onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town.

Fosse69

4 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’m not convinced it’s a lack of effort and it’s more a lack of ability. 

Me neither. Or more accurately limited ability. And some times lack of a clear plan (like today). And injuries. 

Going out on a limb here. I didn't think Ryan Lloyd did too bad. Now this does not mean I think we should have signed him. But there a few more in that category who never even make it on the pitch. He has a good left foot and played a couple of decent balls. He was not the reason we were rubbish.

There is an agenda against the bloke that is unfair. His player rating is currently 2.8 which is ridiculous. Several of our players stank. What did Taylor do? Crookes is often (as today) AWOL. Even Gibbo was rank for the first 30.

I assume he went off injured? So joy for most Vale fans? Just seem to turn on certain players and Lloyd is on a hiding to nothing at Vale. To repeat I would not have signed him, but I think his treatment is very unfair. He was not one of our worst players today.

Advert

We got a point we didn't deserve on the balance of chances created. We were better in their penalty box than they were in ours. We showed resilience and kept going and that led to equalizers in both halve's time added on. But we were overrun in midfield. That midfield was flaky because it didn't have a tackler and it wasn't physically strong enough. I am sorry but Lloyd is just not good enough and we had nothing going forward and little in defence down the left side of the pitch after he came on. When Bennett replaced him, I don't understand why he went and played left wing, surely we should have changed formation to get him in three up front. He looked completely out of place and got booked from not understanding how to pay there. But, hey, Askey justified in the end, we scored. I think we are running out of steam and players, but have winnable league games coming up. We must rest as many players as possible on Tuesday. Some times players aren't missed until they are out - Conlan. 

9 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Me neither. Or more accurately limited ability. And some times lack of a clear plan (like today). And injuries. 

Going out on a limb here. I didn't think Ryan Lloyd did too bad. Now this does not mean I think we should have signed him. But there a few more in that category who never even make it on the pitch. He has a good left foot and played a couple of decent balls. He was not the reason we were rubbish.

There is an agenda against the bloke that is unfair. His player rating is currently 2.8 which is ridiculous. Several of our players stank. What did Taylor do? Crookes is often (as today) AWOL. Even Gibbo was rank for the first 30.

I assume he went off injured? So joy for most Vale fans? Just seem to turn on certain players and Lloyd is on a hiding to nothing at Vale. To repeat I would not have signed him, but I think his treatment is very unfair. He was not one of our worst players today.

have to agree, Lloyd wasn't that bad, and did a few good things. Our left side was causing the problems, but given the players missing I'm happy with a point.

Lloyd was awful. Was able to watch him close up second half. His passes were nearly all misplaced. He stands around in space and doesn't mark. Then he chases back with determination but gives away fouls in the danger zone near the box. He can run with the ball until he sees an opponent and gets tackled easily. He needs to improve at simply everything.

5 minutes ago, Warren said:

We got a point we didn't deserve on the balance of chances created. We were better in their penalty box than they were in ours. We showed resilience and kept going and that led to equalizers in both halve's time added on. But we were overrun in midfield. That midfield was flaky because it didn't have a tackler and it wasn't physically strong enough. I am sorry but Lloyd is just not good enough and we had nothing going forward and little in defence down the left side of the pitch after he came on. When Bennett replaced him, I don't understand why he went and played left wing, surely we should have changed formation to get him in three up front. He looked completely out of place and got booked from not understanding how to pay there. But, hey, Askey justified in the end, we scored. I think we are running out of steam and players, but have winnable league games coming up. We must rest as many players as possible on Tuesday. Some times players aren't missed until they are out - Conlan. 

Bennett played on the left wing many times last season for Morcambe in fact if memory serves me right he set up their winning goal cutting in from the left to beat us last season 

23 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I have no agenda against Lloyd but he was out of his depth today by a long way. From what I heard today about Gibbos desire to play after not training at all all week means the he gets a bit of pass for me, it showed in how he played that he wasn’t at his usual levels. Yet he put the effort in despite clearly not being anywhere near fit, you could argue the gamble paid off as he was involved in the first goal, and despite that Mansfield still didn’t create much against him on his side. Says it all that they’d rather play him over Kennedy. Worrall has a really bad first half too, as did Joyce. Was it the system as Askey maybe suggests it was?

1 minute ago, Mario said:

Bennett played on the left wing many times last season for Morcambe in fact if memory serves me right he set up their winning goal cutting in from the left to beat us last season 

Interesting. For me he is a potent threat in the box and he has good mobility outside the box. He can do tackling when he presses. But to me he needs to be in an around the box. I mean, if he has played a lot on the left wing then he sould have been brought on ahead of Lloyd to play in that position. As I say he didn't look natural there. 

49 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’m not convinced it’s a lack of effort and it’s more a lack of ability. This is league two football which I think the older ones amongst us would say these players probably wouldn’t have made it in Division 3 or 4.

Some of these players get released by a club and then they pack the game in as no other clubs even non league offers them a deal. I believe that Ricky Miller doesn’t have a club. I agree it is very frustrating

Cullen is a much better player than Miller who he has replaced. When Cullen, Worrall and Pope get playing together with Gibbo behind they can play some really good stuff. Cullen is not quite back to match fitness, but he is excellent in the box.

14 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

1) I have no agenda against Lloyd but he was out of his depth today by a long way.

2) From what I heard today about Gibbos desire to play after not training at all all week means the he gets a bit of pass for me, it showed in how he played that he wasn’t at his usual levels. Yet he put the effort in despite clearly not being anywhere near fit, you could argue the gamble paid off as he was involved in the first goal, and despite that Mansfield still didn’t create much against him on his side.

3) Says it all that they’d rather play him over Kennedy. Worrall has a really bad first half too, as did Joyce. Was it the system as Askey maybe suggests it was?

1) What did he do so wrong, played a few good balls.

2) Fair enough.

3) I don't think Joyce and Taylor quite knew what they were doing in 442. Sometimes both were upfield leaving us short at the back. Sometimes they were both back leaving us with nothing in CM. It was not a very well drilled performance. Lot's of players shouting at eachother. 

And Bennett is not a wide man. Sorry. He has none of the attributes to play there. And all he did when he came on was get booked. Lloyd was doing better 😉

Talk about get out of jail!

Had us down to lose this one so I’m more than happy with a point. Mansfield, on paper, looked way too strong, but I thought we battled away against a technically better team who ended up being outdone by their own time wasting tactics.  The ref was toss and they played him like a fiddle.  Isn’t kicking the ball away a bookable offence any more??

Pope and Cullen could form a decent partnership, but not with that midfield. Bennett should have been brought on sooner, probably when Montano was injured instead of Lloyd.

Mansfield didn’t look great at the back but we didn’t have enough of a threat from the flanks to profit. Without Amoo there’s no pace going forward..

Overall, without our first choice 11 players available, it’s a point gained rather than 2 lost and the unbeaten home record is still intact.

One last point, and I don’t know if anyone else noticed this, was that at one period during the second half the singing and noise level from the Railway really cranked up a notch, with the fans in the other home stands responding.  This seemed quite spontaneous, and, from where I sit in the Bycars, was really noticeable. It’d be great if we could get this going at future home games. 👍

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

1) What did he do so wrong, played a few good balls.

2) Fair enough.

3) I don't think Joyce and Taylor quite knew what they were doing in 442. Sometimes both were upfield leaving us short at the back. Sometimes they were both back leaving us with nothing in CM. It was not a very well drilled performance. Lot's of players shouting at eachother. 

And Bennett is not a wide man. Sorry. He has none of the attributes to play there. And all he did when he came on was get booked. Lloyd was doing better 😉

I thought Lloyd looked totally off it in terms of his speed, strength and overall desire. I really thought that he looked like a player just going through the motions at times. They wanted it more, they beat him easily, They out muscled him easily, they took the ball off him too easily,  he offered Crooks no protection and he offered us no attacking purpose either. Some of his passing, especially the simple stuff, was awful. He was having one of the those games where passes were going under his feet, he was under hitting them, not finding the man..... At times it was men against boys and he looked lost to me, out of his depth in all aspects of playing a team like Mansfield in league two football. It was embarassing.

I agree with you on Bennet, he’s no winger. But I can understand him coming on for Lloyd who was giving us nothing in that second half especially. 

I have to credit the desire of the players in keeping going against a number of poor decisions. We obviously miss our flair players Amoo, Manny, Montano, Archer etc but if we’d of taken four of our best players from last season’s team we’d of lost that 0-3 so at least we are progressing.

I can agree with a lot of whats been said in this thread, I would add Cullen had a good first half but I was very disappointed with him in the second half being caught out off side a number of times once by ten yards ! There was a real avenue to exploit against two slow centre halves . Anybody with a bit of pace down the centre will cause all sorts of problems for them. We were deffo off the pace today hit by injuries a very poor ref but we still got a point , so we are showing some fight and determination so for me happy we got a point .  

9 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I have to credit the desire of the players in keeping going against a number of poor decisions. We obviously miss our flair players Amoo, Manny, Montano, Archer etc but if we’d of taken four of our best players from last season’s team we’d of lost that 0-3 so at least we are progressing.

Definitely would have rolled over last season. The defence stood up well, especially early second half. Smith had an excellent game.

I felt sorry for Taylor, in only his second start, to be exposed in a two man midfield.

It's great to have a point, especially after the dive penalty. Dreadful decision.

That fighting spirit is good to see, we need some of our better players back though.

Archived