Fosse69

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

On 29/09/2019 at 13:16, valefan16 said:

Is Brisley a centre back only or capable of Right Back?

I'd imagine he can. He's definitely played in central midfield on a few occasions under Harry Kewell. Certainly looked more mobile, stronger and at least as capable on the ball as Kennedy at Macclesfield. The other option could be 3 at the back. Possibly Smith at rightback ... he played there sometimes for the youth team. I think Taylor can also play as a fullback.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I like Ritchie Bennett - he's a nice footballer - but I don't think he punches his weight in the air.  Is he one of these big lads who never had to jump in schoolboy football and has never learned?!!

It’s about playing to his strengths.  At home, against a supposed “weaker” team, Bennett’s mobility should be an advantage on our big pitch, where, for me at least, Pope can’t cover enough ground over the course of the game when played on his own,  Yes, I know the other 2,”strikers” should join him but this doesn’t always happen.

Away from home I think Pope offers a better option for an out ball when we’re under the cosh.

Of course the other option is to give Pope 60 mins then hook him off for fresh legs, but Askey seems to prefer to wait until later in the game before making an unforced change.

The best of both worlds will prove to be Archer when fully fit. 👍

Edited by Guitar Ray
Correction
  • Like 1

Judging from what the manager has said about Manny's injury, it sounds like we may not see him again until around Christmas.  We will just have to accept that we need to win games without him.  Indeed, we haven't actually won one with him this season!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Judging from what the manager has said about Manny's injury, it sounds like we may not see him again until around Christmas.  We will just have to accept that we need to win games without him.  Indeed, we haven't actually won one with him this season!!!

Last season it would be a disaster but seem to be coping this, looks as though Monty, Browne and Cullen should be back which gives us a few options.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

We not counting Macclesfield then? 😛

I wonder what free agents are out there

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Would definitely be better than Ryan Lloyd.

We all dream of a team of Ryan Lloyd’s, a team of Ryan Lloyd’s, a team  of Ryan Lloyd’s

Edited by Bald Eagle

We have to get 3 points here. Poor side and as we can't quite seal the deal away from home continuing to win at Vale Park is vital. Bennett has to start I believe. I love Popey but Richie is the form striker and we look dangerous when he is at it.

On 30/09/2019 at 11:31, Tomo said:

For me:

---------------------Brown--------------------

--Kennedy--Smith--Legge--Crookes--

-------Burgess---Joyce---Taylor--------

--Worrall--------Bennett--------Amoo--

As much as I don't rate Kennedy, I'd say it's the only viable option as no point playing Brisley/others out of position. That team should be more than enough to beat Morecambe though.

This Pope/Bennett situation is frustrating & I cannot understand why people want Bennett dropped so much given his output so far this season compared to Pope's. Given the latter's age, tempo & style, I don't think he should be starting many games at all, more just used as a sub for 20 mins/half an hour (if needed), in the way Stoke used Crouch. Don't really think we need him all that much at the moment, especially when we have Archer/Bennett/Cullen all available.

Although injuries have forced Askey’s hand in some sense, half of that team is different from last season. I like how he has slowly integrated them into the team. Hopefully we can have a few seasons of chopping off at the bottom and adding to the top, rather than wholesale changes. 

• Like 1

The Pope/Bennett debate is not binary. I wonder if some here are biased by only seeing home games? Bennett has been very anonymous in away games often. The ball does not stick with him. He doesn't keep us down their end of the pitch when required. Which Pope does. It is horses for courses.

Given our best crosser of the ball, Gibbo, is out, it is a no brainer that Bennett should start Sat. And that is not slagging off Pope. Agree with Boslem's line up. But with that we won't have much going forward in the way of full backs, Might require a bit of through the middle. 

When I hear these are rubbish, for the taking, it brings me out in a cold sweat, It's fine margins in this league. Take noting for granted,

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, toyahw said:

The Pope/Bennett debate is not binary. I wonder if some here are biased by only seeing home games? Bennett has been very anonymous in away games often. The ball does not stick with him. He doesn't keep us down their end of the pitch when required. Which Pope does. It is horses for courses.

Given our best crosser of the ball, Gibbo, is out, it is a no brainer that Bennett should start Sat. And that is not slagging off Pope. Agree with Boslem's line up. But with that we won't have much going forward in the way of full backs, Might require a bit of through the middle. 

When I hear these are rubbish, for the taking, it brings me out in a cold sweat, It's fine margins in this league. Take noting for granted,

I honestly think both of them show as anonymous at times (don't get me wrong Bennett is no world beater), the difference is for me that he has scored a few, & all of them from open play (2 away too).

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I honestly think both of them show as anonymous at times (don't get me wrong Bennett is no world beater), the difference is for me that he has scored a few, & all of them from open play (2 away too).

Play Bennett and Pope .

Give them something to worry about.