Jump to content
Fosse69

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, TylerB said:

 

Suddenly we look pretty good in the middle of the park all of a sudden! Atkinson will be stellar there with his composure and know how. Joyce is a player under Askey. Young Taylor is very promising and will only get better. Burgess has a bit about him too. It's a shame about Oyeleke being so injury hit as we know how good he can be. But I don't see how Conlon will get back in to be honest and I've got nothing against the lad - He always works hard and has the odd pearler from outside the box in him. 

Hopefully Atkinson can provide some legs in the middle. I felt Morecambe were able to run through the middle far to easily first half. Cranston was the main threat, both through the middle on the counter and out wide, so they lost this when he went off.  We don’t seem to have players who can keep up or make up ground in these situations.

Full marks to the staff for changing things at half time. We needed another striker on alongside Pope and Bennett did a great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be something to do with the way we’re playing, with stable ownership behind the team, but when we went behind for some reason I wasn’t too concerned, sort of had a feeling we’d score at some point and probably win... it’s starting to remind me of the promotion season where Saturday afternoons were a more enjoyable affair!!! (Touch-wood)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I love it that we are now walking up the bank to the Railway Stand with hope rather than dread in our hearts. 

I thoroughly enjoyed today’s game - Popey’s goals in particular. More of the same please, Vale. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Agreed. I love it that we are now walking up the bank to the Railway Stand with hope rather than dread in our hearts. 

I thoroughly enjoyed today’s game - Popey’s goals in particular. More of the same please, Vale. 

Definitely. It’s was more of a chore to go and watch us over the last couple of seasons . However I’m glad to say the excitement on a Saturday morning is well and truly back . UTV.

Edited by aspin for england

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one who said Bennett should start rather than Pope. That doesn’t mean I’ve written Pope off - indeed I hope he’s around for a few years yet - it’s just that Askey’s preferred style of play works better with Bennett in. 

That said, if Atkinson was as good as folk are saying, then all of a sudden we seem to have genuine options to play lots of different formations.

Perhaps a 4-4-2 with Atkinson and Joyce a solid two, supported by Worrall / Browne and Amoo / Monty out wide and Pope / Bennett / Cullen / Archer up top!!

Or 5-3-2 with Gibbons and Monty as wing backs, Brisley, Smith and Legge as CB’s, then three from Joyce, Worrall, Taylor, Burgess, Conlon and Atkinson with two from SIX (Pope, Archer, Bennett, Cullen, Amoo or Browne) up top.

I think this is as strong a squad as I can remember us having for many a year and why I think we really ought to be looking at a top-7 finish come May.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popes first goal was class,a good cross from Wazza but not much pace on the ball but a fantasticly placed header ,the second showed if his experience ,3 players around him in the box and the ability to stay calm under pressure,top man Popey.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great win today lads. Felt it was hard work though at times, especially 1st half , we were very laboured and didn't have the zip we have shown recently . We were not closing them down and allowing them far too much room to play their attacking moves.

Sending off helped us of course but by bringing Bennett on that was the master stroke.

I can't for the life of me see how any fans can criticise Bennett. He held the ball up, played others in and certainly helped Popey have a bit more room to cause his havoc.

I was one of many who were slating Joyce until his goal and his 2nd half performance showed he can improve and at the end it was a comfortable win.

We are looking like a steady, together bunch of a  squad now and it will only get better. We have a chance in the next 2 games to cement a place in the upper half of the division, so it's fabulous again to be a Valiant.

Roll on Macc, the super Vale away contingent will spur the Vale on to hopefully another win.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

poor game. against a poor side who will finish in the bottom 5 guaranteed. a game we wouldve lost last year. still not clicking as a team but a good result. if we can get 2 wins from the next 3 games then the crewe away fixture will be interesting......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we did well today to come back. Morecambe are a decent side and their limitation like quite a few teams is in the opposition box where they haven't got a goalscorer. Where as, at the moment we have. 

In the first half we struggled in midfield. That was because we haven't got enough tackling strength and Morecambe walked straight down the middle of the pitch, dinked around on the edge of our box and took time to place one in the top corner. No one snapping at heals etc. It was the same the previous game at home. I also felt throughout the game we struggled to get Amoo involved enough, or maybe he stood waiting around in position too much and should have gone searching to get on the ball. 

the sending off helped, but games are often won by other team's making mistakes. The fewer we make the higher in the league we will be. We should accept them and exploit them and we did. Good sub at half time; I feel bennett was unlucky to be out of the team, but Pope showed composure for both goals. Good functional result, team steady, can continue to improve.

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

Great win today lads. Felt it was hard work though at times, especially 1st half , we were very laboured and didn't have the zip we have shown recently . We were not closing them down and allowing them far too much room to play their attacking moves.

Sending off helped us of course but by bringing Bennett on that was the master stroke.

I can't for the life of me see how any fans can criticise Bennett. He held the ball up, played others in and certainly helped Popey have a bit more room to cause his havoc.

I was one of many who were slating Joyce until his goal and his 2nd half performance showed he can improve and at the end it was a comfortable win.

We are looking like a steady, together bunch of a  squad now and it will only get better. We have a chance in the next 2 games to cement a place in the upper half of the division, so it's fabulous again to be a Valiant.

Roll on Macc, the super Vale away contingent will spur the Vale on to hopefully another win.

 

I thought Bennett and Pope showed they could play together effectively today. An opportunity opens up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m often guilty of not posting on here when we lose as I’m in such a foul mood... imagine avoiding ovf after a win due to either:

- writing such rubbish on here that you feel embarrassed

- your personal vendettas haven’t played out as expected so you have nothing to say

- you actually only enjoy it when the vale don’t win

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought we where very poor 1st half and crying out for a strike partner for Pope Thankfully the change was made and we look much better 2nd half. A little concerned about our defence we need to get back to basics to keep clean sheets.

Another good performance from Taylor in midfield really beginning to show what a good player he could be and a decent debut from Atkinson out of position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
Popey on Twitter tonight,well said Tom there are some on here who wouldn't know a footballer if they bit them on the ar$$
 
@Tom_Pope9
· 22m
First rule of football I tell any young player is don’t read, look or listen to any fans websites, forums or chats!!! Not only are the majority clueless but if you listen they can kill a career! Apparently a lot have said Pope is not an asset but a problem
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what Mitch Clarke was doing today - sitting on his arse I suppose talking to his agent about how he can get a game. Contrast that to Taylor and his agent Sproey. Them pair must be well happy with how Taylor's loan is going. Getting to be a much more effective player every match he plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If calling pope a "has been" produces two goals a match from him I'm sure I would be joined by many calling him a "has been" before and during the match...... followed by congratulations because he "has been" doing what he does.

A good win, something to celebrate and 4 good goals. Pleasantly surprised by the early sub.

Well done Vale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Often the Manager baffles me. I applaud his introduction of Will Atkinson and if he continues to produce he will need a longer deal before someone else steps in. On now to why he confuses me:

 1 Why does he continue to play one man up front when it is clear as day that two strikers is the way to go as the second half on Saturday proved. Some called it a master stroke to bring on Bennett, I would describe it as just common sense and I hope that the Boss takes this onboard in the future. With just one up top the 'lone ranger' is surrounded and snared by three giants who in Popey's case are allowed to foul him constantly with next to no reaction from the poor quality refs.

2 Also why is one of our best players, David Amoo being shoved out onto the left flank very often when he should clearly be out on the right! Worrall in my opinion can be effective in other positions whereas Amoo is only half the player when he is played out of position.

 To me it isn't rocket science, just good old common sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, old sage said:

The disrespect that is shown to Tom Pope is I find stupid  and very, very sad. Tom Pope is the number one choice to lead the line though he does need the help of a partner up front but tell me a striker who does enjoy playing on their own up front.

  There isn't a better centre forward in the division he has sublime heading ability, good ball control and is a good passer of the ball. Granted he lacks pace but as he himself admits ''how can you lose something which you never had in the first place?''

  I fully expect Tom to be our main striker for several years yet because he wont lose his heading ability and his many other assets that have made him a great striker for Port Vale.

 Please folks think before you write rubbish on here about Tom being 'a washed up has been' because it is disrespectful and embarrassing to the best servant that we have had for many years.

Well said. Some of the bile spoken about a player who has kept us in the football league let alone been a brilliant servant and model to all those around him is down right disgusting. The bloke is a true legend. 

The issue that people are seeing, in my opinion, is that Popey has never been and will never be a lone striker. He has never had the pace to be and as he gets older is less mobile than he once was. There was an article in the sentinel where pope said as much himself last season. 

The second half should shut those up moaning about him for now. And proves that when you play someone alongside him he’s still the same threat. But it won’t stop the debate until we find a way of helping him up top. Askey needs to solve that particular puzzle for me. And hopefully with Atkinson’s signing may have done just that. Stronger midfield may allow us to play 2 up front or at least get players closer to Pope. 

Bennett gives us something totally different up front. He is more mobile than popey so will always look better on his own. He definitely made the goals for Pope yesterday by drawing and harrying defenders. 

Need to be careful as it was against 10 men but I’d be starting Bennett and pope up top next week. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Andy Hill......good call. He was impressive today and playing in midfield I think he will be even more influential? I posted at half time we had to inject some pace and get two up front....wasn't sure if Pope should have stayed on but JA knows better than me...... Bennet was the key that opened them up.

More like Alan Webb for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dantheman said:

Well said. Some of the bile spoken about a player who has kept us in the football league let alone been a brilliant servant and model to all those around him is down right disgusting. The bloke is a true legend. 

The issue that people are seeing, in my opinion, is that Popey has never been and will never be a lone striker. He has never had the pace to be and as he gets older is less mobile than he once was. There was an article in the sentinel where pope said as much himself last season. 

The second half should shut those up moaning about him for now. And proves that when you play someone alongside him he’s still the same threat. But it won’t stop the debate until we find a way of helping him up top. Askey needs to solve that particular puzzle for me. And hopefully with Atkinson’s signing may have done just that. Stronger midfield may allow us to play 2 up front or at least get players closer to Pope. 

Bennett gives us something totally different up front. He is more mobile than popey so will always look better on his own. He definitely made the goals for Pope yesterday by drawing and harrying defenders. 

Need to be careful as it was against 10 men but I’d be starting Bennett and pope up top next week. 

 

Teams had worked out that if we play Pope up front on his own then put two markers on him it stops us playing.

First half Pope was isolated up on his own without any real support.

Second half Bennett came on and what a change causing havoc in their defence.

If we have two up front they need 3 men back to mark them and can’t overload our midfield.

Amoo must play on the right as he struggles on the left and cuts in to hit a traffic jam stopping him being effective.

Signing Will Atkinson a recognised established league player makes sense as he can also play midfield as well as full back.

Praise again to Jake Taylor who is growing into his role and I thought it was between him and Joyce for MOM.

Edited by Erniemossrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Advert




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy