onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Morecambe

Fosse69

Advert

We need to utilise the energy, pace and power we have with Amoo, Woz and Bennett first half and, if needed, make changes after 55 minutes to bring on Pope and Archer.

I expect Morcambe will try and stifle us, ruin the game and try and pinch a goal on the break. This type of game will show how much progress we've made since last season. We've competed well with the top end teams but will we have the quality to see off the lower teams? Step up Amoo to get in behind their defence and create chances aplenty. UTV

Pope might be better than Bennett in that we might need the aerial threat against these who will likely look to park the bus.

Hopefully we get more bodies back this week, Monty and Amoo on the flanks would be useful.

Morecambe have been dreadful but we actually haven’t scored in our last three home ties against these.

If we play at the level we have shown at times this could be that hammering we’ve threatened but not delivered.

First goal as always is key, get that they have to attack us.

Would like to avenge one of the most one sided performances last season which we managed to lose in this one!

We should be getting 3 points against these. I’d have the usual 4-3-3 with Bennett in for Pope and Burgess, Joyce and Taylor midfield three. 

I’m starting to wonder whether we should shuffle the centre back pairing. We’re not exactly watertight, so maybe Brisley for Smith.

Also, slightly off topic, but I’d definitely give Ben Garrett a contract. 

42 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

We should be getting 3 points against these. I’d have the usual 4-3-3 with Bennett in for Pope and Burgess, Joyce and Taylor midfield three. 

I’m starting to wonder whether we should shuffle the centre back pairing. We’re not exactly watertight, so maybe Brisley for Smith.

Also, slightly off topic, but I’d definitely give Ben Garrett a contract. 

I think Legge and Smith have been pretty solid, imo, Crookes is the weakest link, maybe Brisley in for Crookes.

I believe we have enough to mount a playoff challenge, and that’s why results like Salford and Orient, where we’ve apparently played some great football but thrown it away at the death, are particularly galling. 

If conventional wisdom is 70 points, then we need say 50 at home (equivalent to 15 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats) and 20 away (so 5 wins, 5 draws, and 13 defeats). 

This should be achievable IMO, injuries permitting, especially with a couple of reinforcements in January.

7 hours ago, Conrad said:

I think Legge and Smith have been pretty solid, imo, Crookes is the weakest link, maybe Brisley in for Crookes.

Brisley is not a left back. The only permutation with our current squad is Brisley for Smith. We haven’t kept many clean sheets, so it could be an option. Would boost our aerial presence and add a bit of experience. 

On another note, great to see Taylor and Burgess scoring again. If they carry on chipping in with goals that could be difference between mid-table and a playoff push.

I’m going to put my neck on the line and say Archer will be the first choice striker in 6 games time (refer back to this post if he flops 😄) I think he will give us a different dimension with his pace and strength. He needs to sort that shoulder though. Can’t believe he is playing after a few weeks, as even a dislocation without an op is 6 weeks out. If it goes for a second time, it will be a constant battle for him. 

Overall, gutted that we conceded so late, but we have a chance over the next month to get ourselves in contention for the playoffs mix. Do us proud lads. Fingers crossed. Keep the faith. UTV. 

For me:

---------------------Brown--------------------

--Kennedy--Smith--Legge--Crookes--

-------Burgess---Joyce---Taylor--------

--Worrall--------Bennett--------Amoo--

As much as I don't rate Kennedy, I'd say it's the only viable option as no point playing Brisley/others out of position. That team should be more than enough to beat Morecambe though.

This Pope/Bennett situation is frustrating & I cannot understand why people want Bennett dropped so much given his output so far this season compared to Pope's. Given the latter's age, tempo & style, I don't think he should be starting many games at all, more just used as a sub for 20 mins/half an hour (if needed), in the way Stoke used Crouch. Don't really think we need him all that much at the moment, especially when we have Archer/Bennett/Cullen all available.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

This Pope/Bennett situation is frustrating & I cannot understand why people want Bennett dropped so much given his output so far this season compared to Pope's. Given the latter's age, tempo & style, I don't think he should be starting many games at all, more just used as a sub for 20 mins/half an hour (if needed), in the way Stoke used Crouch. Don't really think we need him all that much at the moment, especially when we have Archer/Bennett/Cullen all available.

I understand where you're coming from especially when talking about an impact sub but I wouldn't go that far in saying we don't need him. For me Bennett should be the number one choice because he gives us movement up front that Pope can't give us.I haven't been very impressed with Cullen so far and Archer, despite showing flashes of potential, is still an unproven commodity. Pope is still one of the best headers of the ball in the lower leagues and is a victim of his own success as we tend to lump it towards him rather than play crosses into him that he thrives on. Pope is still a fantastic asset to Vale as long as we use him properly

Archived