onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stoke Speedway

colin

2 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

I used to go and watch the Crewe Kings as a young lad, but the team only lasted from 1969 to 1975, that track was incredibly fast, but it has now been demolished to make way for a retail park….where is Loomer Road?

Loomed Road is in Chesterton.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

I took my eldest son to my sister’s in Congleton on Sunday, and went for a look at the site of the Loomer Road track. I also went for a drive around Burslem and Tunstall, then onto Kidsgrove before heading for Congleton

I dropped them off at Crewe Station yesterday, as they are going to North Wales for a few days, then headed into Crewe. Oh dear! The place is down at heel, I walked around for a couple of hours, visited places I knew from my childhood, (they have renovated the Market Hall, which is now a food and drink outlet) then drove to Newcastle under Lyme to take some of my other son’s stuff back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 12:38, Phil1965 said:

I took my eldest son to my sister’s in Congleton on Sunday, and went for a look at the site of the Loomer Road track. I also went for a drive around Burslem and Tunstall, then onto Kidsgrove before heading for Congleton

I dropped them off at Crewe Station yesterday, as they are going to North Wales for a few days, then headed into Crewe. Oh dear! The place is down at heel, I walked around for a couple of hours, visited places I knew from my childhood, (they have renovated the Market Hall, which is now a food and drink outlet) then drove to Newcastle under Lyme to take some of my other son’s stuff back.

I hope the track at Chesterton has an estate built on it that is worthy as a replacement community asset. I like to visit the Potteries and reminisce aside from the football. So for example, I am pleased with the estate that has replaced Priory Road Infants School in Newcastle Under Lyme. 

I have watched a bit of speedway again on TV. It seems to be thriving in Poland and Scandinavia and other 'East European' countries. But on its heels in the UK. I guess TV money is essential in keeping it going. But that doesn't underpin the lower league levels nor develop riders. 

And so to the turning point for speedway. The electric bike! Will there need to be artificial revving noises!??

Edited by Warren

24 minutes ago, Warren said:

I hope the track at Chesterton has an estate built on it that is worthy as a replacement community asset. I like to visit the Potteries and reminisce aside from the football. So for example, I am pleased with the estate that has replaced Priory Road Infants School in Newcastle Under Lyme. 

I have watched a bit of speedway again on TV. It seems to be thriving in Poland and Scandinavia and other 'East European' countries. But on its heels in the UK. I guess TV money is essential in keeping it going. But that doesn't underpin the lower league levels nor develop riders. 

And so to the turning point for speedway. The electric bike! Will there need to be artificial revving noises!??

Another club closed again last week. Newcastle- links to the late ex stoke promoter Dave Tattum. Great shame. On the plus I visited the reopened Oxford recently and it was packed! Great to see. 

Of course there would ! Can't have speedway without the revving!

• 9 months later...
On 17/04/2023 at 19:47, ginge said:

Petition to try and stop the closure of Wolves Speedway. Dreadful decision from the stadium owners- Wolves is a well supported team and have been there for 100 years. Peterborough also will be homeless at the end of the season and many other clubs futures are at risk. 

Please share speedway fans!