onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town.

Fosse69

Advert

20 hours ago, mattpvfc said:

What's Pope done wrong anything or is it just swapping it about

Just think we look a better side with him on the bench personally. Thought it for most of last season as well. The issue when he plays is we seem to be extremely one dimensional and just leather it up to him. Personally happy with Bennett to keep starting and use pope as in impact sub

23 hours ago, davehartshill said:

Pope has done nothing wrong he’s just slightly behind a more mobile, quicker striker that has scored a few goals so far this season. I’m pretty sure Pope will get a chance sooner or later and I hope he takes it. I’d quite like to see him and Bennett play together as it would really give teams something to think about. I can’t see us switching to 442, though. 

Hopefully we have Gibbons, Manny and Amoo back for Saturday!

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Montano dropped as he was a total passenger for most of the Newport, Plymouth and Exeter games. 

Montano a passenger at the Plymouth game ? What game did I see then?

13 minutes ago, valeblue said:

Montano a passenger at the Plymouth game ? What game did I see then?

The one where he had one reasonably good half of football out of the 3 games I mentioned. I did also use the phrase “most of”...

Don’t get me wrong I think he is a reasonably talented player, I just think he’s a bit guilty of being lazy and not always giving it his all. 

Monty has tremendous skill and ability but frustrates because sometimes his final ball lacks quality and he can disappear during games.

The inconsistency is precisely why Alf Ramsey played without traditional wingers in the 1966 World Cup campaign despite having a number of good ones at his disposal.

Monty should play against Mansfield.

13 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Monty has tremendous skill and ability but frustrates because sometimes his final ball lacks quality and he can disappear during games.

The inconsistency is precisely why Alf Ramsey played without traditional wingers in the 1966 World Cup campaign despite having a number of good ones at his disposal.

Monty should play against Mansfield.

Yeah I agree. He's capable of mind blowing skill, and total <not so good>. But he doesn't lack effort for me. Just the way he is. At the moment he is an automatic pick for me. Along with Brown, Gibbo, Smithy, Legge, Worrall, Amoo, Manny when fit.

My worry with Bennett as the focal point for our attack is that he doesn't hold up the ball as efficiently as Pope and we don't retain possession as well. The ball comes back too often. He needs to be stronger and more physical. I quite like Bennett and recognise his contribution to the team but we do need a target man who can retain the ball and is very physical. I'm yet to be convinced that Bennett can do this.

It might be interesting to ponder playing both together (no, I know it won't happen). If we could get crosses into the box with those two on the end of them then we'd have a real aerial threat.

It's odd how most of us assumed that Pope would start every game along with Cullen who looked better than Bennett in pre-season, yet neither of them can get in at the moment.

52 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Yeah I agree. He's capable of mind blowing skill, and total <not so good>. But he doesn't lack effort for me. Just the way he is. At the moment he is an automatic pick for me. Along with Brown, Gibbo, Smithy, Legge, Worrall, Amoo, Manny when fit.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Manny is fit, because in preseason and those early league games we started games with Worrall on the right and Amoo on the left. For me Worrall is the best fit on the right with Gibbo (when Manny is fit of course). But Monty playing well is a good headache for the manager to have.

31 minutes ago, TheSage said:

My worry with Bennett as the focal point for our attack is that he doesn't hold up the ball as efficiently as Pope and we don't retain possession as well. The ball comes back too often. He needs to be stronger and more physical. I quite like Bennett and recognise his contribution to the team but we do need a target man who can retain the ball and is very physical. I'm yet to be convinced that Bennett can do this.

It might be interesting to ponder playing both together (no, I know it won't happen). If we could get crosses into the box with those two on the end of them then we'd have a real aerial threat.

It's odd how most of us assumed that Pope would start every game along with Cullen who looked better than Bennett in pre-season, yet neither of them can get in at the moment.

I think in the 3 away games that bennet has started (Grimsby, Newport and Exeter) we’ve really struggled to get out be effective through the centre or into the box  because Bennet is just not as good at receiving the ball under pressure, bringing other players, holding it, buying us seconds on the ball and also attacking balls in to the box as well. Yes it’s worked at home but I think we need to rethink away when more often than not the home team will be in the ascendency. 

At home there is very good morale around the place ,I noticed that last week a togetherness to win games and no lack of encouragement  from the Vale  faithful.

So let’s hope we don’t have to use players who are not up to the job and get the better players back on the pitch .

Tough game made tougher by the fact Mansfield have just lost heavily on there own patch .

So they will be smarting.

Team well who’s fit and raring go .

Hopefully Gibbons if no one else and be nice have Amoo back and Oyeleke who is no use to us injured we need him in every game .

Id give Pope and Cullen a shirt also as we should be up and at them from the start not one up top and hope Worrall and Montano are at full pelt all the time .

So I’d go with 

Brown 

Gibbons Smith Legge Montano     

Worrall Joyce Oyeleke Amoo

Pope Cullen (or Bennett Cullen or Pope Bennett not really fussed just feel we need to be going for it straight from kick off .

I like Crookes he did ok v Plymouth but not so well v Exeter So I’d take him out the firing line in this must win game .

Folk may laugh at that comment but the way we going we going need win every home game to stayin the league as away we are losing all the time .

UTV 

Amoo & Gibbo are hopefuls to be back, Manny/Evans/Conlon still out for a few weeks (Manny training at St. George's this week too). If the former 2 make it back, I'd say this is a likely team (give or take), & one I'd definitely go with:

---------------Brown---------------

-Gibbo-Smith-Legge-Crookes-

------Worrall-Joyce-Taylor------

---Amoo----Bennett----Monty---

Subs: Maddison, Browne, Archer, Cullen, Pope, Lloyd, Brisley.

Not bad either.

54 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Folk may laugh at that comment but the way we going we going need win every home game to stayin the league as away we are losing all the time

Well 67 home points having already drawn once would put us in the play offs not guarantee survival !!! 

In fairness we've lost 3 of 5 away and 2 of those were against the teams top and second at the time so would judge the away form after the next few weeks when we have to go places like Orient and Macclesfield for example. Personally think Bennett and Monty struggled away so far in general so might be worth Pope away from home to hold it up better.

Archived