onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

Fosse69

Often the Manager baffles me. I applaud his introduction of Will Atkinson and if he continues to produce he will need a longer deal before someone else steps in. On now to why he confuses me:

1 Why does he continue to play one man up front when it is clear as day that two strikers is the way to go as the second half on Saturday proved. Some called it a master stroke to bring on Bennett, I would describe it as just common sense and I hope that the Boss takes this onboard in the future. With just one up top the 'lone ranger' is surrounded and snared by three giants who in Popey's case are allowed to foul him constantly with next to no reaction from the poor quality refs.

2 Also why is one of our best players, David Amoo being shoved out onto the left flank very often when he should clearly be out on the right! Worrall in my opinion can be effective in other positions whereas Amoo is only half the player when he is played out of position.

To me it isn't rocket science, just good old common sense. 

Advert

10 hours ago, old sage said:

The disrespect that is shown to Tom Pope is I find stupid  and very, very sad. Tom Pope is the number one choice to lead the line though he does need the help of a partner up front but tell me a striker who does enjoy playing on their own up front.

There isn't a better centre forward in the division he has sublime heading ability, good ball control and is a good passer of the ball. Granted he lacks pace but as he himself admits ''how can you lose something which you never had in the first place?''

I fully expect Tom to be our main striker for several years yet because he wont lose his heading ability and his many other assets that have made him a great striker for Port Vale.

Please folks think before you write rubbish on here about Tom being 'a washed up has been' because it is disrespectful and embarrassing to the best servant that we have had for many years.

Well said. Some of the bile spoken about a player who has kept us in the football league let alone been a brilliant servant and model to all those around him is down right disgusting. The bloke is a true legend. 

The issue that people are seeing, in my opinion, is that Popey has never been and will never be a lone striker. He has never had the pace to be and as he gets older is less mobile than he once was. There was an article in the sentinel where pope said as much himself last season. 

The second half should shut those up moaning about him for now. And proves that when you play someone alongside him he’s still the same threat. But it won’t stop the debate until we find a way of helping him up top. Askey needs to solve that particular puzzle for me. And hopefully with Atkinson’s signing may have done just that. Stronger midfield may allow us to play 2 up front or at least get players closer to Pope. 

Bennett gives us something totally different up front. He is more mobile than popey so will always look better on his own. He definitely made the goals for Pope yesterday by drawing and harrying defenders. 

Need to be careful as it was against 10 men but I’d be starting Bennett and pope up top next week. 

15 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Andy Hill......good call. He was impressive today and playing in midfield I think he will be even more influential? I posted at half time we had to inject some pace and get two up front....wasn't sure if Pope should have stayed on but JA knows better than me...... Bennet was the key that opened them up.

More like Alan Webb for me?

4 hours ago, dantheman said:

Well said. Some of the bile spoken about a player who has kept us in the football league let alone been a brilliant servant and model to all those around him is down right disgusting. The bloke is a true legend. 

The issue that people are seeing, in my opinion, is that Popey has never been and will never be a lone striker. He has never had the pace to be and as he gets older is less mobile than he once was. There was an article in the sentinel where pope said as much himself last season. 

The second half should shut those up moaning about him for now. And proves that when you play someone alongside him he’s still the same threat. But it won’t stop the debate until we find a way of helping him up top. Askey needs to solve that particular puzzle for me. And hopefully with Atkinson’s signing may have done just that. Stronger midfield may allow us to play 2 up front or at least get players closer to Pope. 

Bennett gives us something totally different up front. He is more mobile than popey so will always look better on his own. He definitely made the goals for Pope yesterday by drawing and harrying defenders. 

Need to be careful as it was against 10 men but I’d be starting Bennett and pope up top next week. 

Teams had worked out that if we play Pope up front on his own then put two markers on him it stops us playing.

First half Pope was isolated up on his own without any real support.

Second half Bennett came on and what a change causing havoc in their defence.

If we have two up front they need 3 men back to mark them and can’t overload our midfield.

Amoo must play on the right as he struggles on the left and cuts in to hit a traffic jam stopping him being effective.

Signing Will Atkinson a recognised established league player makes sense as he can also play midfield as well as full back.

Praise again to Jake Taylor who is growing into his role and I thought it was between him and Joyce for MOM.

Teams had worked out that if we play Pope up front on his own then put two markers on him it stops us playing.
First half Pope was isolated up on his own without any real support.
Second half Bennett came on and what a change causing havoc in their defence.
If we have two up front they need 3 men back to mark them and can’t overload our midfield.
Amoo must play on the right as he struggles on the left and cuts in to hit a traffic jam stopping him being effective.
Signing Will Atkinson a recognised established league player makes sense as he can also play midfield as well as full back.
Praise again to Jake Taylor who is growing into his role and I thought it was between him and Joyce for MOM.

Turns out Macc reserves aren’t doing too bad, hey?

2 hours ago, Jacob_123 said:

Macc 1st Team v Macc Reserves next up! 

Refreshing to see we are actually capable of scoring more than one goal per game this season. That’s 11 in the last four games (3 league, 1 FL trophy).

2 hours ago, Jacob_123 said:

Most of the Macc reserves are on the bench and won’t get a place when other players are fit.The current team consists of last years squad plus Amoo,Taylor  and Atkinson.Ok Burgess played for Macc but has moved on since then.

Pity the budget was wasted on Lloyd ,Evans and Kennedy when better players were available.

21 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Macc 1st Team v Macc Reserves next up! 

Refreshing to see we are actually capable of scoring more than one goal per game this season. That’s 11 in the last four games (3 league, 1 FL trophy).

Can't believe we're doing alright so far and starting to score goals and all of this without Cullen contributing anything. I genuinely thought our season, what we do, would largely depend on how good he is for us and how many games he's fit enough to play. 

4 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Most of the Macc reserves are on the bench and won’t get a place when other players are fit.The current team consists of last years squad plus Amoo,Taylor  and Atkinson.Ok Burgess played for Macc but has moved on since then.

Pity the budget was wasted on Lloyd ,Evans and Kennedy when better players were available.

Ernie, there’s a rumour going round that Ryan Lloyd has given your missus one. It would explain your posts. 

On 05/10/2019 at 17:20, Playa Amodores said:

I thought Atkinson, Pope, Worrall and Joyce had good games. There was nothing Brown or any GK could do about their sublime goal. I thought others were bang average with the exception of Amoo (is he fit), Crookes is the lad a left back, and Bennett I struggle to see what he contributes to the team. Defiantly not an inspired substitution as I don’t know what he contributes to the team.It’s time to give Archer a run if he’s fit.

What he gives the team REALLY? He's our top scorer for gods sake he has also had the assist in at least 3 other goals that i can recall including the 3rd goal yesterday. He is a defendes nightmare around the box. What else do want him to  do?

Archived