Sign in to follow this  
robf

Where's the weirdest place you've followed a Port Vale match from?

Inside the Incinerator. My nephew who is a Vale fan was given free tickets to the Brit via his school but had to take an adult. He is a vale fan but wanted to go as his classmates were all going, mum and dad couldn't take him so I volunteered. We sat with headphones in listening to the Vale away, we won and scored 2 goals. We jumped up giving it the big Come on.

Proud to say he is 31 now , a season ticket holder and sits by my side in Lorne st.

• Haha 1

On 27/09/2019 at 11:38, robf said:

Living quite a way from Stoke, I've followed Vale from some odd places when I've not been able to get to the game.

This weekend I'm missing the Orient game as I'm running a half marathon. But as I'm puffing my way around the course I'll have the match commentary on.

Which made me think - where are the strangest places or what has been the oddest situation that you've followed a live match from?

(note: if I get an interesting selection, your comments may be used in a feature on the OVF frontpage. I hope that is OK with everyone)

I once did two weeks training in Germany in a hotel which I am pretty sure was the set for 'The Shining'. I was the only guest in this very large hotel. It had an abandoned swimming pool and was generally a scary place to be. The was even an odd room that was like a childs room rather than a normal guest room with no child to be seen, Anyway, the Wifi in the hotel was crap, and I mean crap. So the only place I could get enough signal to follow the game was in the bathroom next to the shower. Safe to say I dragged the scummy pillow and quilt and listened to the game there.

I was in a hotel in Beijing when I heard we had been knocked out of the cup by Chasetown.  Rang my wife from the hotel lobby at silly o'clock to get the score, and her opening statement was "you're not going to like this....".  Luke Rogers, 2 missed penalties - the dim sum didn't taste the same after that.

In a hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia, 1-0 down, I'm absolutely knackered after a day temple trekking followed by an evening on the 30p beers, fall asleep for about 5 minutes and managed to miss Vale's equaliser. Finished 1-1, can't remember who against but we were away.

Plenty in Australia when I lived there for a year. Internet was so poor though I could barely refresh the live text nevermind stream the game.

I also paid £10 quid for unlimited wifi on a flight to Thailand last year, purely to watch sentinel/twitter updates for a vale game.

Edited by Regal Beagle
  • Like 1

Numerous deserts, portakabins around the world, but the weirdest one was a broken hardened bunker in Kandahar, Afghan we used as our base. Even met a couple of sjoke fans at Kandahar, so we had some good banter with them asking if we could use their tops as rags to clean our vehicles.  Funny trying to explain football to US Marines.

• Like 1

Mine is not so much a weird place, but more of a weird situation.

My aunt is a Greek Cypriot whose family used to live in Famagusta, who lost their home and possessions after being forced to flee to the south to avoid the invading Turks in 1974. 

Famagusta is right on the border and you can see the city from the Greek side, so in a visit there in 1990 my Aunt took us to the border from where you could see her old home.

Now this day Vale were playing at Villa in the Cup and I was listening to the BBC World Service on a pocket radio desperately trying to find out the score.
At this point, a Turkish border guard pointed a gun in my general direction indicating that perhaps I should move on. I took his advice. At that very minute the BBC informed me that Vale had lost 6-0 ! 
I don’t know which shocked me the most ! 

• Like 1

I was working one Saturday Afternoon at the A&E of our local hospital,when I drew the short straw to prepare for a red cross showing in the mortuary.

The family were due to turn up at 16,30, So at 15.00 hrs  Myself plus 1x Lab Tech made our way down the hill to the Chapel next door and began preps for the showing. 

Who knows? we may now have a Converted  Vale fan further away than we though.

Edited by LoveRapt
Missed word

During the first Gulf War the club gave my mum free videos of games to mail to me. I got the video of the Portsmouth game (? think it was Portsmouth but it was a game we won 3 - 2) and managed to convince a Kuwaiti family to let me watch it in their house one or 2 days before the ceasefire.

The other video I remember from that season was the one Brian Mills scored 2 or 3 goals in but that was just before coming home. Quite a few of the videos never got watched as I normally got 3 or 4 in a mail drop and there wasn't room to keep them because the old VCRs were quite bulky, so I normally kept the wins and had to trash the rest. 

A lot easier now with iPlayer, this season I've watched games in Iraq, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Bahrain, China, Singapore and Hong Kong. What would have been unusual has now become very easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JRC said:

During the first Gulf War the club gave my mum free videos of games to mail to me. I got the video of the Portsmouth game (? think it was Portsmouth but it was a game we won 3 - 2) and managed to convince a Kuwaiti family to let me watch it in their house one or 2 days before the ceasefire.

The other video I remember from that season was the one Brian Mills scored 2 or 3 goals in but that was just before coming home. Quite a few of the videos never got watched as I normally got 3 or 4 in a mail drop and there wasn't room to keep them because the old VCRs were quite bulky, so I normally kept the wins and had to trash the rest. 

A lot easier now with iPlayer, this season I've watched games in Iraq, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Bahrain, China, Singapore and Hong Kong. What would have been unusual has now become very easy.

With ifollow and previous versions listened around the world if I could get wifi.  Just getting up at weird hours - lads thought I was just mad for doing it, but you have to being a Vale fan.

11 hours ago, JRC said:

A lot easier now with iPlayer, this season I've watched games in Iraq, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Bahrain, China, Singapore and Hong Kong. What would have been unusual 

thank you

• Thanks 1