onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New deals.

Playa Amodores

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Archer may have looked good but he’s played what 2/3 games. January, if he still looks decent then and can stay injury free then we offer a new deal. 

I saw him play for Bury in the friendly at VP. I know it was only a friendly and I was mightily impressed with his performance. He was easily the best player on the pitch and I was wishing that we had someone like him in our team. He was quick decent touch, not afraid to get stuck in and gave our defenders a hard time. It’s a few years since I’ve seen a player like Archer playing for the Vale, plenty of other teams seem to have them, when they play against ourselves. JA must have been impressed also as he purchased him on the strength of his performance in the friendly game. He is the only option we have, if we need to play with just one up front. I prefer to have two up front but sometimes I appreciate that that’s not possible especially if the opposition have a strong midfield.

Advert

1 hour ago, robf said:

While that's true, in recent years it frustrated me that Vale took that as an excuse to not even try and offer new deals early. In my view it's better to offer your key players an improved deal in the hope they will sign it than simply not bother. So, while it may be the case that some players may not take up the offer of a new deal, the club should at least make the offer.

Problem is that it establishes a baseline for other offers, if a player gets an offer of say £1000 a week from us, he can use that to say I want more to move. We still don't get to sign him if someone makes a better offer, he is just using us to bump the price up. 

I believe we should follow examples of successful managers, Alex Ferguson for one.  Tell all the players and agents which month deals will be presented.  That needs to be far enough into the season to establish consistency from a player.  It is no good signing up a supposed world beater after 10 games to see them disappear in November.  

John Askey's strategy for recruitment is, so far, looking good, I think he will be sensible and probably not be too far away from this model I support.  It worked last close season when he secured Manny.  The positivity of our owners is also a factor in player retention.

We should not be obsessing about this too soon, and right now is far too soon.  I would set a date of February.

8 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Worrall, Smith, Gibbo, Legge, Manny, Joyce, Pope , Archer and Monty are all players out of contract who I would be looking to negotiate new terms with

I actually think giving Pope that 2 year deal was a major mistake. He is on big wages and yes he is an outstanding legend and servant, but that isn’t now and he is getting paid the wages of a 20 a season striker, which he isn’t anymore. 

26 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

I believe we should follow examples of successful managers, Alex Ferguson for one.  Tell all the players and agents which month deals will be presented.  That needs to be far enough into the season to establish consistency from a player.  It is no good signing up a supposed world beater after 10 games to see them disappear in November.  

John Askey's strategy for recruitment is, so far, looking good, I think he will be sensible and probably not be too far away from this model I support.  It worked last close season when he secured Manny.  The positivity of our owners is also a factor in player retention.

We should not be obsessing about this too soon, and right now is far too soon.  I would set a date of February.

I understand your comment and tank you for joining in this debate. Could February be a little late as players coming to the end of their contract in 2020, could sign a pre contract agreement with other clubs.?

i also appreciate that whilst as fans of PVFC we would give everything to pull on our beloved white shirt and represent the team, for the players it’s a job. This leads to a lot of them being mercenaries, as would we be if a company was offering more money to us to go and work for them. 

Therefore they have mortgages and bills to pay, so some might sign as it offers them security, early on, instead of them having insecurities.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Problem is that it establishes a baseline for other offers, if a player gets an offer of say £1000 a week from us, he can use that to say I want more to move. We still don't get to sign him if someone makes a better offer, he is just using us to bump the price up. 

Like it or not that’s how contract negotiations go in football. A player gets offered £1000 a week from us, players waits it out, another club are offering  £1200 and so it goes back and forth as the players tries to get the best deal here by using the interest from others as a bit of a bargaining chip. It could mean more money or more bonus clauses added, but it doesn’t always guarantee that they’ll be off though to the highest bidder.

It is a tricky thing because we do not know what is in players' contracts. Appearance clauses, optional second years (which I suspect several of our one year contract players have, optional for them that is). Plus the finances. And some players are just nomads. 

What I would hope is that we sign up players we would have a fee right on. Gibbo, Smithy? So they don't go for free. And act proactively with the rest come Dec. Might work out might not. Players do like a bit of stability but might also follow the Dollar. Also with some you have to take playing time/attitude into consideration.

But hopefully, unlike in the last few years, there will be a sane approach to this. Not like the January shitshow we've had for years. I'm sure it will not under sane owners will not flog someone off to buy a Telsa.

20 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I actually think giving Pope that 2 year deal was a major mistake. He is on big wages and yes he is an outstanding legend and servant, but that isn’t now and he is getting paid the wages of a 20 a season striker, which he isn’t anymore. 

I tend to agree. At the time we had literally no one else who looked like they could score a goal, and the club was at one of its lowest points in terms of morale - Pope's extension gave everyone a boost.

I deleted "on reduced terms" next to Pope's name before I posted my first post, evidentially redundant as I had forgotten he signed his extension last year. 

Askey has got rid of the trouble makers - he has also made his own signings - some good and some not so good and some still to be tested regularly at first team level. Some may be at this level because of injury questions, some on 1 yr contracts to see how they fare . That is what has happened in the last transfer period and in my opinion the team is light years better than it was under the previous regime . We have three forwards who have scored at least one goal, we have a centre half who is the second highest goal scorer, we now have a midfield that has scored and most important of all the Vale are becoming a pleasure to watch - Ok we will allways have the odd Grimsby game but we are not Man City are we . Oh hang on they had their Norwich game. It happens to us all. What I am getting at is that Askey, and his advisors have signed players who are now turning into a TEAM. For the first time in a long time I have faith in the management teams ability to get the right people in, and to keep those who want to stay. Money will always rule and sometimes we wont compete but that is life in the lower leagues unless you want to go the way of Bury. Not all his signing have come good yet but they are not as bad as people were suggesting when they were signed. I'm quite prepared to let John Askey manage the transfers and I wont pretend to know 1/10th of what he and Rudgie know so wont go and try and tell him what he should do , when or who to sign. 

6 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I saw him play for Bury in the friendly at VP. I know it was only a friendly and I was mightily impressed with his performance. He was easily the best player on the pitch and I was wishing that we had someone like him in our team. He was quick decent touch, not afraid to get stuck in and gave our defenders a hard time. It’s a few years since I’ve seen a player like Archer playing for the Vale, plenty of other teams seem to have them, when they play against ourselves. JA must have been impressed also as he purchased him on the strength of his performance in the friendly game. He is the only option we have, if we need to play with just one up front. I prefer to have two up front but sometimes I appreciate that that’s not possible especially if the opposition have a strong midfield.

I dont disagree. He looks very good. I was very surprised upon first viewing of him; seems to have everything to be a very decent striker. However it is far too early especially given injuries imo to give him a new deal. If he’s still impressing, starting games and scoring goals come December / January time and stays injury free I would give him a 2 year deal. 

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I dont disagree. He looks very good. I was very surprised upon first viewing of him; seems to have everything to be a very decent striker. However it is far too early especially given injuries imo to give him a new deal. If he’s still impressing, starting games and scoring goals come December / January time and stays injury free I would give him a 2 year deal. 

I totally agree with you. I was only mentioning him as I think he can give us something that we need and haven’t had for some years. There are others who are just as important. I just wouldn’t like those players slipping through are fingers. We’ve hit the bottom of the barrel and are imo on the up. I can’t wait to see JA’s first eleven on pitch as we haven’t sent it yet and I’m very optimistic. I only go home games but this season I walk to games thinking we’ll win today. I haven’t felt like that for the last three seasons.

i appreciate yours and every other fans opinions, if they’re relevant 

7 hours ago, bomber said:

I think what happens in Janruary defines your intentions! Get rid of your best player's you may be looking at relegation get someone half decent in  you mean business 

But to get rid of your best players in January means someone is coming in for them with a bid. Who was the last player we sold? Was it the January window a couple of years ago when grant and alnwick went? Which players in our side are clubs going to be willing to pay a fee for  and why wouldnt they just wait til summer when they could get them nothing. 

Archived