Fosse69

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Although apprehensive of the mid week game due to our injury situation it seems things turned out well, win bonus, key players rested, injured players eased back, game time for squad players, and a confidence boost for our visit to the Orient. May even have given Askey selection headaches of a more positive nature. Orient not doing great guns at present, so a chance of a first league win away or caution of a turn of fortune. Put it in our own hands, go for it Vale and put the chances away, hopefully Manny to make an appearance.

For me (if available of course):

------------------Brown------------------

--Gibbo--Legge--Smith--Crookes--

------Taylor----Joyce----Manny------

--Amoo-------Bennett------Worrall--

Subs: Maddison, Brisley, Kennedy, Burgess, Pope, Cullen, Archer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

For me (if available of course):

------------------Brown------------------

--Gibbo--Legge--Smith--Crookes--

------Taylor----Joyce----Manny------

--Amoo-------Bennett------Worrall--

Subs: Maddison, Brisley, Kennedy, Burgess, Pope, Cullen, Archer.

Fingers crossed on availability then

Bennett scored yesterday ... Why would he be dropped. He is now the top goal scorer at the club with 4 from open play while Tom has 1 penalty. It would make sense to go to Orient with an attacking mentality and that would not be Tom Pope leading the line. I would start with Bennett and if it was deemed beneficial that he be substituted then I would go for Archer who would worry any defense more than Tom.  I know there are folk who still say Tom is a 20/season man but that was a few years ago now and as I know very well, as you get older you still think you can do what you have always done but unfortunately father time has the last word and we all have to slow up. This is shown up by the younger, fitter and more driven people wanting your crown. Last night we had two midfielders who scored their first goals for Vale and showed speed and pace that we have been crying out for ......Why would we want to not promote that style of play all over the field.  Bennett stays put for me .

• Like 4

Seems that the squad is evolving, with two different formations used this week to add to the 433.

Last night, Burgess, Taylor, Bennett and Archer progressed their causes.

It's intriguing, and a plus side of both injuries and the Mickey Mouse Cup.

I'm guessing that this season will continue in similar vein, with players developing, stalling, returning...

It's quite exciting in its way.

At least something is happening and the management appear to be flexible in their approach at this stage.

Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Can't help thinking as Pope was rested that he will start at Orient.

Not for me , Bennett all day.

That's certainly my view too, although there have been question marks about his hold up play relative to Tom.

Being able to shoot from 30 yards has to be an asset away from home!

Might we play a diamond formation again, allowing for two up top?

37 minutes ago, pensioner said:

Bennett scored yesterday ... Why would he be dropped. He is now the top goal scorer at the club with 4 from open play while Tom has 1 penalty. It would make sense to go to Orient with an attacking mentality and that would not be Tom Pope leading the line. I would start with Bennett and if it was deemed beneficial that he be substituted then I would go for Archer who would worry any defense more than Tom.  I know there are folk who still say Tom is a 20/season man but that was a few years ago now and as I know very well, as you get older you still think you can do what you have always done but unfortunately father time has the last word and we all have to slow up. This is shown up by the younger, fitter and more driven people wanting your crown. Last night we had two midfielders who scored their first goals for Vale and showed speed and pace that we have been crying out for ......Why would we want to not promote that style of play all over the field.  Bennett stays put for me .

I think in the last 3 away games Bennet has offered virtually nothing and to me was a bit of a passenger. When you’re away it’s usually that the home team has more of the play and that’s when we need the striker to be holding it up and bringing players in, instead of it coming straight back. I’d start Pope over him for those reasons. 

• Like 1

Not sure if Pope is better suited away or better suited on smaller pitches. In a battle with centrehalves tight Pope is still one of the best at this level and will score goals at this level.

Bennett is quicker and a lot more mobile than Pope and does drag centrehalves out of position. He's poor in the air from a standing jump but ok when he gets a run towards the ball. Increasingly reminds me of Crouch, who was a better footballer than a lot game him credit and in some ways a worse traditional centreforward than people expected given his height. I suspect his stats for ground covered is a lot higher than most fans realise. He's pretty undemonstrative, which can make people think he isn't working hard. He must be the most low key goalscorer in the league, barely more than a smile for his last 2 goal. Archer is more eye catching but time will tell who is more effective.

Not sure who I'd pick Saturday. Think the back 4 picks itself, Joyce, Worrall and Taylor, plus Oyeleke if they feel his fitness is ok. Then 2 from Amoo, Bennett, Cullen, Archer and Pope (assuming Montano is still unfit).

Edited by JRC

Away from the team selection, excellent effort by the away travellers to sell out the initial batch of 300 tickets. See you all there Saturday

• Like 1

Heard that the extra tickets have gone as well. Not a new one for me but a long time since I last went. Been twice before. Bernie Slaven's debut where he was sent off, Ray Walker took over the game and scored the winner and a 3-2 win with that rare thing a Vale hat trick by Martin Foyle. Hopefully my 100% record continues Saturday.

• Like 1

Foyle’s hat trick on Easter Monday in the promotion season was lovely, especially Kent’s slide rule through ball for his third. I went with my dad on the official coach for that one. 

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The only ground we have ever played a 6th round FA Cup match on.

"Leake's shot evades Groombridge and finds the far corner"!!

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

"Leake's shot evades Groombridge and finds the far corner"!!

With the chairman of the FA Sir Stanley Rous looking on.

Heard that the extra tickets have gone as well. Not a new one for me but a long time since I last went. Been twice before. Bernie Slaven's debut where he was sent off, Ray Walker took over the game and scored the winner and a 3-2 win with that rare thing a Vale hat trick by Martin Foyle. Hopefully my 100% record continues Saturday.
We won 1-0 in the game where Slaven was sent off on his debut. I think the 3-2 win was the season after in our promotion season.