onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Macclesfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, Biddulph_PV said:

For me, this is far and away THE worst result of Askey’s reign. I don’t buy this nonsense of ‘slow and steady’...... we have a big squad perhaps, up their with the MA promotion squad in terms of quality, and should have seen these off quite comfortably.

I dread to think what Crewe away will bring. At this point it will be utter embarrassment. Don’t be surprised if we don’t sell out or allocation either as I sense others, like me, are fed up of Vale teams bottling games like these.

I’ve said before the defence needs shaking up and whilst I can’t comment on today, Smith for me needs replacing with Brisley. Quite what we do about the left back position I don’t know, but it sounds like Atkinson needs go to RB after Gibbons display today.

What do you mean you don’t buy “this nonsense of slow and steady”?

Do you not think that across all the games we have played this season we have improved vs last season.

Advert

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

What do you mean you don’t buy “this nonsense of slow and steady”?

Do you not think that across all the games we have played this season we have improved vs last season.

What I mean is we’ve got a much better squad than last year and at times have played some very good football (Plymouth, Fleetwood) showing that we should be aiming higher than simply avoiding another relegation scrap.

However our away form has been dreadful. And I’d be interested to see how we compared with this time last year because I doubt there’s much, if anything, in it.

It’s very difficult to select a MOTM. I agree that Smith was probably are best player. I don’t want to come over as being biased but standing behind the goal, he rose for an header off a corner late on and was clearly pushed in the back. I suppose some times you get the decision and other times not. I didn’t feel that we were in control of the game for an hour after we had scored. It looked better when Archer came into the pitch.

You do realise that today’s tactics were to basically hoof it in to the channels for the 2 forwards and hope we could get Worrall around them? Which considering how well we have been playing was a tactical disaster from the manager. 

We didn’t lose today because Gibbo couldn’t find a yellow shirt. He had one of those games where everything he tried went wrong. But as a pair of fullbacks neither had any options in front of them, there was nothing wide, they would get the ball look up and have nothing on. In fact I don’t recall either of them getting forward and putting a cross in. That’s unusual for us and I think that’s down to the formation we set up with. 

IMO we struggled because we did away with the fundamental good things of our season so far. Width with players like Worral, monty, Amoo or Gibbons. Joyce and Taylor linking that up. The striker holding it up and bringing players in. Wingers going at full backs with our full backs overlapping. 

In that diamond formation Atkinson, Joyce and Taylor really struggled to get into the game or have any influence on it. Pope and Bennett didn’t get hold of it and launching it long really played in to their hands because we just ended up scrapping for second balls. Worrall was ineffective and virtually non existent as a result. 

Macclesfield probably couldn’t believe their luck. I bet they worked on our usual formation this week and instead we turn up and it was easy for them. We had no wide outlets for them to worry about and by having a sole tactic of trying to hit long balls it turned the game in to a battle which suited them. I don’t understand why we decided to throw I usual method of play out the window, we ended up stifling ourselves. Which is why next week I’d go back to our usual tired and rested formation. I also wouldn’t drop Gibbo because he has a bad day passing, he’s the wrong full back to drop, it’s not like he’s costing us goals or been poor in the basics of defending. That’s why is go with:

brown

gibbons Legge Smith crookes

atkinson Joyce taylor

worrall bennet (or Pope) Amoo

What I mean is we’ve got a much better squad than last year and at times have played some very good football (Plymouth, Fleetwood) showing that we should be aiming higher than simply avoiding another relegation scrap.

However our away form has been dreadful. And I’d be interested to see how we compared with this time last year because I doubt there’s much, if anything, in it.

Ahhhhh, understood.

That’s the problem... it’s the hope that kills you.

Massive let down today we just never showed up today. Even when we scored we didn’t deserve it. Back to the bad old days of 18 months ago in terms of performance. I really hope we don’t end like last season - a run of favourable looking fixtures and hardly any points.

The worry is, where exactly are we going to get an away win from??

What amazes me is we go from having an unbelievable first half at Orient against a team who set up with wing backs, to totally changing our formation in the next away game against another team who play with wing backs. It should never have been changed IMO. We looked like a side with no ideas and that’s rarely been us this season. 

Archived