Fosse69

Match Thread : Macclesfield Town v Port Vale

5 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Let’s say that over the next 4 games we get 4 points from our two home games and, as I fully expect, us to get zilch from two away games at Bradford and Crewe. We’ll then be a point worse off than at the same stage last year under the much-criticised Aspin. Is this progress??

That’s only supposition. 

8 minutes ago, toyahw said:

As I saw it, system-wise, they were playing three at the back and getting their width from their wing backs. We were dead narrow in midfield with the "diamond". Which was the worst of all possible worlds. Our full backs got over loaded when they were coming forward. And had no options in front of them when we had the ball. Plus individually we were lethargic and poor all over the pitch.

I'd agree with the comments. At times we also sat too deep. Joyce was guilty of always trying to be behind Taylor and Atkinson and the defence seemed to then set themselves 5 to 10 metres behind Joyce. That gave them quite a big pocket of space to drive in to quite high in their attacking third. I think it might have worked better with a midfield 3 and Joyce as a 10 with liscence to get onto the wings. The problem with the diamond is it creates a big hole in the middle of midfield. Personally its the one formation I don't really get.

Also felt Askey was guilty of picking a system to suit players who did well against 10 men the week before but accommodate Gibbons. That meant 3 systems in 2 games. Top players can adjust, ours are on mid table league 2 wages for a reason. We play 433 week in week out and sometimes 442. Maybe in a cup game against higher league opposition but Macc Town away? If he wanted Gibbons in drop Atkinson, if he also wanted Atkinson drop Joyce. Managers have to make tough choices and from the off yesterday it felt he'd tried to pick a system he felt might suit the 11 players he wanted to pick.

28 minutes ago, JRC said:

Also felt Askey was guilty of picking a system to suit players who did well against 10 men the week before but accommodate Gibbons. That meant 3 systems in 2 games. Top players can adjust, ours are on mid table league 2 wages for a reason. We play 433 week in week out and sometimes 442. Maybe in a cup game against higher league opposition but Macc Town away? If he wanted Gibbons in drop Atkinson, if he also wanted Atkinson drop Joyce. Managers have to make tough choices and from the off yesterday it felt he'd tried to pick a system he felt might suit the 11 players he wanted to pick.

Atkinson played most of his games at full back when he was at Mansfield so maybe he should start on Saturday at full back as Gibbons doesn’t deserve a place on Saturdays showing.

Just hope Askey has given his players a kick up the anus and not made excuses for such an inept performance.
Is he too nice to motivate them?

Maybe they need to be not paid and extra training on their day off to prove a point.

Donate their wages to the Macc players who well deserved their win.

Cant wait for Vassell and their cheating goalie to come to Vale for the return match.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

This is the contradiction in Askey's message.

Historically, he's had success with 433, yet has been quoted as saying you fit a system to the players.

He's probably right, but he seems to be falling between stools at the moment, so really needs to make his mind up to avoid confusion.

5 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m not interested in a 15th place finish. For me it should be at least the play-offs. We have the squad to achieve this. By Askey’s own admission, all teams are much or a muchness in this league so there is absolutely no reason for us not to achieve this.

i wonder what Crewe’s expectations are now?? They’ve hardly flashed the cash and yet look at them.

Its taken crewe a couple of years to stabilise and then climb the table though,they gave their manager time despite the struggles

1 hour ago, DistantVale said:

Pathetic comment we are talking football ! 

We have much better owners than them.  They have been trying to get rid of their major shareholder for ages but he won't move.  That's talking football.  What's your problem??  We also have better fans.

9 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m not saying bin Askey. That said I’m not doing cartwheels either. Yesterday’s result was definitely a massive step backwards. 

I don’t think it’s the result, it’s the manner of how we got there. No one has the right to beat anyone, you have to earn it. Still waiting to be convinced with Askey. Can’t say I have seen much high tempo football and yesterday and last week for that matter, was not a team to be proud of. Vale fans will forgive defeat if there is some endeavour present. Macc showed it in abundance. For me people will look at the defence and say we conceded 2 sloppy goals and then at the strikers because they had no shots. But the real issue is the centre of the park we are awful in the middle, to slow and flat footed. One burst of pace, or ball over the top from the opposition and you are past our midfield and in on goal. 

18 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m not interested in a 15th place finish. For me it should be at least the play-offs. We have the squad to achieve this. By Askey’s own admission, all teams are much or a muchness in this league so there is absolutely no reason for us not to achieve this.

i wonder what Crewe’s expectations are now?? They’ve hardly flashed the cash and yet look at them.

There a famous experiment where you put a child in a room with a chocolate bar and tell them if they can sit there for 15 mins without eating it, they will be given two chocolate bars.

Many children fail and just can’t help eating the bar straight away as they don’t understand that sometimes delayed gratification yields higher rewards and they chase the enjoyment immediately.

Those that can wait are deemed by psychologists to be more successful in later life as they appreciate that sometimes you have to wait and work hard to build the foundations for a larger reward.

I think there is a degree of over-reaction in that fans seem to be ready to pounce on Askey and blasting the team somewhat based on only our 4th defeat.

I was livid and have calmed down a bit now and its crucial to then re-look at it.

It was a huge bugger up tactically and the first real time the lads didn't put enough endeavour in and can't then suggest that is it for the season... a win and decent reaction Saturday and things will look entirely different.

Crewe have carried on where they left off last season however we (and Askey in particular) schooled pretty much the same Crewe side in April with the system and high press and we battered them (their home record is average also) so to say we will get smashed in this or that game would be harsh, we've only been smashed once this season in all competitions (16 games) - arguably 1 half of those 16 games.

Macclesfield have an identical record to us so are no mugs either which is worth considering, yet we are reacting like we've been done in the FA Cup by a minnow.

It will take time, there is plenty of work to do but the progress so far is pretty much what we most expected and said we would be happy with at the start of the season, less defeats, more goals, better football in the majority of games. If we lose to Stevenage and Oldham then maybe its time to panic but hopefully Saturday was just a bad day at the office and no more, no less.

Edited by valefan16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

There a famous experiment where you put a child in a room with a chocolate bar and tell them if they can sit there for 15 mins without eating it, they will be given two chocolate bars.

Many children fail and just can’t help eating the bar straight away as they don’t understand that sometimes delayed gratification yields higher rewards and they chase the enjoyment immediately.

Those that can wait are deemed by psychologists to be more successful in later life as they appreciate that sometimes you have to wait and work hard to build the foundations for a larger reward.

So are our promotion bonuses to be paid in Cadbury's Dairy Milk?!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

We have much better owners than them.  They have been trying to get rid of their major shareholder for ages but he won't move.  That's talking football.  What's your problem??  We also have better fans.

Get back to your ironing !

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DistantVale said:

Get back to your ironing !

Isn't that a bit sexist? Agree or not with Jean but she know's her stuff. 

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

One result is not a massive step backward!!

I’m not saying bin Askey. That said I’m not doing cartwheels either. Yesterday’s result was definitely a massive step backwards. 

Give me where Vale are today compared where we were this time last year in every aspect of the club and playing staff, we are miles better off. Keep up the good work Mr and Mrs S and JA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1