onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where's the weirdest place you've followed a Port Vale match from?

robf

Advert

It must have been January 2006. I was in a phone box outside a hostel called The Pint On Punt in Melbourne when I was backpacking. I used a phone card to call my Dad in Kidsgrove. He put the phone by the speaker so I could listen the commentary at 2am. I was there for the full match, he briefly kept picking the phone up asking if I was still there. He thought I was absolutely mental. We lost 3-1 against Aston Villa in the cup.

Cavellosim, Goa. The local sports bar said they hadn’t got the game on, went back to our accommodation frustrated to say the least only to find the local Indian sports channel had the match on. Played Walsall on a Sunday a few seasons back and I think it may have been a live game back in the UK also.

Inside the Incinerator. My nephew who is a Vale fan was given free tickets to the Brit via his school but had to take an adult. He is a vale fan but wanted to go as his classmates were all going, mum and dad couldn't take him so I volunteered. We sat with headphones in listening to the Vale away, we won and scored 2 goals. We jumped up giving it the big Come on.

Proud to say he is 31 now , a season ticket holder and sits by my side in Lorne st.

On 27/09/2019 at 11:38, robf said:

Living quite a way from Stoke, I've followed Vale from some odd places when I've not been able to get to the game.

This weekend I'm missing the Orient game as I'm running a half marathon. But as I'm puffing my way around the course I'll have the match commentary on.

Which made me think - where are the strangest places or what has been the oddest situation that you've followed a live match from?

(note: if I get an interesting selection, your comments may be used in a feature on the OVF frontpage. I hope that is OK with everyone)

I once did two weeks training in Germany in a hotel which I am pretty sure was the set for 'The Shining'. I was the only guest in this very large hotel. It had an abandoned swimming pool and was generally a scary place to be. The was even an odd room that was like a childs room rather than a normal guest room with no child to be seen, Anyway, the Wifi in the hotel was crap, and I mean crap. So the only place I could get enough signal to follow the game was in the bathroom next to the shower. Safe to say I dragged the scummy pillow and quilt and listened to the game there.

I was in a hotel in Beijing when I heard we had been knocked out of the cup by Chasetown.  Rang my wife from the hotel lobby at silly o'clock to get the score, and her opening statement was "you're not going to like this....".  Luke Rogers, 2 missed penalties - the dim sum didn't taste the same after that.

In a hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia, 1-0 down, I'm absolutely knackered after a day temple trekking followed by an evening on the 30p beers, fall asleep for about 5 minutes and managed to miss Vale's equaliser. Finished 1-1, can't remember who against but we were away.

Plenty in Australia when I lived there for a year. Internet was so poor though I could barely refresh the live text nevermind stream the game.

I also paid £10 quid for unlimited wifi on a flight to Thailand last year, purely to watch sentinel/twitter updates for a vale game.

Numerous deserts, portakabins around the world, but the weirdest one was a broken hardened bunker in Kandahar, Afghan we used as our base. Even met a couple of sjoke fans at Kandahar, so we had some good banter with them asking if we could use their tops as rags to clean our vehicles.  Funny trying to explain football to US Marines.

Mine is not so much a weird place, but more of a weird situation.

My aunt is a Greek Cypriot whose family used to live in Famagusta, who lost their home and possessions after being forced to flee to the south to avoid the invading Turks in 1974. 

Famagusta is right on the border and you can see the city from the Greek side, so in a visit there in 1990 my Aunt took us to the border from where you could see her old home.

Now this day Vale were playing at Villa in the Cup and I was listening to the BBC World Service on a pocket radio desperately trying to find out the score.
At this point, a Turkish border guard pointed a gun in my general direction indicating that perhaps I should move on. I took his advice. At that very minute the BBC informed me that Vale had lost 6-0 ! 
I don’t know which shocked me the most ! 

Archived