onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

Vale were <ovf censored> , and Exeter weren’t much better. 

Another way of saying that is with a very depleted squad we reduced the unbeaten league leaders into looking only slightly better than <ovf censored>

thays a game we wouldn’t have been anywhere near last year... this squad and it’s performances are far far better than last year. Slow and steady improvement!

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Only luck we had was we kept it to 2-0, lucky to be going in at half time level but felt we played reasonably well against a good team. 2nd half there was only one team in it and if it wasn’t for a MOM performance from Brown and an excellent performance from Smith we would have lost 4 or 5. Even before the subs they were ripping us apart down both flanks and putting some excellent balls in to the box. Askey’s subs came too late IMO, Bennett had a shocker and should have gone off at half time, Pope won more headers in 3 minutes of coming on than Bennett did in over 70 and I couldn’t see why Lloyd came on on for Browne, didn’t see any sort of injury. Special mention for the ref who had a really good game, refreshing because there has been some awful refs I’ve seen lately. Mansfield should be an easier game so bounce back quickly hopefully.

When Lloyd came on it was like playing with 10 men.

Left the left side open and allowed their player to run at our deference to score instead of tracking back.

With Cullen on the bench no brainier to bring on Lloyd for Browne.

The left hand side is weak and teams concentrate on playing the ball down our left.

Cullen showed that he is good enough to be in the team especially with our injuries.

Pope for Bennett on Saturday for me.

Come on Ernie you have to rise above it one day. Why have a pop at Ryan Lloyd again, Browne has been out for ages and was probably blowing out of his backside.

Lloyd was brought on for fresh legs, or would you of preferred Danny Pugh to of come on ? The squad is down to the absolute bare bones. Oyeleke and Amoo are nailoed on starters and are injured. 

Also Conlon and Gibbons have played every game. We were bound to struggle and would of had a difficult game even at full strength.

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

When Lloyd came on it was like playing with 10 men.

Left the left side open and allowed their player to run at our deference to score instead of tracking back.

With Cullen on the bench no brainier to bring on Lloyd for Browne.

The left hand side is weak and teams concentrate on playing the ball down our left.

Cullen showed that he is good enough to be in the team especially with our injuries.

Pope for Bennett on Saturday for me.

No chance. They took Bennett off and Pope ends up having the easiest chance of the game with a header...nodding it wide and not even making proper contact with the ball with his head. This suggests to me a lack of confidence on Pope's part or at worst complete lack of focus on his game...hope it's not the latter

Do you realise there is a reason he was dropped. Stick with Bennett and play ball to feet is the way to go. One goal from Bennett will energise him and we will soon see the full force that he is capable of

Shame about the result. But realistically we were never going to get more than a point last night with quite a few key players out. Missing the likes of manny, amoo and gibbons is going to hurt any league 2 side. Still think we look a decent outfit with a very good manager. Think we will be in and around the play offs if we can get/keep our key men fit. 

Wouldnt drop bennet for pope either, looks more mobile and we play better football with him in the side. Pope to be used like yesterday for me. Would like to see Cullen more involved as he is proven at this level. Bit worried about Kennedy and Lloyd neither seem to have impressed so far but I guess normally they wouldn’t be on the pitch / bench. 

Onto the next one think we will do then on Saturday. 

Looked good for a point for the most part. The subs changed it for them, and they pushed on.

Yes we didn't look much like winning it but we defended well and restricted them to few chances up until about 70 minutes. We'd lost the right side of our team and had a player making his 1st professional start against the league leaders away from home. We were up against it from the start.

I've seen a few people on social media venting their frustration at our inability to win away games (Some even saying Aspin had us playing better away from home). If they're saying that then I would suggest they haven't watched us much so far. We're playing better than I have seen us play since Page left. The away games I saw last year to this point (Colchester, Carlisle, Tranmere, Forest Green, Crewe) were mainly dreadful, aside from the Crewe game that we looked a decent side (Obviously that didn't last). I would say that we look much better than last year (Apart from the Grimsby game). We keep the ball better, create better chances and we're less reliant on the lone striker because he's been getting support. We've lost to decent teams so far, beaten the ones we should have and maybe Plymouth on top of that. Overall, we're doing better than I thought we would, and I thought we would finish comfortably in mid-table. I'm not too concerned about losses to top sides away from home.

46 minutes ago, stupers said:

Looked good for a point for the most part. The subs changed it for them, and they pushed on.

Yes we didn't look much like winning it but we defended well and restricted them to few chances up until about 70 minutes. We'd lost the right side of our team and had a player making his 1st professional start against the league leaders away from home. We were up against it from the start.

I've seen a few people on social media venting their frustration at our inability to win away games (Some even saying Aspin had us playing better away from home). If they're saying that then I would suggest they haven't watched us much so far. We're playing better than I have seen us play since Page left. The away games I saw last year to this point (Colchester, Carlisle, Tranmere, Forest Green, Crewe) were mainly dreadful, aside from the Crewe game that we looked a decent side (Obviously that didn't last). I would say that we look much better than last year (Apart from the Grimsby game). We keep the ball better, create better chances and we're less reliant on the lone striker because he's been getting support. We've lost to decent teams so far, beaten the ones we should have and maybe Plymouth on top of that. Overall, we're doing better than I thought we would, and I thought we would finish comfortably in mid-table. I'm not too concerned about losses to top sides away from home.

Steady....that's too close to the truth for comfort! I watch on iFollow from abroad and I see what you see but there again I'm a happy clapper!

1 hour ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Steady....that's too close to the truth for comfort! I watch on iFollow from abroad and I see what you see but there again I'm a happy clapper!

Ha, as I'm abroad too maybe that's it. But I was in the UK until December last year so saw the first four months live. Aspin football was not too good, and it showed on the TV when I started watching the games on here. You just couldn't see where a goal was coming from. Now even on Tuesday when we weren't great there were still a few moments where you think 'If only he'd got his boot/head on that properly'. Last year there was none of that, we just weren't creating enough decent chances.

Now we look alright at the back (Not great, but alright). When we go forward we aren't created a boatload of chances, but what we do create has substance to it. As a bit of a numbers man, I've gone and had an in-depth look at the 'Expected Goals' statistic and how it's calculated. Now it is subjective, because there's no clear 100% rule you can have for it, but what it does say is that in a lot of our games this season we've had the better chances. I tend to agree with that. I'm not saying we're brilliant, but we're not crap either. Not being in the stadium and listening to some of the moaners (Who incidentally, will never be happy) allows to be a bit more level headed!

2 hours ago, stupers said:

Good post!

I've watched all the games live or on ifollow (is this second rate?) for two seasons. Is it allowed to be an in-betweeny?  Not a happy clapper or an Ernie? I don't think much has changed to be honest. Aspin was nowhere near as bad as some make out (he kept us up). And Askey hasn't been the Messiah. Look at the stats.

I think Aspin did an okay job under the circs. Askey is doing an okay job. The squad this season is pretty much same level as last. 

Mid table, bring it on. 

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Askey is a better manager than Aspo I think, he is only hamstrung by the mess that our former owner left us in. 

Time will tell... Aspo was stuck with the former owner. Not making any great point just, I'm in the middle. It was definitely time for Aspo to go. He was a beaten man. But we currently have less points than this time last season. So Askey is not some kind of Messiah. So far. Hope it works out. Personally I'm not convinced. 

This is not an anyone in anyone out thing. Just my perception of things. JA and the lads get my 100% support. 

Archived