onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Time will tell... Aspo was stuck with the former owner. Not making any great point just, I'm in the middle. It was definitely time for Aspo to go. He was a beaten man. But we currently have less points than this time last season. So Askey is not some kind of Messiah. So far. Hope it works out. Personally I'm not convinced. 
This is not an anyone in anyone out thing. Just my perception of things. JA and the lads get my 100% support. 

Agree with that aspin must have been worn down with off field crap like players signed let go without knowledge so wont judge him ..Askey has a chance to clear the garden and replant in his own style but will take more than this year to flourish.

Advert

29 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Askey is now working under far better circumstances than most before.  I would expect significant improvement.

I think we are moving forward, it's not leaps and bounds but it is tangible.

The alarming aspect is the away form.  This is putting pressure on our home form and if that weighs too heavy we may find ourselves looking down again.  Askey must make getting points away from home a priority and we must start to set up to beat teams.

Scary thing isn't it. We are all (mostly) singing from the same song sheet. Must drive admin mad. We need to set up harder to beat away from home at this point in time. IMO.

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I think we need Pope away from home if we are going to co to us with 4-3-3/4-5-1. Bennett doesn’t win headers and doesn’t hold up the ball. He is quicker than Popey (but so am I). We haven’t lost away when Popey has started!!

Amazing how every time Pope is dropped/injured the team has a miraculous recovery in way of results

8 hours ago, toyahw said:

Time will tell... Aspo was stuck with the former owner. Not making any great point just, I'm in the middle. It was definitely time for Aspo to go. He was a beaten man. But we currently have less points than this time last season. So Askey is not some kind of Messiah. So far. Hope it works out. Personally I'm not convinced. 

This is not an anyone in anyone out thing. Just my perception of things. JA and the lads get my 100% support. 

From what I have heard Aspin relied heavily on Brabin... there was an obvious downturn in form after he left.

I have also heard Aspin spent a lot of time “hiding” in his office.

In my opinion, Askey is, and will prove to be, a better manager. 

I do however agree that Aspin was hamstrung by working for our indefensible disgrace of an owner (although some tried... not to be forgotten)

13 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

From what I have heard Aspin relied heavily on Brabin... there was an obvious downturn in form after he left.

I have also heard Aspin spent a lot of time “hiding” in his office.

In my opinion, Askey is, and will prove to be, a better manager. 

I do however agree that Aspin was hamstrung by working for our indefensible disgrace of an owner (although some tried... not to be forgotten)

There were clearly things very wrong behind the scenes particularly towards the end of his reign. And of course I wish JA all the best and hope he turns out to be the next JR.

Things in football are very rarely black and white, if you excuse the unintended pun.

If Aspo did one thing I'll give you signing Scott Brown, without whom we would for sure be a non-league outfit now. So thanks Aspo for that, now we move on. Hopefully.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I think we need Pope away from home if we are going to co to us with 4-3-3/4-5-1. Bennett doesn’t win headers and doesn’t hold up the ball. He is quicker than Popey (but so am I). We haven’t lost away when Popey has started!!

Tend to agree with this to some degree, OK we had a scratch team out on Tuesday but the ball just never stuck up top and this meant that our back four were under needless pressure at times. This was really apparent on numerous throw-ins where we turned the ball over when aiming for Bennett down the touch line and gifted the ball back to the opposition.

On the flip side Bennett has looked decent in most games and has scored goals whilst Tom did his own cause no favours in the Shrewsbury game.

It’s still early days but Arthur probably does need have a rethink away from home now. There’s no harm in trying Pope as the away results can’t be much worse.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Might be an idea to actually read what I posted before making statements like that. 

Jacko, I feel your frustration. The game is all about opinions, however if it doesn’t conform with others, this is the response you’ll get. I praised the team after the Plymouth victory but doubted a certain players ability. I was slated up hill and down dale. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s worth the aggravation. 

32 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

I did read...Whether Vale are playing away or at Home shouldn't make any difference...The Pope style of play doesn't work anymore. So my statement stands

“The Pope style of play” is a complete misnomer. Askey picks the team and largely dictates the style of play.  If the intention is to play mainly into feet, or chest, then it shouldn’t matter who plays up front, it’s down to whoever is playing the ball to provide the right type of pass into the frontman.

We didn’t play much into Bennett’s feet on Tuesday.

When defending under pressure players will understandably clear the ball long rather than play a more deliberate pass out. This is when your forward player(s) need to win and hold the ball up to prevent it coming straight back.  What Jean is alluding to is that Pope is more able to do this than any of the other forwards.  Equally, as we now have some pace on the flanks, Pope is better equipped to win the flick ons for these quicker forwards to run on to.

I’d suggest that away from home, certainly against the better teams when we would normally expect to be under more pressure, Pope could provide a better outlet than Bennett.

This discussion will hopefully prove to be irrelevant once Archer is fit, as it’d be great if he could provide a combination of power and pace above that of the two players we’ve mentioned.

17 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Askey is now working under far better circumstances than most before.  I would expect significant improvement.

I think we are moving forward, it's not leaps and bounds but it is tangible.

The alarming aspect is the away form.  This is putting pressure on our home form and if that weighs too heavy we may find ourselves looking down again.  Askey must make getting points away from home a priority and we must start to set up to beat teams.

Not an excuse this isn't but of our 5 away games we have had 4 of the fancied sides. Granted it turns out Salford are pretty average at best.

I'm not sure how many points fans expected from 

Colchester Salford Grimsby Newport Exeter.

I'd of expected 4 as a maximum. Sadly we have lost our last 3 aways.

If we lose our next 2 at Orient and Macc i will be concerned but that is a hard start away from home.

Archived