Fosse69

Match Thread : Macclesfield Town v Port Vale

16 hours ago, Valist said:
17 hours ago, Andyregs said:
Why change a formation that was working. I know a lot like to go on about two strikers, but the 4-3-3 system suits us. 

Completely agree. Our best performances under Askey both at the end of last season and the start of this have been when we played 4-3-3 with a quick tempo and high press.

The team selection was right just the players lacked fight and spirit and thought they could just turn up to get the points.

We have to accept that this is mostly the same players as last year and really there is no pressure for their places because Askey wasted the budget on poor Squad signings instead of players who could improve the team.How many of Askeys new signings are in the first team.Very few.

There does seem to be a lack of aggression and willingness to roll up their sleeves and fight for every ball.

The Macc players realised after they scored that they could run with the ball through our poor midfield and put us under pressure.

Edited by Erniemossrules

21 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Haven’t read through this thread but clearly, although the formation didn’t work, if you can’t pass the ball, and keep turning it over to the opposition, you’re going to struggle.  Far too many players looked way off the pace.  The spark and energy we showed earlier in the season seems to have gone, we’re not pressing with anywhere near the same intensity in the last few games.  Macc were poor but they wanted it far more than we did, and in the end that was the difference.

Correct. People make to much of formations. At the end of the day it’s 11 v 11. Yesterday pathetic if you can’t kick or pass you get nothing. Lost count of the amount of times we failed to find a yellow shirt. Then don’t get me started on being unable to clear a ball! 

19 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

The team selection was right just the players lacked fight and spirit and thought they could just turn up to get the points.

We have to accept that this is mostly the same players as last year and really there is no pressure for their places because Askey wasted the budget on poor Squad signings instead of players who could improve the team.How many of Askeys new signings are in the first team.Very few.

There does seem to be a lack of aggression and willingness to roll up their sleeves and fight for every ball.

The Macc players realised after they scored that they could run with the ball through our poor midfield and put us under pressure.

Amoo, Taylor, Atkinson, crookes, Bennett would be classed as first team players. Burgess getting more time on the pitch. Browne and archer are players lots would like to see more of. Defence and keeper only needed back up players and we have that. Did you want a whole first 11? 

Let’s say that over the next 4 games we get 4 points from our two home games and, as I fully expect, us to get zilch from two away games at Bradford and Crewe. We’ll then be a point worse off than at the same stage last year under the much-criticised Aspin. Is this progress??

4 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Let’s say that over the next 4 games we get 4 points from our two home games and, as I fully expect, us to get zilch from two away games at Bradford and Crewe. We’ll then be a point worse off than at the same stage last year under the much-criticised Aspin. Is this progress??

It’s actually worse because we’ve got better players now too. What’s that tell you ?

The issue is that the defence has gone to the dogs this season. Our fullbacks are consistently letting us down and concentration across the whole back four is awful. Mitch Clarke needed?

I'm very disappointed with yesterday, the four games starting with Orient and ending next week should have been 12 points for any half decent team. Concentration let us down in London, yesterday was just a pathetic performance all round. Beat stevenage next week and 7 points won't be an awful return from those four games, but really felt we could have capitalised on the poor form of these teams and build on our decent start.

I'm afraid our new owners made a cock up giving Askey a 3 year deal.

Let's look at the facts. The last 4 or 5 managers we have had have no league experience. (Askey 4 months before he was sacked). We have slid steadily down and down since Micky Adam's left. You dont have to be clever to see we need a manager with league experience to steady our sinking ship.

Askey must have been the only one that could not see at half time we needed changes, but no let's us go behind first. Bad manager end of.

10 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Will we then continue that method of comparison through November and December?

People have to stop this short term view and manic depression after a single result.  

The irony here is we are all gutted because a win yesterday would have had us pushing on towards playoff contention. Surely we have to take a step back and say that’s a good thing? Right?          

Terrible result, terrible performance, terrible tactics.

Not the end of the world, not a season defining result, not how we have been playing or how we will play going forward.

• Like 1

Considering where we are with horrendous injuries, our home record and generally how we are playing I am content with where we are. Its chalk and cheese to last years dross. I struggle to see how anyone can compare this season with the last 2 years.

With a little but of luck (and game managenent) we could have turned a couple of those draws into wins and the picture would look very different. We will definitely finish higher this season than last.

• Like 4

Having slept on yesterdays inept performance I  feel yesterday was Macc's cup final, they had a backs to wall, we'll show 'em attitude, you can imagine their manager before the game telling his players go out and show them what you can do and shut that away crowd up.This was proved to me by the way they celebrated their goal in front of the Vale crowd and the behaviour of Vassell  at the end,they were pumped up like a cup tie minnow in the FA Cup and we didn't respond.

Those calling for Askeys head need to give their own heads a big wobble,yes he got it wrong yesterday,but on the whole he's got it  right, you cannot take a snap shot of a few games and compare it to last season,you have to wait until the season is over before making judgements.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Properman said:

Let's look at the facts. The last 4 or 5 managers we have had have no league experience. (Askey 4 months before he was sacked). We have slid steadily down and down since Micky Adam's left. You dont have to be clever to see we need a manager with league experience to steady our sinking ship.

Askey must have been the only one that could not see at half time we needed changes, but no let's us go behind first. Bad manager end of.

Would you say you are prone to an over reaction? 

Daft post from a typical football fan whose emotions swing around based on the last game they saw.

“Sinking Ship”... behave!! 

Over 12 games Askey has taken a bottom 4 team and got us to the point where we started looking up and getting overly excited about the playoffs.

Then he lost one game and people are crying that he is rubbish.

The irony is absurd!

Stop taking a short term view, it will depress you some days and it’s just a waste of energy.

We all said that 15th and no flirtation with relegation would be an improvement this year! 

As Macc fans said... don’t give Askey money, give him time. The shoots of improvement are there, we are better to watch and and performing on average better than last year.

We have a 21.5% improvement in points vs this time last year (seen as people are obsessed with direct comparisons and facts)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Inny said:

Considering where we are with horrendous injuries, our home record and generally how we are playing I am content with where we are. Its chalk and cheese to last years dross. I struggle to see how anyone can compare this season with the last 2 years.

With a little but of luck (and game managenent) we could have turned a couple of those draws into wins and the picture would look very different. We will definitely finish higher this season than last.

Yes but but but ... errrr... we lost a game to Macc.... Sack everyone! 

Sensible and balanced post Inny... it will be lost on the couch pundits (many of white cried out for the 2 up front which Askey gave them yesterday)

5 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Having slept on yesterdays inept performance I  feel yesterday was Macc's cup final, they had a backs to wall, we'll show 'em attitude, you can imagine their manager before the game telling his players go out and show them what you can do and shut that away crowd up.This was proved to me by the way they celebrated their goal in front of the Vale crowd and the behaviour of Vassell  at the end,they were pumped up like a cup tie minnow in the FA Cup and we didn't respond.

What's Vassell's beef with us anyhow?

Did he feel hard done to? It was hardly a surprise when he got released.

The vast majority acknowledged and agreed that what Port Vale needs is slow and steady improvement with no rash decisions and no over investment.

Now is the time to back the club and let that happen. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Properman said:

It's not really a 3 year deal, it's a rolling 6 month deal up to 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Santa said:

He's a Stoke fan isn't he? Used to play for them and is from S-o-T?

5 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Will we then continue that method of comparison through November and December?

People have to stop this short term view and manic depression after a single result.  

The irony here is we are all gutted because a win yesterday would have had us pushing on towards playoff contention. Surely we have to take a step back and say that’s a good thing? Right?          

Terrible result, terrible performance, terrible tactics.

Not the end of the world, not a season defining result, not how we have been playing or how we will play going forward.

The mood would have been completely different with a win, the main thing is the team  reaction  to defeats, and maintaining realistic expectations,   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Santa said:

You could argue it typified the passion and exemplified what the game meant to the Macc players, or perhaps he’d simply copped some abuse during the game. Whatever it was he made himself look a rayt clown with that reaction at the end.