Fosse69

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Follow that performance with  a long trip to Exeter in mid-week, but what is there to fear? Injuries mounting,  but up to now the bench has provided replacements. Signs of a squad knitting together, playing to a plan and for each other. Players also  keener to hold onto their places in a winning team than when things are not so good. If possible keep the same side and hope that substitutes are for tactical reasons? End of September should give us some idea of our progress, after yesterday it could well be better than what we expected.  However one match at a time our first away win and the Grecians first defeat will keep the smiles on our faces, I am enjoying it.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what side we can put out, as it stands:

Injured Evans, Amoo and Conlon, Archer

Carrying knocks might not play Worrall, Oyeleke

Plus 4 players out on loan.

Might be easy to pick a squad as we may be down to 18 fit players.

This is probably our most tricky looking game so far, and that's before all the injuries. I would be delighted with a point here, and if we play as we did the second half on Saturday, we might get one. 

I would have thought the same side that finished Saturday, I know Worrall had a knock, but he was able to carry on, so should be fit for Tuesday..

17 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

I just hope the usual suspects on here show a bit of restraint if we lose.

Agreed.....Tuesday will be hard after the efforts of Saturday the boys covered some ground covering every blade of grass,Plymouth looked knackered at the end , we dont know who's out injured yet and we dont know who might be carrying a knock, I think a draw would be a brilliant result.

The options for midfield on Tuesday are looking very thin. If Worrall, Conlon, Evans and Manny are still out, it probably leaves us with Lloyd and Burgess, who clearly isn't ready if Arthur's thoughts on sending him out on loan are anything to go by. It did cross my mind though as to whether Kennedy might be pressed into service, so I looked him up on wiki where it says "Kennedy is a right-footed left-sided centre-half, who can also play with his left-foot and at left-back, right-back or as a central defensive midfielder. Port Vale manager John Askey described him as a "footballing centre-half" who combined athletic ability with composure on the ball."

Could be a surprising choice if we're really stuck.

Edited by CambridgeDon

Toughest game of the season so far... due to the opposition, distance to travel mid week and injuries to contend with.

I think this will be a game too far and I’m not holding out much hope of getting anything out of it.

As mentioned by others... that will at least give some of OVFs more negative posters to have a say after yesterday’s brilliant performance!

• Like 1

Very difficult game. That said they have needed last minute goals at home to get a win v Macc and salvage a draw on Saturday against Orient. ( Sign of a good team usually ).

Probably wouldn't of fancied us even at full strength, with the injuries it will be interesting team selection. A free hit in some ways for us with getting the 3 points on Saturday.

Whatever the result things are looking decent. Keep our feet firmly on the ground though because we won 3 of our first 4 League Home games last season too.

Got a sneaking feeling we may go 5 at the back here , 2 games in 4 days is a lot to ask of Browne and Taylor at this stage. 

Everyone is expecting this to be difficult & I don't think anyone would turn down a point even now, but we shouldn't be scared of any team in this league. We've shown we're more than capable of giving teams a game, why not have a go at them since we're already half writing this game off anyway due to the amount of injuries. If we go defensive & let them come at us like Aspin always did, guaranteed we will lose.

Out of their 8 games so far, they've only played 2 teams in the top half, & most of the others are at the bottom of the league too. Every unbeaten run will come to an end at some point.

• Like 1

Under the circumstances a bit of a free hit this one. If we get anything it will be a bonus. Tomo, our away record under Aspin was pretty good. 

Edited by toyahw

Popey has a good scoring record at Exeter scored two crackers in promotion season and got the winner in another game there I seem to recall under Aspin .

Id be tempted go with him and Bennett .

But if all fit you go with the lads who did the business sat .

Ill be in Hungary 🇭🇺 on a short break so will be hoping we get the result that gets folk flocking to Vale Park on sat . 

I think they may do we have enough about us score I feel and we shouldn’t be going there afraid of what they will do to us we should think what we going do to them.

I feel a Montano and Pope goal in this game .

UTV 

51 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Under the circumstances a bit of a free hit this one. If we get anything it will be a bonus. Tomo, our away record under Aspin was pretty good. 

It was ok now & again. When he first arrived that patch between Oct-Dec was great & we played some really good stuff, but after that the away form in the league until he left was L, L, L, L, L, D, D, D, D, D, L, L, L, L, D, W, L, W, D, L, W, D, D, D, W, D. 23 points from 78, & we were dreadful for quite a lot of that (unfortunately I witnessed the majority of those).

But never mind that, agree with it being a free hit, & there's just about enough depth in our squad to cover a decent enough starting 11 for this game (although any more injuries tomorrow & we're struggling). Is Manny ready yet or not? If not, I don't see the point in rushing him back for a game like this, just to get injured again.

I think of the injured players, the only one I can see being a big miss will be Worrall if he isn't fit.

If Worrall can come back, and potentially Manny, there's no reason we can't get a point at least here.

Browne appears a more than adequate replacement for Amoo on Saturdays showing. Lloyd for Evans on the bench and Manny for Conlon, we should be fine.

another tough game but we should be used to them now with the teams we've had to play already, we should go there full of confidence and take Exeter on lets just hope Saturdays efforts won't take its toll on the lads later in the game, fingers crossed for no more injuries

Their manager has turned down an approach from an unnamed team today (I assume Lincoln)... could it be a distraction they didn’t need, could he be negotiating... who knows! 

• Like 1

I’m quite positive about this fixture as most ppl are expecting us to get nothing. I’m sure JA will put out a team that will challenge for everything.

Yes we have injuries but we saw how the players who came on Saturday reacted to getting onto the pitch. I’d have thought that now that they’ve got their chance then they wouldn’t want to lose it to the players coming back from injury. I’m not a fan of one up front but Exeter are top of the league but have only scored 12 goals in 8 league games and have conceded 6, so not free scoring or solid in defence. Let’s just not give them chance to push it around and close them down quickly. Good luck lads