onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Smugsy said:

I understand where you're coming from especially when talking about an impact sub but I wouldn't go that far in saying we don't need him. For me Bennett should be the number one choice because he gives us movement up front that Pope can't give us.I haven't been very impressed with Cullen so far and Archer, despite showing flashes of potential, is still an unproven commodity. Pope is still one of the best headers of the ball in the lower leagues and is a victim of his own success as we tend to lump it towards him rather than play crosses into him that he thrives on. Pope is still a fantastic asset to Vale as long as we use him properly

Oh yeah he's still a good player & going to be useful at times, hence why I said not that much rather than at all, but I'd definitely prefer to keep him to the bench & only use him if our regular style of playing with the other forwards isn't working at all, or if the game calls for something completely different.

He *was* one of the best in the league in terms of hold up play & presence in the air, but from what I've seen, his performances this season haven't really reflected that claim. I've heard a lot of mentions of possible off the field issues with him at the moment which may or may not be true, but if they are then I'd say we shouldn't be starting any player if their head isn't @ 100%.

As you mentioned RE crosses & lumping it, if we always end up playing a certain way that doesn't use him well when he's on, I'd prefer to change the player (as we have people who do fit the current system), rather than change the entire way we play to cater to one player.

Advert

45 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Saturday's ref is Charles Breakspear.  He sent Ricky Miller off against Carlisle last year - one of 12 red cards he issued.  This year he has done 9 games so far and has issued 6 red cards already.  We will need to be on our best behaviour!

The one positive of that then is no Gibbo 🙂

On 29/09/2019 at 13:16, valefan16 said:

Is Brisley a centre back only or capable of Right Back?

I'd imagine he can. He's definitely played in central midfield on a few occasions under Harry Kewell. Certainly looked more mobile, stronger and at least as capable on the ball as Kennedy at Macclesfield. The other option could be 3 at the back. Possibly Smith at rightback ... he played there sometimes for the youth team. I think Taylor can also play as a fullback.

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I like Ritchie Bennett - he's a nice footballer - but I don't think he punches his weight in the air.  Is he one of these big lads who never had to jump in schoolboy football and has never learned?!!

It’s about playing to his strengths.  At home, against a supposed “weaker” team, Bennett’s mobility should be an advantage on our big pitch, where, for me at least, Pope can’t cover enough ground over the course of the game when played on his own,  Yes, I know the other 2,”strikers” should join him but this doesn’t always happen.

Away from home I think Pope offers a better option for an out ball when we’re under the cosh.

Of course the other option is to give Pope 60 mins then hook him off for fresh legs, but Askey seems to prefer to wait until later in the game before making an unforced change.

The best of both worlds will prove to be Archer when fully fit. 👍

Judging from what the manager has said about Manny's injury, it sounds like we may not see him again until around Christmas.  We will just have to accept that we need to win games without him.  Indeed, we haven't actually won one with him this season!!!

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Judging from what the manager has said about Manny's injury, it sounds like we may not see him again until around Christmas.  We will just have to accept that we need to win games without him.  Indeed, we haven't actually won one with him this season!!!

Last season it would be a disaster but seem to be coping this, looks as though Monty, Browne and Cullen should be back which gives us a few options.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

We not counting Macclesfield then? 😛

I wonder what free agents are out there

Archived