onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stoke Speedway

colin

6 hours ago, capirex said:

Love Speedway! I'm a regular at Sheffield.

Hi Capirex ! Great to talk to fellow speedway enthusiasts !

Out of interest, is Owlerton now the fastest track in Britain ?  I was brought up on speedway at the pacey  Earle St circuit in Crewe and my favourite ever rider Phil Crump ! Boy that was a fast track !

Exeter was a fast track (like Crewe) but few away riders could ride either of them due to the steep and intimidating  banking. Imagine lining up at Exeter with home track advantage and looking to your left and seeing Ivan Mauger in red !

Good luck for the new season !

Advert

14 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Hi Capirex ! Great to talk to fellow speedway enthusiasts !

Out of interest, is Owlerton now the fastest track in Britain ?  I was brought up on speedway at the pacey  Earle St circuit in Crewe and my favourite ever rider Phil Crump ! Boy that was a fast track !

Exeter was a fast track (like Crewe) but few away riders could ride either of them due to the steep and intimidating  banking. Imagine lining up at Exeter with home track advantage and looking to your left and seeing Ivan Mauger in red !

Good luck for the new season !

Hi RR, you're right at about Sheffield being the fastest track! The surface did come in for a bit of criticism last season. It was a bit gate and go at times but when it was right their was some terrific racing which I think is always better on a big fast track. The stadium is a great place to watch speedway these days, a lot of money has been spent on improvements recently with more to come. There is a plan to reopen part of the terrace on the back straight that's been closed for years. I used to be a regular at the old Hyde Road track at Belle Vue which for me was the ultimate big, fast wide track. When Ivan Mauger was riding for the Aces he used to win some races by half a lap! What a terrific rider he was! Watching the likes of Soren Sjosten round Hyde Road was amazing. I used do a few meetings at Crewe, Geoff Curtis was the top guy at the time. Sadly he lost his life a couple years later. Do you remember the proposal to run speedway at Valepark in mid sixties? It did seem to be a serious idea at the time. I remember attending a meeting with the interested promoters where they were outlining their plans. I even put my name down as a rider at the proposed training school. They also asked for suggested designs for the race jackets. Sadly it never got beyond this stage as their was a lot of opposition from the locals. I remember people coming round with a petition on the Park Estate where I lived at the time. I think Sheffield have a good chance this season, the promoters have assembled a good team for the first season in the top League for many years. I guess reigning champions Swindon would be favourites but we should make the playoffs!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not lived in the area since 1987, so not been to speedway since the mid 1980's. At the start of Loomer road I remember Mike Broadbank. He got the reformed team off to a good start with quality riding and leadership as someone who reached the world championship finals a few times. Oh well, sad to hear of the closure, but if it is not being run properly and therefore not entertaining then that's what happens. My favourite rider of all time that I have watched is Ole Olsen.

Edited by Warren
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Warren said:

Not lived in the area since 1987, so not been to speedway since the mid 1980's. At the start of Loomer road I remember Mike Broadbank. He got the reformed team off to a good start with quality riding and leadership as someone who reached the world championship finals a few times. Oh well, sad to hear of the closure, but if it is not being run properly and therefore not entertaining then that's what happens. My favourite rider of all time that I have watched is Ole Olsen.

I remember Mike Broadbanks (he dropped the "s" from his name later in his career for some reason). He always wore red leathers which made him stand out from the other riders. He was a top rider at Swindon alongside Barry Briggs who was world number one at the time.

Ole Olsen is still involved with speedway, he supevises the laying of the temperary track for the GP at Cardiff (among others), every year.

Very sad news about the sudden death of Danny Ayers at 33 years old last week. I met Danny at Sheffield a couple of years ago when he was riding for Glasgow, he came across as a really friendly and enthusiastic guy who always gave 100% on the track! Apparently Danny had his demons and was seeking help for his mental health problems. He will be sadly missed. RIP.

As has been mentioned previously,  speedway is an extremely dangerous sport. One of the most haunting experiences I have ever witnessed was at Newcastle sometime in the 80’s.

The fantastic Joe Owen (brother of ex Stoke captain Tom) had recently been paralysed when riding in a meeting for Ellesmere Port. I was at a meeting ( maybe v Stoke) at Brough Park  when he was a guest at his old Diamonds club and was being interviewed whilst wheelchair bound on the centre green.

Joe (and Tom) was a legend at Newcastle. During the interview Joe broke down in tears and the whole crowd fell deadly silent. Here was a giant of the sport brought to tears. Then you realise what these guys put on the line for our entertainment.

Speedway is a fantastic sport and I never fail to admire the riders for what they do. They deserve all the plaudits they get.

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

As has been mentioned previously,  speedway is an extremely dangerous sport. One of the most haunting experiences I have ever witnessed was at Newcastle sometime in the 80’s.

The fantastic Joe Owen (brother of ex Stoke captain Tom) had recently been paralysed when riding in a meeting for Ellesmere Port. I was at a meeting ( maybe v Stoke) at Brough Park  when he was a guest at his old Diamonds club and was being interviewed whilst wheelchair bound on the centre green.

Joe (and Tom) was a legend at Newcastle. During the interview Joe broke down in tears and the whole crowd fell deadly silent. Here was a giant of the sport brought to tears. Then you realise what these guys put on the line for our entertainment.

Speedway is a fantastic sport and I never fail to admire the riders for what they do. They deserve all the plaudits they get.

You are not joking about the about the danger! A 500cc motorbike with no brakes, running on Methanol, which accelerates faster than an F1 car, with speeds up to 80mph, on a small narrow oval track with three other riders determined to win!  WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG !!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2020 at 16:13, RailwayRowdy said:

Yes, total respect for Joe, Tom and other riders who sustained injuries at speedway and also long track racing which is more popular on the continent. When you think about it a speedway rider usually races 4-5 times per meeting at say 70 seconds per race. But in that short amount of time there is significant danger from crashing in to each other, crashing in to the fence and simply falling off on a rock hard gravel track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 23/09/2021 at 17:00, ginge said:

Dave Tattum the ex promoter of Stoke Speedway recently passed away after an illness. He was incredibly passionate about the sport and was incredibly hard working. RIP Dave. 

Good to see that Newcastle Diamonds speedway have some hope after they were going to close down this season. Dave was co promoter there and his death has given Rob Grant (ex potter) and current promoter the motivation to keep it running for now for his memory. Too many clubs are closing down. 

• 4 months later...
On 25/09/2021 at 11:50, Fosse69 said:

Seem to remember Dave Anderson and Gil Blake in the 3rd Division  at Sun Street, would it have been on a Thursday night?  

Used to live 5 mins away from the sun street track went there every saturday night watching Ken Adams , Reg Fearman, Pete Jarman then a young Ivan Mauger turned up for newcastle diamonds and was unbeatable around our track, Remember the night when the special guest at the interval was Pat Pheonix [ elsie tanner] to all corrie fans driving round the track in a big car.I used to have the stoke potters badge with the bars for every new season.At the end of the season the top riders from every club used to go to Belle Vue track for the provincial riders championship remember one year Jack Kitchen won his 5 rides on the night and still did not win the championship because the top four raced off in the final a certain Ivan Mauger won the run off Jack finished second.I also used to go Belle Vue now and again my favorite rider of all time was englands Peter Craven who sadly died young while riding at Edinbough when he crashed in the wall around the track.Those were the days i treasure most watching the vale and speedway while growing up smashing memories never to be forgotten.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sad news in the world of speedway as the voice of speedway (in recent years) has passed away. RIP Nigel Pearson. 

Some of you will know Nigel for his football work on talksport or Darts on Sky Sports. 

All round good guy and respected by his colleagues. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...