Stoke Speedway

colin

10 hours ago, Warren said:

Not lived in the area since 1987, so not been to speedway since the mid 1980's. At the start of Loomer road I remember Mike Broadbank. He got the reformed team off to a good start with quality riding and leadership as someone who reached the world championship finals a few times. Oh well, sad to hear of the closure, but if it is not being run properly and therefore not entertaining then that's what happens. My favourite rider of all time that I have watched is Ole Olsen.

I remember Mike Broadbanks (he dropped the "s" from his name later in his career for some reason). He always wore red leathers which made him stand out from the other riders. He was a top rider at Swindon alongside Barry Briggs who was world number one at the time.

Ole Olsen is still involved with speedway, he supevises the laying of the temperary track for the GP at Cardiff (among others), every year.

Very sad news about the sudden death of Danny Ayers at 33 years old last week. I met Danny at Sheffield a couple of years ago when he was riding for Glasgow, he came across as a really friendly and enthusiastic guy who always gave 100% on the track! Apparently Danny had his demons and was seeking help for his mental health problems. He will be sadly missed. RIP.

As has been mentioned previously,  speedway is an extremely dangerous sport. One of the most haunting experiences I have ever witnessed was at Newcastle sometime in the 80’s.

The fantastic Joe Owen (brother of ex Stoke captain Tom) had recently been paralysed when riding in a meeting for Ellesmere Port. I was at a meeting ( maybe v Stoke) at Brough Park  when he was a guest at his old Diamonds club and was being interviewed whilst wheelchair bound on the centre green.

Joe (and Tom) was a legend at Newcastle. During the interview Joe broke down in tears and the whole crowd fell deadly silent. Here was a giant of the sport brought to tears. Then you realise what these guys put on the line for our entertainment.

Speedway is a fantastic sport and I never fail to admire the riders for what they do. They deserve all the plaudits they get.

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

As has been mentioned previously,  speedway is an extremely dangerous sport. One of the most haunting experiences I have ever witnessed was at Newcastle sometime in the 80’s.

The fantastic Joe Owen (brother of ex Stoke captain Tom) had recently been paralysed when riding in a meeting for Ellesmere Port. I was at a meeting ( maybe v Stoke) at Brough Park  when he was a guest at his old Diamonds club and was being interviewed whilst wheelchair bound on the centre green.

Joe (and Tom) was a legend at Newcastle. During the interview Joe broke down in tears and the whole crowd fell deadly silent. Here was a giant of the sport brought to tears. Then you realise what these guys put on the line for our entertainment.

Speedway is a fantastic sport and I never fail to admire the riders for what they do. They deserve all the plaudits they get.

You are not joking about the about the danger! A 500cc motorbike with no brakes, running on Methanol, which accelerates faster than an F1 car, with speeds up to 80mph, on a small narrow oval track with three other riders determined to win!  WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG !!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2020 at 16:13, RailwayRowdy said:

Yes, total respect for Joe, Tom and other riders who sustained injuries at speedway and also long track racing which is more popular on the continent. When you think about it a speedway rider usually races 4-5 times per meeting at say 70 seconds per race. But in that short amount of time there is significant danger from crashing in to each other, crashing in to the fence and simply falling off on a rock hard gravel track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

always recall sun street hanley, one wakes week in the early 60s, thousands there and the smell of spent fuel waftiing in the air. the pa system blasting out walking back to happiness then up anley duck for some joules. great days😁

On 23/09/2021 at 17:00, ginge said:

Dave Tattum the ex promoter of Stoke Speedway recently passed away after an illness. He was incredibly passionate about the sport and was incredibly hard working. RIP Dave. 

Good to see that Newcastle Diamonds speedway have some hope after they were going to close down this season. Dave was co promoter there and his death has given Rob Grant (ex potter) and current promoter the motivation to keep it running for now for his memory. Too many clubs are closing down.