilliant finisher.

The dilemma is how to utilise Tom in the team system, and whether others contribute more.

Personally, I'm liking the increased mobility that Bennett and hopefully Archer provide.

2 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I'm not really noticing an anti Pope flavour.

Recognising his massive contribution does not preclude analysis of his current value to the team.

The majority appear to be of the view that Pope on his own up front has limited impact.

The dilemma is that this, together with a high press is the preferred way of playing at the moment.

These two factors diminish Tom's contribution.

He's a superb player in a two up front system and a brilliant finisher.

The dilemma is how to utilise Tom in the team system, and whether others contribute more.

Personally, I'm liking the increased mobility that Bennett and hopefully Archer provide.

God damn you for talking total sense. You rascal. Except I would not say dilemma.  We have to be smart.

Pope deserves some criticism. He is still the biggest earner at the club and his early season performances were a shadow of his past which justified him being considered a legend of the club. 

Remember his athleticism in the promotion season? 

He has at times brought the team down with his moaning on the pitch and there is no doubt he has lost some pace. 

A vale legend but he can’t go tell fans to eat s1ht when plenty of his performances over the past few months could be described as watching s1ht on some occasions. 

22 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Pope deserves some criticism. He is still the biggest earner at the club and his early season performances were a shadow of his past which justified him being considered a legend of the club. 

He has at times brought the team down with his moaning on the pitch and there is no doubt he has lost some pace. 

A vale legend but he can’t go tell fans to eat s1ht when plenty of his performances over the past few months could be described as watching s1ht on some occasions. 

Total rubbish in my opinion. On all points. From a usually sensible poster.

No, he just stuck the ball in the net?

and there is no doubt he has lost some pace

He never had any.

over the past few months could be described as watching s1ht on some occasions. 

Name them then Mr.

And how do you know his wages? Do tell.

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

He never had any.

Name them then Mr.

Not total rubbish...pure fact. Some people on here are fickle and one good game the last five games are forgotten...some of us maintain our convictions. And btw I think Popey's tweet is very unproffessional...he seems to take the attitude he should be the one who plays every week. He has never ever acknowledged that he is at fault...

Take responsibility for your own failings Popey and don't rub it in when the one game goes well...you will win people over that way

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Toms record speaks for itself, it’s beyond question. He’s a Vale legend, full stop. He should just let his boots do the talking, answer his critics with goals. No need whatsoever for this kind of post on social media.

Stats talk, moaning walks. Think I already said that sorry. Ignore.

Ignoring everything else that has been said, it's interesting that some fans seem to enjoy/support the way Pope talks to fans/critics etc online, yet it wasn't fine when it was our former trainwreck of an owner doing something similar. Any individual at the club (regardless of their role or stature) should behave in an appropriate & professional manner whilst in the public eye, online or not. I doubt we did before under NS, but it'd be interesting to know if we have any sort of social media policy nowadays.

As he writes for the local paper, I wonder if they're happy seeing him post such things online. He's also most definitely a role model for lots of young Vale fans (plenty on this site with kids I imagine?), so it's surprising to see so many people don't mind him behaving in such a way.

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

He never had any.

Name them then Mr.

Ok, I will ignore the poor efforts in late 2008/ early 2009 and look at what he has done since his injury return at Northampton in March when he scored his 100th league goal. 

V Crewe: Scored winner, didn’t look match fit but to be expected after injury

V Exeter: Didn’t go to this one 

V Stevenage: Feeble. Missed one gloriously chance but generally ineffective. 

V MK Dons: Deservedly lost  starting place after Stevenage, however in fairness looked dangerous towards the end

V Macclesfield: Very poor. No excuse, missed chances, moaned, offered nothing

V Bury: I Missed this one, he did score however

V Colchester: Looked sharp but faded as the game wore on. Deservedly subbed. 

V Northampton I Missed this. Highlights suggest he missed a fair few chances. 

V Salford: Never looked like scoring. Deservedly subbed. 

V Forest Green: Came on. Jogged a bit and battled for headers. 

V Grimsby. Missed this thank god. 

V Cambridge: only on for last 6 mins or so

V Newport. Didn’t go

V Plymouth; He didn’t play

V Exeter: Didn’t go. 

V Mansfield: Didn’t score and missed a couple of sitters but set up Cullen for a great chance.

V Orient Didn’t go

V Morecambe: Horrible first half. Scored a couple of decent goals. 

So overall, not much to write home about for a supposed club legend in recent games. 

It’s all subjective really. For me Bennet was offering nothing in the away games at Grimsby, Newport and Exeter and was rightly dropped after the Exeter game. I think that even when Pope has a relatively bad game he is still putting himself about and making it hard for defenders with his physical presence, Bennet doesn’t do that and I felt in those games I mentioned that we were effectively a man down as the ball kept coming back and he was a passenger.

Also don’t forget we aren’t seeing what goes on in training. Is Popey putting it in and Bennet not? Who knows. 

Back to his tweet though, what he says about fan forums and social media in general is bang on for me. But it’s ironic that people can slag him off and then start crying when he retaliates back with something. Should he be more professional on Twitter though? Probably yes. 

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

It’s all subjective really. For me Bennet was offering nothing in the away games at Grimsby, Newport and Exeter and was rightly dropped after the Exeter game. I think that even when Pope has a relatively bad game he is still putting himself about and making it hard for defenders with his physical presence, Bennet doesn’t do that and I felt in those games I mentioned that we were effectively a man down as the ball kept coming back and he was a passenger.

Also don’t forget we aren’t seeing what goes on in training. Is Popey putting it in and Bennet not? Who knows. 

Back to his tweet though, what he says about fan forums and social media in general is bang on for me. But it’s ironic that people can slag him off and then start crying when he retaliates back with something. Should he be more professional on Twitter though? Probably yes. 

Fans are entitled to moan...fans pay the wages at the end of the day and the wages paid are more than the average fan can dream of

What have wages got to do with it? Do you know what they earn? Fans would still moan about a player who earns £400 a week just the same as one who earns £1000. So what’s your point? By that logic should premier league fans be moaning more because their players earn more?

Other than you I believe that no one is basing any criticism  on their pay packet but because of their performances.

Archived