onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

37 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

In the end though it was more than just a moment of skill that was the difference between us wasn't it?

Inspite of missing a number of first choice players it still took a good piece of skill to lead to their goal, perhaps Brown could have done better with the shot, but once Vale were one down the game opened up as Vale pressed forward and they scored again. What was your take.

Advert

Defended well on the whole, but Exeter’s extra quality and energy proved to be the difference in the end. Plenty of fight from Vale and we made them look average for the best part. 

Only negative for me is going forward, we never worried them. Not once did we look like scoring and we struggled to keep the ball and maintain attacks. Just feel as if we have a lot of workman like players rather than having many technically gifted or exciting ones.

Disappointing but hardly surprising in the circumstances. The right side of our team was severely weakened with no Gibbo powering forward and Browne largely anonymous. We defended like demons for 80 minutes but once they scored we were never going to get it back. Exeter are unbeaten but they were not brilliant, just effective.

I’ve had better nights!

36 minutes ago, MBE said:

Disappointing to loose conceding goals late in the game away from home again...can't help thinking what might have been so far with late goals at Salford,Newport and now Exeter. If we can just cut out these small lapses in concentration...

From the commentary sounded like we gave a good account of ourselves with a patchwork team but just listened to Carl on P&G ...please give your head a wobble. We are a million times better than last season!

Carl likes the sound of his own voice it's an empty vessel makes most noise scenario with him.

18 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Inspite of missing a number of first choice players it still took a good piece of skill to lead to their goal, perhaps Brown could have done better with the shot, but once Vale were one down the game opened up as Vale pressed forward and they scored again. What was your take.

I agree with you but once they made the subs it was all them so if it wasn't that moment of skill a goal may have come from elsewhere

Can’t complain too much because of the patched up side and effort put in Saturday.

That said, this habit of conceding late on is really infuriating. Plus, people moan about the quick turnaround, but it’s the same for all teams. Plymouth have had another away day but still got something.

8 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

I agree with you but once they made the subs it was all them so if it wasn't that moment of skill a goal may have come from elsewhere

According to Askey they tend to score goals late on, best time less time for a reply, At present we do not have the luxury of a couple of quality quick forwards to bring on, hopefully our injury problems will diminish. 

I thought we largely did about as well as expected tonight against one of the top two or three sides in the league. Let's not forget we were without our two best players, Oyeleke and Amoo, and also Gibbons, who has been excellent this season so far. Take two or three of your best players away from any side in this league and it will make a massive difference. With those three in the 11 I genuinely think we would have got something from this game.

Exeter deserved to win but they left the field knowing they've been in a game. Now we must bounce back on Saturday at fortress Vale Park against Mansfield.

Can't abide the Radio Stoke commentary so opted to follow it on the BBC text on their website. Was 50/50 whether to go but getting up at 5-30 am for work won the day luckily.

I can't comment as much as most of you due to not listening or watching. But once the team and subs bench were announced it was clearly going to be a difficult night. Don't think there was a single player available in the squad for the last sub position hence Pugh dragged out of retirement. 

Seems like we battled hard and gave it our all, can't knock that. We can beat Mansfield on Saturday who are a complete shambles.

After that we have more favourable fixtures but we must be wary of thinking they are easy, think it was last December we had the likes of Macc, Oldham, Grimsby, Cheltenham , Morecambe and had a car crash of a month. 

3-3-3 is a fair reflection of what we are. Up and down team and a bit frustrating but that is football. 

I thought we did okay considering it was a patched up team. We defended well until the 10 minute spell before the first goal. Feel like if we’d hung on for another few minutes before the goal then we’d have ground out a point. Though We didn’t create enough/anything half decent and we massively missed Amoo’s presence. 

Kennedy did okay at right back. Put a few good balls into the box as well considering he’s a centre back normally. 

Their winger Williams came on and changed the game in their favour. Crookes just couldn’t deal with him well enough. 

Only luck we had was we kept it to 2-0, lucky to be going in at half time level but felt we played reasonably well against a good team. 2nd half there was only one team in it and if it wasn’t for a MOM performance from Brown and an excellent performance from Smith we would have lost 4 or 5. Even before the subs they were ripping us apart down both flanks and putting some excellent balls in to the box. Askey’s subs came too late IMO, Bennett had a shocker and should have gone off at half time, Pope won more headers in 3 minutes of coming on than Bennett did in over 70 and I couldn’t see why Lloyd came on on for Browne, didn’t see any sort of injury. Special mention for the ref who had a really good game, refreshing because there has been some awful refs I’ve seen lately. Mansfield should be an easier game so bounce back quickly hopefully.

Saw the team we put out and thought a 0-0 would have been a great result, but unfortunately couldn’t hold on . I am sure with a fully fit team we could have got a result, but with four first teamers out it was always a big ask. Wonder if JA will try to add to the team, on the basis that Pugh had to go on the bench ( Durrell ?) Faceache went into meltdown with this result, usual so called fans who only post when we lose, seems always to be the same people, and I hear Carl had his usual moan on on p&g. So not a great night but under the circumstances, a tad expected if I’m honest.

Archived