onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where's the weirdest place you've followed a Port Vale match from?

robf

Living quite a way from Stoke, I've followed Vale from some odd places when I've not been able to get to the game.

This weekend I'm missing the Orient game as I'm running a half marathon. But as I'm puffing my way around the course I'll have the match commentary on.

Which made me think - where are the strangest places or what has been the oddest situation that you've followed a live match from?

(note: if I get an interesting selection, your comments may be used in a feature on the OVF frontpage. I hope that is OK with everyone)

Advert

Settled down in a bar in Nuremburg airport, in a corner,  to "quietly" watch on the laptop, A couple of typical Bavarians, complete with lederhosen asked what as I was doing, so I explained. Anyway they were curious, asked who they should be supporting, I said Vale, the ones in black and white. So they settled down to watch.

The crowd began to grow, so the bar owner asked what was going on. Seeing as it was quite quiet and pretty much everyone was gathered around my laptop, he said he'd put it on the big screen.

So there was me and about 30 new Bavarian Vale fans sat in Nuremburg airport watching on the big screen. It was the Lincoln game, we lost 2-6.

Weirdest would probably be following twitter to keep up to date with Vale v Rotherham in our first year back in L1 in between Xmas and New Year, we won 2-0...

I was on a whale watching boat in the North Atlantic off Reykjavik/Hafnarfjordur in Iceland. Cold, we were bouncing off rough sea's but got enough signal to keep track of the game!

I once used a phonecard to ring up Clubcall from a French payphone to follow a match against Swindon when I was a student. They must have thought it was just some UK landline number because I managed to ring it a few times over the course of the 90 minutes.

A week later I tried the same thing against Norwich I think but they blocked it.

I suppose the strangest place would be a bar in pat pong market, Bangkok.

Sitting up a corner, shooing away bar girls, avoiding the odd ping pong ball and declining various invitations and proposals of a "sensitive" nature.

Before you jump to conclusions... the sign outside read "Girls Girls Girls" "Free Internet".... it was the latter that caught my eye..... after picking up the near half time score (7 hour time difference) I moved to a quieter bar, ordered a large Bombay sapphire,  lit a cigar (I was sitting outside) and watched the world go by..... accompanied by two young ladies who insisted they knew me.

A couple of nice places I gleaned the scores.....

Upstairs on a dreamliner? Flying out of Hong Kong. 

Business lounges at Dubai and Qatar airports.... again with a Bombay and cigar.

13th December 1995 - Perugia 3 - 5 Port Vale Group A Game - Anglo Italian Cup.

We went on coach to the match in Italy, however a severe snow storm stopped us in our tracks a few hours before kick off and we couldn't get to the game, phoned home from a pay phone on an Italian service station to find out we were winning 4-2, game finished 5-3 to Vale!! Oh the days.......... 

Flew to Santiago in Chile and met up with a cruise ship in Valparaiso for a trip up the west coast of South America and then on up to LA. The first port of call was a town called Coquimbo in Chile, the Vale were playing (It was the days of Valiant Player) and I insisted on listening to the Vale on the ship before going ashore which didn't earn any brownie points at all.

Walking around Coquimbo we discovered it had an English quarter and came across "The Hotel Liverpool" which alas had seen better days.

Chile is a fantastic country from the little we saw of it, hope to go back there one day.

Listened to Vale in bars in the Caribbean from Curacao to Cartagena in Columbia to Antigua, just get of the boat and find a bar which provides an internet connection  if you purchase a beer or few, always find someone to talk with..

Listening to the Vale on the train going to Penn. Station in Manhattan, we were losing 1-0 when we went into the tunnel system around NYC and lost the signal. Wnen we got to the Hotel Popey had scored to make it 1-1, can't remember the opponents.

Archived