onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

Fosse69

Must be something to do with the way we’re playing, with stable ownership behind the team, but when we went behind for some reason I wasn’t too concerned, sort of had a feeling we’d score at some point and probably win... it’s starting to remind me of the promotion season where Saturday afternoons were a more enjoyable affair!!! (Touch-wood)

Advert

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Agreed. I love it that we are now walking up the bank to the Railway Stand with hope rather than dread in our hearts. 

I thoroughly enjoyed today’s game - Popey’s goals in particular. More of the same please, Vale. 

Definitely. It’s was more of a chore to go and watch us over the last couple of seasons . However I’m glad to say the excitement on a Saturday morning is well and truly back . UTV.

I was one who said Bennett should start rather than Pope. That doesn’t mean I’ve written Pope off - indeed I hope he’s around for a few years yet - it’s just that Askey’s preferred style of play works better with Bennett in. 

That said, if Atkinson was as good as folk are saying, then all of a sudden we seem to have genuine options to play lots of different formations.

Perhaps a 4-4-2 with Atkinson and Joyce a solid two, supported by Worrall / Browne and Amoo / Monty out wide and Pope / Bennett / Cullen / Archer up top!!

Or 5-3-2 with Gibbons and Monty as wing backs, Brisley, Smith and Legge as CB’s, then three from Joyce, Worrall, Taylor, Burgess, Conlon and Atkinson with two from SIX (Pope, Archer, Bennett, Cullen, Amoo or Browne) up top.

I think this is as strong a squad as I can remember us having for many a year and why I think we really ought to be looking at a top-7 finish come May.

Popes first goal was class,a good cross from Wazza but not much pace on the ball but a fantasticly placed header ,the second showed if his experience ,3 players around him in the box and the ability to stay calm under pressure,top man Popey.

Great win today lads. Felt it was hard work though at times, especially 1st half , we were very laboured and didn't have the zip we have shown recently . We were not closing them down and allowing them far too much room to play their attacking moves.

Sending off helped us of course but by bringing Bennett on that was the master stroke.

I can't for the life of me see how any fans can criticise Bennett. He held the ball up, played others in and certainly helped Popey have a bit more room to cause his havoc.

I was one of many who were slating Joyce until his goal and his 2nd half performance showed he can improve and at the end it was a comfortable win.

We are looking like a steady, together bunch of a  squad now and it will only get better. We have a chance in the next 2 games to cement a place in the upper half of the division, so it's fabulous again to be a Valiant.

Roll on Macc, the super Vale away contingent will spur the Vale on to hopefully another win.

I thought we did well today to come back. Morecambe are a decent side and their limitation like quite a few teams is in the opposition box where they haven't got a goalscorer. Where as, at the moment we have. 

In the first half we struggled in midfield. That was because we haven't got enough tackling strength and Morecambe walked straight down the middle of the pitch, dinked around on the edge of our box and took time to place one in the top corner. No one snapping at heals etc. It was the same the previous game at home. I also felt throughout the game we struggled to get Amoo involved enough, or maybe he stood waiting around in position too much and should have gone searching to get on the ball. 

the sending off helped, but games are often won by other team's making mistakes. The fewer we make the higher in the league we will be. We should accept them and exploit them and we did. Good sub at half time; I feel bennett was unlucky to be out of the team, but Pope showed composure for both goals. Good functional result, team steady, can continue to improve.

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

Great win today lads. Felt it was hard work though at times, especially 1st half , we were very laboured and didn't have the zip we have shown recently . We were not closing them down and allowing them far too much room to play their attacking moves.

Sending off helped us of course but by bringing Bennett on that was the master stroke.

I can't for the life of me see how any fans can criticise Bennett. He held the ball up, played others in and certainly helped Popey have a bit more room to cause his havoc.

I was one of many who were slating Joyce until his goal and his 2nd half performance showed he can improve and at the end it was a comfortable win.

We are looking like a steady, together bunch of a  squad now and it will only get better. We have a chance in the next 2 games to cement a place in the upper half of the division, so it's fabulous again to be a Valiant.

Roll on Macc, the super Vale away contingent will spur the Vale on to hopefully another win.

I thought Bennett and Pope showed they could play together effectively today. An opportunity opens up.

I’m often guilty of not posting on here when we lose as I’m in such a foul mood... imagine avoiding ovf after a win due to either:

- writing such rubbish on here that you feel embarrassed

- your personal vendettas haven’t played out as expected so you have nothing to say

- you actually only enjoy it when the vale don’t win

Thought we where very poor 1st half and crying out for a strike partner for Pope Thankfully the change was made and we look much better 2nd half. A little concerned about our defence we need to get back to basics to keep clean sheets.

Another good performance from Taylor in midfield really beginning to show what a good player he could be and a decent debut from Atkinson out of position. 

Popey on Twitter tonight,well said Tom there are some on here who wouldn't know a footballer if they bit them on the ar$$

@Tom_Pope9
· 22m
First rule of football I tell any young player is don’t read, look or listen to any fans websites, forums or chats!!! Not only are the majority clueless but if you listen they can kill a career! Apparently a lot have said Pope is not an asset but a problem

I wonder what Mitch Clarke was doing today - sitting on his arse I suppose talking to his agent about how he can get a game. Contrast that to Taylor and his agent Sproey. Them pair must be well happy with how Taylor's loan is going. Getting to be a much more effective player every match he plays. 

If calling pope a "has been" produces two goals a match from him I'm sure I would be joined by many calling him a "has been" before and during the match...... followed by congratulations because he "has been" doing what he does.

A good win, something to celebrate and 4 good goals. Pleasantly surprised by the early sub.

Well done Vale.

Archived