onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town.

Fosse69

Back home to Fortress Vale Park and a return to winning ways. Hoping for good news from the treatment room, especially with Gibbons easing his back problem by avoiding the long bus journey to Devon and return. Amoo is a return  possibility too. Mansfield`s hopes have not yet materialized, their 4  goal hammering last night when reduced to 10 men, (Preston red for a foul on Hannant ) may have an uncertain response. In our own hands by ensuring more chances land in the net, get in there Vale.

Advert

42 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Back home to Fortress Vale Park and a return to winning ways. Hoping for good news from the treatment room, especially with Gibbons easing his back problem by avoiding the long bus journey to Devon and return. Amoo is a return  possibility too. Mansfield`s hopes have not yet materialized, their 4  goal hammering last night when reduced to 10 men, (Preston red for a foul on Hannant ) may have an uncertain response. In our own hands by ensuring more chances land in the net, get in there Vale.

Thought Gibbo injured his back in the warm up so would have been in Exeter.

hopefully will be back for Saturday also maybe Conlon, manny was in training last week so maybe, just maybe.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

You may well be right about his back.

Gibbo wasn't even named in the 18 an hour before kick off which would be before the warm up took place? Im sure I read he did it on Saturday. (obviously couldn't be replaced)

Be a tough game, Mansfield have had a dire start and a few injury issues themselves. Hopefully the manager remains for this one!

Should be looking to win this though, at least them being down to ten men meant they had a hard workout too so fatigue shouldnt be an issue for us.

Yeah definitely should be looking to win this given their position & situation, can't imagine their manager will be around for much longer but at the very least he should stay for Saturday!

It would be nice to win a game by more than one goal too, which we haven't done since 12th March.

Pope has done nothing wrong he’s just slightly behind a more mobile, quicker striker that has scored a few goals so far this season. I’m pretty sure Pope will get a chance sooner or later and I hope he takes it. I’d quite like to see him and Bennett play together as it would really give teams something to think about. I can’t see us switching to 442, though. 

Hopefully we have Gibbons, Manny and Amoo back for Saturday!

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Montano dropped as he was a total passenger for most of the Newport, Plymouth and Exeter games. 

It's interesting, I see a lot of people on here & FB criticizing Bennett despite his clear contribution so far, as well as the '1 up front' (which is really kind of a front 3), & saying we should just start Pope (sometimes + Cullen). Pope has done very little so far aside from a decent pen at Colchester, & during the time I've seen him on, he's been far less effective than Bennett for most of that.

I'm aware he's a legend & has given us lots of great memories, as well as some important goals keeping us up in the last few years, but at some point he's going to have to give way for new blood, & isn't looking the part at all this season really. There don't seem to be any calls to see Bennett & Cullen as a 2, or both them as part of a 3 up front though?

If anything, I'd much rather stay as we are with Bennett which has been fine at home, or bring Cullen on next to him/& another. Pope on his own up has contributed 0 goals from open play & 0 assists thus far (despite all of his apparently better 'hold up play'), whereas Bennett & Cullen have both given us some of those. Pope also has more appearances than Bennett & a similar amount of minutes on the pitch too.

The lack of faith in Askey & calls to revert to our older players is alarming, especially when our record at home is DWWW.

1 hour ago, davehartshill said:

Pope has done nothing wrong he’s just slightly behind a more mobile, quicker striker that has scored a few goals so far this season. I’m pretty sure Pope will get a chance sooner or later and I hope he takes it. I’d quite like to see him and Bennett play together as it would really give teams something to think about. I can’t see us switching to 442, though. 

Hopefully we have Gibbons, Manny and Amoo back for Saturday!

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Montano dropped as he was a total passenger for most of the Newport, Plymouth and Exeter games. 

Are you taking the piss montano was one of the best players on saturday.

Everytime Pope comes off the bench we seem to concede a goal.... I'd stick with Bennett up top. Exeter are a good side and we can't expect to beat everyone particularly with a weaker side. Montano had a good game against Plymouth albeit missed a chance but still very lively and caused problems so I can't see him being dropped. Also can't understand the obsession with the prehistoric 4 4 2. 4 3 3 suits us much better and doesn't allow our midfield to be overun. 

For Mansfield Id go Brown, Gibbo, Smith, Legge, Crookes. Joyce, Worrall, Conlon if he's fit if not Taylor. Monty, Bennett, Amoo

Archived