onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town.

Fosse69

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

With the injuries we're having I think it's clear that we needed an extra proven midfield player rather than all these wingers/forwards.

Oyeleke's absence can't be covered adequately and when he's out we are much worse in midfield. And yet we've often got 2-3 forwards sitting on the bench, plus the three we start with.

There's an imbalance. But it's too late to remedy it now.

One of the reasons why we don't play two strikers at home is because the two central midfield men, plus two wingers, are not collectively good enough when we don't have the ball. So we look stuck playing with a lone striker at present which goes some way to explaining why we don't often score more than a solitary goal.

From memory, in the late sixties, I think we once scored 4 goals in 4 successive home games. Wouldn't that be nice?!

If Manny's injury record doesn't improve he will struggle to get a contract next year in my opinion.  We can't afford to carry passengers who will miss half the games.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If Manny's injury record doesn't improve he will struggle to get a contract next year in my opinion.  We can't afford to carry passengers who will miss half the games

I thought he signed a two year contract in the summer.

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If Manny's injury record doesn't improve he will struggle to get a contract next year in my opinion.  We can't afford to carry passengers who will miss half the games.

He’s on a two year deal though.......

Its very frustrating- Askey said in his press conference if he doesn’t make it next week, then something is very wrong. Sounds a little worrying. 

I hoped (and I think we all did) that Mannys injury record last season was down to a stop start preseason. Maybe that wasn’t the case at all and he’s just one of those players who can’t stay fit for any decent length of time. I agree with Jacko, if he can’t stay fit then we need to be looking at other options when the window opens because at the moment it looks like we can’t rely on him.

Manny's injury record has been an issue since he arrived. This is why I've posted many times we needed an alternative to him in JA's system and feel we are lacking a ball player in our squad who can play as a 10.We need someone who can get on the ball and protect it when are under a bit of pressure. 

Today will be interesting with injuries in the squad to see how we line-up. I think we could see a tweak to our system with Cullen coming into the line-up to play closer to Bennett. If I remember Mansfield from last season they have a full back who is very good going forward but not great defending so this well be a key matchup .I expect Worrall to play out there. I wouldn't risk Amoo  we will need him - its a long season. 

I think Mansfield are there for the taking - they have good players at this level but reading the managers comments it sounds like they are struggling with confidence and form. If we can start well and get an early goal I fancy our chances to put 3-4 goals past them.

1 minute ago, CAVALIER said:

It's why some of us were championing another midfielder pre season including maybe Grant.

I got the impression that there were many calling for more midfield strength.

Even with Manny, it looked desirable.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Manny's injury record has been an issue since he arrived. This is why I've posted many times we needed an alternative to him in JA's system and feel we are lacking a ball player in our squad who can play as a 10.We need someone who can get on the ball and protect it when are under a bit of pressure. 

Today will be interesting with injuries in the squad to see how we line-up. I think we could see a tweak to our system with Cullen coming into the line-up to play closer to Bennett. If I remember Mansfield from last season they have a full back who is very good going forward but not great defending so this well be a key matchup .I expect Worrall to play out there. I wouldn't risk Amoo  we will need him - its a long season. 

I think Mansfield are there for the taking - they have good players at this level but reading the managers comments it sounds like they are struggling with confidence and form. If we can start well and get an early goal I fancy our chances to put 3-4 goals past them.

I think you may be right with the team today and injuries may well force us in to going that way, especially if Browne, Amoo, manny and possibly gibbons are all missing. 

Durrell still available but may need to get up to speed with no pre season.
Last week showed that we are still struggling to fill the bench with any quality.

Any team in the league would struggle with the amount of injuries we have at the moment. If anything last Saturday proved we do have a decent bench when all are available.

We've been unlucky with injuries. I can't ever remember us having to make 3 subs in the first 35 minutes of a game.

However, I've said numerous times that I thought we lacked a midfield player or two and have overloaded the squad with strikers and wingers. I can't understand why we've done it as most games we play we've got 2-3 decent strikers on the bench yet no proper replacement for Oyeleke or a natural scoring number ten.

That said, it's just been bad luck that Gibbons and his replacement were injured at the same time, although we do seem to pick up hamstring problems that can be long term.

The other problem is that if you don't play a reserve game weekly then players struggle to get up to speed if they've been on the bench for weeks on end, not playing.

I guess these are the problems facing all league one clubs but we've been hit particularly hard in the past fortnight. Let's hope a few of them are back today.

Archived