onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

6 minutes ago, Smugsy said:

I don't mind his aggression. Rather that than a passive approach to the game. Today's booking he didn't deserve. He took exception to the Orient's forward attempt to win a penalty, gave the forward a mouthful then the Orient player got up and grabbed Gibbons's shirt and that's when the melee started as Pope amongst others ran in to defend Gibbons. The net result was two bookings for Vale and one for Orient.

That’s how I saw it today too. Referees don’t seem to come down hard enough on players trying to con them, as their lad was clearly after a penalty. Thk as fk though is a harsh statement and I doubt any keyboard warrior would dare say that to any players face though. But I’d say more headstrong and passionate in the shirt, in time players like that will hopefully learn to know when the right time to be aggressive is. There’s been plenty of players throughout the game at all levels with that streak in them and it makes them what they are, I’d rather see some passion than passiveness. I was at the supporters club meeting the other night and the amount of fans that said to him in their questions, or when were chatting that aggression and passion is what makes him a fan favourite. 

Just watched the goals again, Joyce follows his man in to the box, glances at him to see where he is, then he turns to face the ball and in that split second he loses his man and he’s inbetween him and Gibbons (who was maybe caught in 2 minds with their wing back behind him), but it was worrying in that opening ten minutes how many times they got at us down the left. We need to look at how we can shore that up. But for the rest of the first half I’d say it was the best we’d played all season just a pity we didn’t convert more of those chances. Amoo and Worrall we’re running riot down the wings in particular. 

i see lloyd has come in for a lot of criticism again. I wouldnt have brought him on, I’d have brought on a centre half for that last ten minutes to try and weather the storm and see the game out. Easy to say now of course. 

Advert

20 minutes ago, Santa said:

I had to watch it again because I couldn’t quite believe what I was seeing at the game. 

Does Joyce have a look round, realise that neither central defender is anywhere to be seen and get torn between following his man and defending the space?

Crookes was nowhere to be seen. Smithy got stuck trying to cover and also cover his own left CB position. Not for the first time. A tame cross came in and we had Gibbo and Joyce defending it. Where Legge was I do not no. Not to pin the blame on anyone in particular. But Gibbo and Joyce should not be the only two in the box defending a high ball.

3 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Actually I was on holiday and didn’t comment.

According to off Lloyd had a blinder and everyone was saying he should have been taken off.

How we won playing with 10 men [ Lloyd was playing) I don’t know.

Just admit he isn’t good enough at this level and should not have been signed.

The worrying thing is if Garlick is true to form he has already made 5 appearances and could have his contract extended like Tonge and Pugh last year.

Can’t you ever post without slagging someone off. 

3 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Actually I was on holiday and didn’t comment.

According to off Lloyd had a blinder and everyone was saying he should have been taken off.

How we won playing with 10 men [ Lloyd was playing) I don’t know.

Just admit he isn’t good enough at this level and should not have been signed.

The worrying thing is if Garlick is true to form he has already made 5 appearances and could have his contract extended like Tonge and Pugh last year.

I don't do blocking because I think you can read opinions and then ignore them anyway. Why why why you have this obsession with certain individuals is beyond me. And keep going on about it.

Lloyd and Garlick. The root of all evil.  Come on man. Get a grip. You talk sense on a good day.

1 hour ago, Santa said:

I had to watch it again because I couldn’t quite believe what I was seeing at the game. 

Does Joyce have a look round, realise that neither central defender is anywhere to be seen and get torn between following his man and defending the space?

The shape of Crookes, smith and Legge is shocking in that they’ve all been drawn out to the left. Joyce has gone in with his man and I’m pretty sure that’s the right thing to do, but he’s just lost him at the last second. You could argue Gibbo could have got closer, but if he thought Joyce was already picking that player up then it makes sense as otherwise if he came closer then that would that then leave a big hole at the back post where the wing back was for them. 

28 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

The shape of Crookes, smith and Legge is shocking in that they’ve all been drawn out to the left. Joyce has gone in with his man and I’m pretty sure that’s the right thing to do, but he’s just lost him at the last second. You could argue Gibbo could have got closer, but if he thought Joyce was already picking that player up then it makes sense as otherwise if he came closer then that would that then leave a big hole at the back post where the wing back was for them. 

Yep. Gibbo had the man behind him to worry about Joyce was kind of stuck in a position he should not have been in. Neither to blame for me. We just switched off for that one down the left.

Second, a bit of a poor header from Crookes, but not that bad. Good hit from their bloke to be fair,

Third a mix up with Legge and Brown. It happens. I love Brown to bits but dealing with the high ball is not his strength.

45 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Yep. Gibbo had the man behind him to worry about Joyce was kind of stuck in a position he should not have been in. Neither to blame for me. We just switched off for that one down the left.

Second, a bit of a poor header from Crookes, but not that bad. Good hit from their bloke to be fair,

Third a mix up with Legge and Brown. It happens. I love Brown to bits but dealing with the high ball is not his strength.

Their second was a beauty and equally so was our third. Two fantastic goals. I agree on Brown, I was wondering if he could of come for the first too, as it’s not too far from his 6 yard box. 

We were outstanding in the first half apart from the 4th minute when we didn't defend for 30 seconds. We needed to take more of the excellent chances we created but, as is the case every week now, we don't take enough of our chances and usually get punished later in the game.

I don't like to criticize but I'm a bit disappointed in JA second half. Their manager made a substitution and tactical change at half time and basically pegged back Gibbo and forced us to sit deeper. JA did not respond to this and they bossed the majority of the second half. Amoo was anonymous after half time and should have been replaced with Bennett after 50-55 minutes. 

Pope should have either stayed on the pitch or been subbed for Archer. The fact that Lloyd was used as a sub in this game was a mistake. He is, in my opinion, not at the standard or level required for L2 football. Hopefully he will improve over time but, for the moment, the team seem to struggle (and concede) when he is introduced. 

We made this feel like a home game in the first half but they got behind the O's in the second half and probably deserved a draw. I do think better and earlier subs by JA would have seen us win this game comfortably. 

I meant Right back! Half asleep last night posting that and muddled up with Crookes being referred to as LWB.

Overall though I think we are far improved from the Aspin Port Vale side last season. We generally have an identity and way of playing, appear more energetic and score goals and create chances.

I think most would take the improvement we’ve seen but it is frustrating as feel we are just concentration away from having a side that can challenge the top 7 in this league which is really poor quality wise this season.

If we can iron that out we’ve a chance, big few games against sides below us now, 7 points from the next three should be the aim.

I’m annoyed by yesterday as it was entirely avoidable and we had them on the ropes but seemed to sit back and let them have the ball rather than go for the jugular knowing we would likely get a chance to score with every cross as they couldn’t defend any ball into the box.

It’s something to learn from with Askey tactically and the defence in how they dealt with it but plenty of positives.

Jake Taylor is starting a look a very good signing! What a strike! Burgess has had a great week and seems to be a useless player rather than the one people castigated without seeing him play. He was in the Bury L1 side a few years back.

11 hours ago, Doha said:

He’s thick as fcuk. Constantly picking up stupid bookings or seeing the red mist. Stupid boy.

Didn’t we have a young player once that was castigated for his aggression and picking up yellow cards. Ended up leaving the club after being called a coward by Micky Adams. Wonder what happened to him. Must have dropped down the leagues and into obscurity. 

Oh no, that would have been Sam Morsy. Who on here wouldn’t have liked him in our team over the last few seasons. 

They’re young lads and need to focus their aggression and use it in a sensible way. They just need time to mature and guidance by senior pro’s  

I think the start we have made would be in line with most people expectations. Lost only 3 and we are a much better side to watch

askey has used the budget well in addressing the main problem with last years side. Goals. It seems all his incoming transfers have contributed to goals. Plus he has got the 2 CB’s scoring. It has to be deemed as a decent start & a decent transfer window with a modest budget.

We have played a lot of fancied sides with a favourable run of fixtures to come. Reminds me of the run of fixtures around Xmas last year where we were expecting to pick up points. We didn’t and it became the start an an awful run 

1 hour ago, Caselord said:

I think the start we have made would be in line with most people expectations. Lost only 3 and we are a much better side to watch

askey has used the budget well in addressing the main problem with last years side. Goals. It seems all his incoming transfers have contributed to goals. Plus he has got the 2 CB’s scoring. It has to be deemed as a decent start & a decent transfer window with a modest budget.

We have played a lot of fancied sides with a favourable run of fixtures to come. Reminds me of the run of fixtures around Xmas last year where we were expecting to pick up points. We didn’t and it became the start an an awful run 

But but but... Ryan Lloyd.... errrr.... I’m not happy we aren’t signing players we can’t afford.... Ryan Lloyd... why aren’t our young defenders absolutely perfect at every possible moment... Must be Ryan Lloyds fault. I also got a parking ticket yesterday ... that’s Ryan Lloyd’s fault. Why aren’t we top of the league... Ryan Lloyd, Ryan Lloyd, RYAAAAAAAAN LLLOOOOOOOOOOOYD.

Good post... sensible, logical and absolutely right. It won’t go down well with a few on here. 

Archived