onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: EFL Macclesfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

A lot more plusses than minuses for me after this game...

I was impressed with Taylor and particularly Burgess in midfield. Bennett got another goal. Archer looked back to full fitness. Nice to see Manny back. Nice to see Gibbo as captain at the end. Brisley looked solid. The unsung Joyce did his usual thing.

Only a few negatives... 

Kennedy and Lloyd still a bit off the pace though to be fair to Ryan he came more into the game as it progressed. 

However, I would imagine that Askey has got to be happy that a team with Legge, Smith and Worrall all rested managed an away win and banked £10k...

7 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

After Saturday's shocker of a performance (following on from his pathetic cameo v Forest Green) I had hoped that Askey would realise just how out of his depth Lloyd is.

Surely now, after another seemingly p1ss-poor performance tonight against Macclesfield reserves (10 changes from their League game) it must click with Askey that he should abandon any thoughts of picking Lloyd for the 1st team. 

At least it seems that Burgess has now moved himself ahead of Lloyd for first-team contention.

Completely agree, however I do think Phil Bowers was being overly critical of Lloyd. Especially second half when he did up his game. I watched on ifollow and quite a few Vale players gave the ball away, but he always highlighted Lloyd. Also, didn’t praise him for a few good things he did second half as Sproson was summarising mid-play and he missed it.

Anyway, after all the stick he is getting I would probably loan him out in January to a National League team so he can carry on his career there. I think it’s gone past the point of no return now, and hopefully we’ll have a few quid to bring in a replacement.

On another note, I was impressed with Brisley and Burgess, and fully expect them to be in the squad ahead of Kennedy and Lloyd. 

Also, Archer excites me. Think there is a real player if we can keep him fit. 

Jake Taylor caught the eye as well. Great to see us with so much energy in midfield compared to last year! 

Fantastic to see us win away, and it would be even better if we could repeat the feat on Saturday.

UTV. Keep the faith. 

First half the team struggled but Burgess scored a great goal.  Second half we were tons better and could have got five or six but for their keeper.  Lloyd was very decent second half and could well have scored but for a great save by their keeper.  Archer looked good when he came on - he's so quick and it was great to see Manny back on the pitch - he is so difficult to knock off the ball when he gets it.

Very good and noisy following from the Vale.  At a similar stage last year we took 64 to Walsall!

10 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Completely agree, however I do think Phil Bowers was being overly critical of Lloyd. Especially second half when he did up his game. I watched on ifollow and quite a few Vale players gave the ball away, but he always highlighted Lloyd. Also, didn’t praise him for a few good things he did second half as Sproson was summarising mid-play and he missed it.

Anyway, after all the stick he is getting I would probably loan him out in January to a National League team so he can carry on his career there. I think it’s gone past the point of no return now, and hopefully we’ll have a few quid to bring in a replacement.

On another note, I was impressed with Brisley and Burgess, and fully expect them to be in the squad ahead of Kennedy and Lloyd. 

Also, Archer excites me. Think there is a real player if we can keep him fit. 

Jake Taylor caught the eye as well. Great to see us with so much energy in midfield compared to last year! 

Fantastic to see us win away, and it would be even better if we could repeat the feat on Saturday.

UTV. Keep the faith. 

Good summary, & said this last night about Lloyd, he'll likely have zero confidence, so with people always on his back (warranted or not), it's probably not going to get much better for him. Best to move him on in Jan if possible, Burgess should easily be ahead in the pecking order anyway after last night.

Good win & run out in prep for Saturday, hopefully we can have Amoo back then as well as Manny & Archer.

33 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Good summary, & said this last night about Lloyd, he'll likely have zero confidence, so with people always on his back (warranted or not), it's probably not going to help

Yeah the assassination 100% can’t have helped.

No one expected him to pull up any trees, and he was always going to be squad filler ... but the vitriolic attack of the poor bloke from day one seems to have sucked any confidence out of the lad at all.

Well done those that set out to make it clear he wasn’t welcome, would be hounded from day one and would be jeered if everything he tried didn’t come off perfectly. Wonderful environment to come and play in.

The first half was like a training game. Poor goal to concede being caught over the top, but Kennedy had a dodgy first half I thought. Great goal from Burgess to level it up. Thought Bennet should have done better from a good cross from Gibbons in that first half too. Second half was totally different we looked the only team likely to win it. Taylor and Burgess showed some real energy in midfield that could be vital to put the opposite under pressure when we press. It was a very good finish from Taylor too for the third goal. Nice to see manny get on the pitch, I’d be starting him on Saturday and putting Worrall wide right.

lloyd is getting a lot of comments, I was at the game so didn’t hear bowers comments, but it doesn’t surprise as I think he’s a terrible commentator, can’t help but say the first thing that comes in his head when something goes wrong. Lloyd did a lot of simple stuff wrong, as did others, he did some stuff right too. But the lad is on a hiding to nothing and he clearly isn’t liked, he was getting stick for stuff that wasn’t his fault at time. Crucially he isn’t quick enough to help out the left back and he isn’t quick enough to trouble a full back when going forwards, so I don’t know where his position is on the pitch. But Burgess should be in front of him. The problem is balance in the team, as we have no other left footer to play there with other players out injured. I thought their second goal was poor too, a player with a left foot like that should have been shown the line rather than inside. But we came away with a win and some positives, Bennet did well holding it up and bringing others in, manny and archer on the pitch, game time for brisley and Burgess, Taylor would have got confidence from that and Gibbons looked more mobile than he did last Saturday after his injury as well. 

Watching on iPlayer I thought Lloyd was poor second half. I'd agree he had a ok second half. Unlucky not to score. Brisley was much better than Kennedy, who looked out of it all game.

Big plus was Burgess who looked to have a lot about him and Brisley.

Just watched the highlights - three good goals, i thought, and nice to see us shooting from distance instead of the Vale habit of trying to walk the ball in the net! Wish people would leave Lloyd alone - his confidence is never going to be high if we pack him off on loan just because some cretin(s) decides to keep having a pop at him! If the team gets a few players back and starts winning more games, some of that confidence might rub off on him?

2 hours ago, JRC said:

... I thought Lloyd was poor second half. I'd agree he had a ok second half.

He hasn't got much chance with that kind of comment, though!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived