Fosse69

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

18 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Inspite of missing a number of first choice players it still took a good piece of skill to lead to their goal, perhaps Brown could have done better with the shot, but once Vale were one down the game opened up as Vale pressed forward and they scored again. What was your take.

I agree with you but once they made the subs it was all them so if it wasn't that moment of skill a goal may have come from elsewhere

Can’t complain too much because of the patched up side and effort put in Saturday.

That said, this habit of conceding late on is really infuriating. Plus, people moan about the quick turnaround, but it’s the same for all teams. Plymouth have had another away day but still got something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

I agree with you but once they made the subs it was all them so if it wasn't that moment of skill a goal may have come from elsewhere

According to Askey they tend to score goals late on, best time less time for a reply, At present we do not have the luxury of a couple of quality quick forwards to bring on, hopefully our injury problems will diminish. 

• Like 1

I thought we largely did about as well as expected tonight against one of the top two or three sides in the league. Let's not forget we were without our two best players, Oyeleke and Amoo, and also Gibbons, who has been excellent this season so far. Take two or three of your best players away from any side in this league and it will make a massive difference. With those three in the 11 I genuinely think we would have got something from this game.

Exeter deserved to win but they left the field knowing they've been in a game. Now we must bounce back on Saturday at fortress Vale Park against Mansfield.

Edited by TylerB

Can't abide the Radio Stoke commentary so opted to follow it on the BBC text on their website. Was 50/50 whether to go but getting up at 5-30 am for work won the day luckily.

I can't comment as much as most of you due to not listening or watching. But once the team and subs bench were announced it was clearly going to be a difficult night. Don't think there was a single player available in the squad for the last sub position hence Pugh dragged out of retirement. 

Seems like we battled hard and gave it our all, can't knock that. We can beat Mansfield on Saturday who are a complete shambles.

After that we have more favourable fixtures but we must be wary of thinking they are easy, think it was last December we had the likes of Macc, Oldham, Grimsby, Cheltenham , Morecambe and had a car crash of a month. 

3-3-3 is a fair reflection of what we are. Up and down team and a bit frustrating but that is football. 

I thought we did okay considering it was a patched up team. We defended well until the 10 minute spell before the first goal. Feel like if we’d hung on for another few minutes before the goal then we’d have ground out a point. Though We didn’t create enough/anything half decent and we massively missed Amoo’s presence. 

Kennedy did okay at right back. Put a few good balls into the box as well considering he’s a centre back normally. 

Their winger Williams came on and changed the game in their favour. Crookes just couldn’t deal with him well enough. 

Only luck we had was we kept it to 2-0, lucky to be going in at half time level but felt we played reasonably well against a good team. 2nd half there was only one team in it and if it wasn’t for a MOM performance from Brown and an excellent performance from Smith we would have lost 4 or 5. Even before the subs they were ripping us apart down both flanks and putting some excellent balls in to the box. Askey’s subs came too late IMO, Bennett had a shocker and should have gone off at half time, Pope won more headers in 3 minutes of coming on than Bennett did in over 70 and I couldn’t see why Lloyd came on on for Browne, didn’t see any sort of injury. Special mention for the ref who had a really good game, refreshing because there has been some awful refs I’ve seen lately. Mansfield should be an easier game so bounce back quickly hopefully.

Edited by philpvfc

Saw the team we put out and thought a 0-0 would have been a great result, but unfortunately couldn’t hold on . I am sure with a fully fit team we could have got a result, but with four first teamers out it was always a big ask. Wonder if JA will try to add to the team, on the basis that Pugh had to go on the bench ( Durrell ?) Faceache went into meltdown with this result, usual so called fans who only post when we lose, seems always to be the same people, and I hear Carl had his usual moan on on p&g. So not a great night but under the circumstances, a tad expected if I’m honest.

Spare a thought for the guy sitting next to me who rode down to Exeter on a scooter, avoiding motorways, and is expecting to get back around 2pm this afternoon.

31 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Spare a thought for the guy sitting next to me who rode down to Exeter on a scooter, avoiding motorways, and is expecting to get back around 2pm this afternoon.

That is what you call dedication or stupidity 😉 or both !! 

2 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

Vale were <ovf censored> , and Exeter weren’t much better. 

Another way of saying that is with a very depleted squad we reduced the unbeaten league leaders into looking only slightly better than <ovf censored>

thays a game we wouldn’t have been anywhere near last year... this squad and it’s performances are far far better than last year. Slow and steady improvement!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Only luck we had was we kept it to 2-0, lucky to be going in at half time level but felt we played reasonably well against a good team. 2nd half there was only one team in it and if it wasn’t for a MOM performance from Brown and an excellent performance from Smith we would have lost 4 or 5. Even before the subs they were ripping us apart down both flanks and putting some excellent balls in to the box. Askey’s subs came too late IMO, Bennett had a shocker and should have gone off at half time, Pope won more headers in 3 minutes of coming on than Bennett did in over 70 and I couldn’t see why Lloyd came on on for Browne, didn’t see any sort of injury. Special mention for the ref who had a really good game, refreshing because there has been some awful refs I’ve seen lately. Mansfield should be an easier game so bounce back quickly hopefully.

When Lloyd came on it was like playing with 10 men.

Left the left side open and allowed their player to run at our deference to score instead of tracking back.

With Cullen on the bench no brainier to bring on Lloyd for Browne.

The left hand side is weak and teams concentrate on playing the ball down our left.

Cullen showed that he is good enough to be in the team especially with our injuries.

Pope for Bennett on Saturday for me.

Come on Ernie you have to rise above it one day. Why have a pop at Ryan Lloyd again, Browne has been out for ages and was probably blowing out of his backside.

Lloyd was brought on for fresh legs, or would you of preferred Danny Pugh to of come on ? The squad is down to the absolute bare bones. Oyeleke and Amoo are nailoed on starters and are injured. 

Also Conlon and Gibbons have played every game. We were bound to struggle and would of had a difficult game even at full strength.

Kennedy must be on for some kind of record, first two games two own goals? The most in a season is 5, but in a row I can't seem to find any information on.

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

When Lloyd came on it was like playing with 10 men.

Left the left side open and allowed their player to run at our deference to score instead of tracking back.

With Cullen on the bench no brainier to bring on Lloyd for Browne.

The left hand side is weak and teams concentrate on playing the ball down our left.

Cullen showed that he is good enough to be in the team especially with our injuries.

Pope for Bennett on Saturday for me.

No chance. They took Bennett off and Pope ends up having the easiest chance of the game with a header...nodding it wide and not even making proper contact with the ball with his head. This suggests to me a lack of confidence on Pope's part or at worst complete lack of focus on his game...hope it's not the latter

Do you realise there is a reason he was dropped. Stick with Bennett and play ball to feet is the way to go. One goal from Bennett will energise him and we will soon see the full force that he is capable of

• Like 3

Shame about the result. But realistically we were never going to get more than a point last night with quite a few key players out. Missing the likes of manny, amoo and gibbons is going to hurt any league 2 side. Still think we look a decent outfit with a very good manager. Think we will be in and around the play offs if we can get/keep our key men fit. 

Wouldnt drop bennet for pope either, looks more mobile and we play better football with him in the side. Pope to be used like yesterday for me. Would like to see Cullen more involved as he is proven at this level. Bit worried about Kennedy and Lloyd neither seem to have impressed so far but I guess normally they wouldn’t be on the pitch / bench. 

Onto the next one think we will do then on Saturday. 

• Like 3

Looked good for a point for the most part. The subs changed it for them, and they pushed on.

Yes we didn't look much like winning it but we defended well and restricted them to few chances up until about 70 minutes. We'd lost the right side of our team and had a player making his 1st professional start against the league leaders away from home. We were up against it from the start.

I've seen a few people on social media venting their frustration at our inability to win away games (Some even saying Aspin had us playing better away from home). If they're saying that then I would suggest they haven't watched us much so far. We're playing better than I have seen us play since Page left. The away games I saw last year to this point (Colchester, Carlisle, Tranmere, Forest Green, Crewe) were mainly dreadful, aside from the Crewe game that we looked a decent side (Obviously that didn't last). I would say that we look much better than last year (Apart from the Grimsby game). We keep the ball better, create better chances and we're less reliant on the lone striker because he's been getting support. We've lost to decent teams so far, beaten the ones we should have and maybe Plymouth on top of that. Overall, we're doing better than I thought we would, and I thought we would finish comfortably in mid-table. I'm not too concerned about losses to top sides away from home.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stupers said:

Looked good for a point for the most part. The subs changed it for them, and they pushed on.

Yes we didn't look much like winning it but we defended well and restricted them to few chances up until about 70 minutes. We'd lost the right side of our team and had a player making his 1st professional start against the league leaders away from home. We were up against it from the start.

I've seen a few people on social media venting their frustration at our inability to win away games (Some even saying Aspin had us playing better away from home). If they're saying that then I would suggest they haven't watched us much so far. We're playing better than I have seen us play since Page left. The away games I saw last year to this point (Colchester, Carlisle, Tranmere, Forest Green, Crewe) were mainly dreadful, aside from the Crewe game that we looked a decent side (Obviously that didn't last). I would say that we look much better than last year (Apart from the Grimsby game). We keep the ball better, create better chances and we're less reliant on the lone striker because he's been getting support. We've lost to decent teams so far, beaten the ones we should have and maybe Plymouth on top of that. Overall, we're doing better than I thought we would, and I thought we would finish comfortably in mid-table. I'm not too concerned about losses to top sides away from home.

Steady....that's too close to the truth for comfort! I watch on iFollow from abroad and I see what you see but there again I'm a happy clapper!

• Like 1