onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Campbell and Macclesfield

Jacko51

Advert

I really don’t know what Campbell truly expected when he took the Macclesfield job. 

From the outside he certainly seems to have done a fabulous  job. But coming from non league and averaging less than than 2,000, what was he expecting at Macc ?

To me, this shows how out of touch with the reality of lower league football the modern day top footballer truly is. Whilst there is no excuse for him not being paid, his talk of analysts, camera’s etc is non sensical. This is lower league football ! 

Modern players are so mollycoddled from an extremely early age that they do not know what reality is.

He had to pay the bills for his house and travel expenses ? Welcome to the real world Sol ! 

He appears to be an extremely arrogant chap. Having done reasonably well at Macc but not stuck it out, I'd expect his next job to be another League Two club or possibly a lower end League One club. I'd put money on the fact that he's eyeing up Championship and Premiership jobs.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:33, philpvfc said:

Totally arrogant. He walked out on Notts County after accepting to play for them. Seems like he has has been spoilt by playing in the Premiership, feels he is good enough to manage in the Premiership when he definitely is not.

Respected Prem player and England international. Has to learn his trade at Macc, unlike some others who start their managerial careers at Rangers and Derby. Spot the difference.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:00, toyahw said:

Respected Prem player and England international. Has to learn his trade at Macc, unlike some others who start their managerial careers at Rangers and Derby. Spot the difference.

Not sure I buy into the idea of racism here (haven't read much about it in all honesty though so it's possible), surely the fact he's been out of the game at any level of quality for 7/8 years is a factor?

He was interviewed a few years back & even said that now he had done his coaching badges, he was willing to take a non-league club job & work without a salary as it was proving difficult getting back into the game, so based on that he can't really complain all that much, given he set the bar incredibly low.

Times move quickly in football, if you're dormant or not in the public eye for even a short period as a manager, expect to struggle. Beggars can't be choosers.

12 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not sure I buy into the idea of racism here 

Possibly not. But on the face of it it does look a bit thingy when a lot of useless/unproven white managers walk into top jobs. And Sol has to work for nothing at Macc?

He did a good job at Macclesfield.  To say he is being too pampered for wanting decent technology for his analyst is unfair, that is a tool of the trade now for any football league club.  He did not take the Macc job for money, and he could probably have done more due diligence, but that is part of his wider learning experience. He would have done better to keep his counsel and not slagged off Macc Town.

His playing background, allied to the good job he did as a manager, ought to give him a chance elsewhere.  He is being talked about as a possible Southend United appointment, but Henrik Larssen looks more likely.  I do not see him as arrogant.  I think he is right to question why he has not been given a chance in management before now.  His record as a player is not wholly dissimilar to Tony Adams', yet Tony has been given lots of chances, despite his alcohol and criminality background.  I am not slagging off Tony Adams, but I am making the point that I think Sol Campbell has not been given the same opportunities as others from a similar playing background.

I've been critical of him in the past, and I still think his breathtaking arrogance will eventually be his comeuppance. But I think he lasted as long as he could at Macc before having to walk. I hope he gets somewhere that will give him another chance, and that he shows his true colours which will cause that club to implode due to his man management 'skills'.

Macclesfield is an absolute disaster and playing above the level the infrastructure of the club can currently sustain. They should have a budget that matches their income, but it seems like they've got themselves in to some sort of financial situation that is irretrievable without someone stepping in to get back on a level footing (And the current owners don't appear to be prepared to do that). It looks like they could be the next club to suffer a points deduction. I think there are a few local businessmen willing to step in, but only to run the club as something that is a going concern and not as something that consistently needs propping up financially.

I think the one thing Vale fans should take from this is, John Askey did an incredible job in those circumstances to get Macclesfield promoted. He exceeded expectations regularly there, and I think over the coming years we will see that too.

13 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Given the stories about players not being paid it sounds more and more like he jumped before the ship went down. 

But again this leads to the question after their failures to pay multiple times last season and various winding up orders why did the EFL let them sign players in the summer! Its nuts in that some players hadn't been paid so were able to walk free from their contracts (Evans to us being one) yet the EFL sanctioned signings when they hadn't paid players in some cases for a few months.

Crazy.

Sol did very well at Macc and that should make him more employable going forwards but:

They signed 27 players last season not as many as Brown but I would imagine that that would have taken a lot of their budget.
He had to take time out of football due to mental illness
He has constantly complained about racism being the reason he hasn't been able to get a managerial job - this before managing Macc and usually when talking about championship level jobs or higher - without dropping to non league or youth football like many others to gain experience
He has come out with comments saying he is one of the greatest minds in football etc.
He coached at QPR in 2017 but as far as I am aware (I may be wrong) did very little in football inbetween retiring and that role, instead opting for politics, despite having numerous contacts within the game.

Whilst non of these on their own are major issues I think all of them combined make employing him a big risk. These are also things that separate him from the likes of Gerrard & Lampard who have both shown through their careers that they are humble despite being great players and despite landing good first managerial jobs have never shown a sense of entitlement.

Before Macc, other than the fact he had played for England I don't think there was anything on his CV that would make a chairman even consider him as a manager & I think that is the reason he had struggled to get managerial jobs. Now he has done well in a managerial role this has changed but there still plenty of concerns for anyone looking to employ him as a manager. 

I hope he gets a job and proves me wrong. I also hope it isn't the Vale at any point.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived