onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

Fosse69

Advert

Pretty woeful first half with too much hoofing up to Pope. Fair play to Askey for his half time substitution because the introduction of Bennett changed the game. Morecombe aren't much cop with a left back with a physique similar to James Corden. Man of the match for me was Worrell who's cross for Pope's first was inch perfect and special mention to Luke Joyce. Where the hell did that come from?

Definition of a game of two halves. Terrible first half. Second fantastic

Really like the look of Atkinson. I think when he's fully fit and in the middle we will have a real player there. Joyce Taylor the CBs and Pope having fantastic games too.

My stand outs have to be Bennett who's introduction freed up pope to make a nuisance of himself and his closing for the third was fantastic. However my MOTM has to go to Worrall. Run himself into the ground again, I don't think any other player in either team would have got to that ball for the second goal assist, but he made it his!

Great game, onwards and upwards.

34 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

I liked the look of Atkinson....calm and composed on the ball....driving forward, head up looking to pick a pass. I reckon he'll be good value in midfield alongside Joyce. 1st game of the season for him and looked pretty fit and tuned in.

We were saying ,before the game,sometimes you need a proper defender at fullback,akin to Andy Hill.Someone composed and a decent passer under pressure..Atkinson fitted the bill today.As a bonus he occasionally got into forward positions.Cracking performance by him.Wozzer was close to him for MOTM.I agree with some,Bennett coming on changed things.

19 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

We were saying ,before the game,sometimes you need a proper defender at fullback,akin to Andy Hill.Someone composed and a decent passer under pressure..Atkinson fitted the bill today.As a bonus he occasionally got into forward positions.Cracking performance by him.Wozzer was close to him for MOTM.I agree with some,Bennett coming on changed things.

Andy Hill......good call. He was impressive today and playing in midfield I think he will be even more influential? I posted at half time we had to inject some pace and get two up front....wasn't sure if Pope should have stayed on but JA knows better than me...... Bennet was the key that opened them up.

Poor first half but Askey turned it around with the substitution. Worrall is just a quality player. His constant running and the quality for the second goal made him my man of the match. Great debut by Atkiinson. He didn’t put a foot wrong. I actually wanted Pope off and then he scores two goals!!! Special mention for Joyce who this season is showing us what an excellent player he is. Let’s now get an away win. 

As others said a real game of 2 halfs and credit to Askey for doing something he doesn’t normally do, and that’s being bold and changing the formation to give us the advantage. Going 2 up top changed it totally. Of course their lad going off helped us massively because we were really struggling in that first half at times. Atkinson looks a real asset and what I liked about him was that second half he was clever enough to get himself into the midfield and get on the ball and pick out passes and help us overrun them. Clearly he’s good on the ball and for me next week I’d be looking at putting him in to the midfield for Burgess with Gibbons back in at right back, I think that would make us stronger. Credit to Popey as well today, 2 very good goals. It’s absolutely beyond me why the idiots post as soon as a goal goes against us slagging off Popey and the choice of him starting. It’s like they’re waiting for things to go wrong.  They made themselves look the negative idiot that they are. 

Suddenly we look pretty good in the middle of the park all of a sudden! Atkinson will be stellar there with his composure and know how. Joyce is a player under Askey. Young Taylor is very promising and will only get better. Burgess has a bit about him too. It's a shame about Oyeleke being so injury hit as we know how good he can be. But I don't see how Conlon will get back in to be honest and I've got nothing against the lad - He always works hard and has the odd pearler from outside the box in him. 

The disrespect that is shown to Tom Pope is I find stupid  and very, very sad. Tom Pope is the number one choice to lead the line though he does need the help of a partner up front but tell me a striker who does enjoy playing on their own up front.

There isn't a better centre forward in the division he has sublime heading ability, good ball control and is a good passer of the ball. Granted he lacks pace but as he himself admits ''how can you lose something which you never had in the first place?''

I fully expect Tom to be our main striker for several years yet because he wont lose his heading ability and his many other assets that have made him a great striker for Port Vale.

Please folks think before you write rubbish on here about Tom being 'a washed up has been' because it is disrespectful and embarrassing to the best servant that we have had for many years.

3 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Pope is a complete has been. Getting paid money to moan and live off past glories. Great player but we are doing him the biggest favour in the world with a two year deal. His legs have gone and should join Dodds at Chorley. 

Pope is a complete has been...........Oh dear what an embarrassing comment. 

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

Andy Hill? Wow, sublime - one of the best defenders I've ever seen at VP so if Atkinson is a throw back to Andy we are in for more than a few treats. Could be the signing of the season...let's see!

The disrespect that is shown to Tom Pope is I find stupid  and very, very sad. Tom Pope is the number one choice to lead the line though he does need the help of a partner up front but tell me a striker who does enjoy playing on their own up front.
  There isn't a better centre forward in the division he has sublime heading ability, good ball control and is a good passer of the ball. Granted he lacks pace but as he himself admits ''how can you lose something which you never had in the first place?''
  I fully expect Tom to be our main striker for several years yet because he wont lose his heading ability and his many other assets that have made him a great striker for Port Vale.
 Please folks think before you write rubbish on here about Tom being 'a washed up has been' because it is disrespectful and embarrassing to the best servant that we have had for many years.
Spot on that

22 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Suddenly we look pretty good in the middle of the park all of a sudden! Atkinson will be stellar there with his composure and know how. Joyce is a player under Askey. Young Taylor is very promising and will only get better. Burgess has a bit about him too. It's a shame about Oyeleke being so injury hit as we know how good he can be. But I don't see how Conlon will get back in to be honest and I've got nothing against the lad - He always works hard and has the odd pearler from outside the box in him. 

Hopefully Atkinson can provide some legs in the middle. I felt Morecambe were able to run through the middle far to easily first half. Cranston was the main threat, both through the middle on the counter and out wide, so they lost this when he went off.  We don’t seem to have players who can keep up or make up ground in these situations.

Full marks to the staff for changing things at half time. We needed another striker on alongside Pope and Bennett did a great job.

Archived