onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Plymouth Argyle

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, valiant steve said:

Superb again today. Great game, great effort, plenty of decent football, plenty of decent chances created.

Can't fault anyone today and some immense performances all over the pitch. Great to be arguing after the game about who deserved man of the match the most. Woz for me but it could have been any from a list of six or seven players.

Yet another game where the team gave Brown a comfortable afternoon but he still maintains his concentration and is as solid as ever. 

Kennedy and Browne both did well second half. The back four were immense, Monty stepped up and lifted the crowd looking dangerous. Bennett was probably our quietest played but produced a bit of quality where (and when) it mattered. UTV 

Kennedy didn’t play today.

9 minutes ago, elav trop 1876 said:

spoke with a Plymouth fan (comes from manchester but his parents originate from Plymouth (glory hunter instead of those other hard to support manx teams ),,said he could see it coming our goal and that their forwards were snuffed out and didn't get clear of our defenders enough apart from the first half, 2nd half he says they didn't get in the game although with us making 3 subs he expected an onslaught from them but never materialised and we deserved the win,,also said they had 4 players out.he says their probs are also putting the ball in the net (think they had 15 attempts today).

credit to askey didn't sit back when we went 1 nil up and thought every player gave everything,

motm difficult poss monte for me carried the ball fwd or any of the back 4 gibbo goal line clearance, legge covered everywhere across the back , smith for his goal and again faultless display,crookes looked as though he was shattered.

very pleasing win, gritty ,organised &100% performance with some young lads whom will only get better and more consistent

also credit to Plymouth who looked to get forward,overall a very good game where at half time I would have been happy with a point so 3 shows how far we have come this season already

Strange as they reported to have a full squad.

I enjoyed that game today, I didn’t think there was much between the sides but we deservedly came out on top. The back 4 have to come in for a lot of credit today because I don’t recall Brown having a save to make. They did the ugly stuff well and kept the ball out. I mentioned it at half time but there was some really good defending from the full backs at our back post, people may take that for granted and not notice it but we conceded goals that way last season and it just how we’re slowly improving. This back 4 are getting better as a unit IMO. Crookes arguably had his best game for us today, and got forward too, whilst Legge and Smith were solid again. Gibbons came through a dodgy opening ten and defended with tenacity and second half got forward to put a couple of decent balls in too. Today was a hard game for our full backs, they were having to close down wing backs on the half line or inside the oppositions half and that takes a lot of fitness and desire and in the main they hardly threatened with any real purpose.

joyce had another good game in the middle and rarely gave the ball away, I can remember one dodgy pass in the second half and someone next to me stood up and shouted <ovf censored> off Joyce. He can’t have understood what role Joyce was bringing to the side, he was constantly on the ball and changing play. Worrall is another having a good season and today was no different, he put another good shift in.  Topped off by some quick thinking that lead to our goal. The injuries to Conlon and Evans were unlucky, hopefully they’re not too bad. But if they are then it leaves us short of cover with Manny still out. Taylor has a good game too, his energy and closing down was his big strength for me today and it meant they couldn’t rest on the ball. 

I thought Monty was excellent today, ran at them, caused them problems and he should have scored to put the game to bed. Brown did well going forward, I’m convinced he has more speed than he showed today though, but he’s strong on the ball and it was a promising debut. My only criticism would be that it looked like he doesn’t fancy going back the other way defensively too much. 

Bennet is a frustrating player, one minute he’s really weak at holding the ball, then the next he’s bringing players in to play with some great touches, then the next he’s out on the wing getting in the way of wingers and full backs and isn’t where he should be and then he’ll win a great flick or put in a good ball like the one for the goal. I am not convinced though by his aerial prowess in the box. But his problem is that he’s compared to Pope who’s by far one of the best strikers in the league for his hold up play and heading ability. 

Plymouth have some good players but like I said I don’t recall Brown being called in to action. Oh and no one is going to convince me that it wasn't a plan to kick the <ovf censored> out of Danny Mayer early doors too, Worrall, Joyce and Conlon all had go before Gibbo succeeded and in the main he ended up having a quiet game as a result. Overall that was a strong team performance, committed and with some quality too. We look loads better than this time last year.

3 hours ago, Doha said:

Brilliantly deserved in the circumstances. Good debut from Browne, couple of bits about his game like technical ball control are a mile above L2.

Plymouth nothing special.

Suspect highlights will show we should have had a pen first half for the two handed push on Bennett.

100% dive pal, it was a bit embarrassing.

Overall a superb performance. They battered Mayor early and got him riled, effectively taking him out of the game & then we bossed them. Monty MOM for me. A massive shout out to Crookes too who was immense 

I love Aspo the player but his counterattack tactics stifled the team last year. The form of Legge & Joyce being the case in point- not playing a system which encourages pressure has transformed them. Askey is doing very good things, I like it a lot.

It was an enjoyable game.

In the first 45 I thought they were better than us without creating much.They overloaded our right hand side and their movement was very good. At times Mayor and Moore and the rest were too sharp and quick for our defenders and they looked a decent outfit. I was just grateful to go in level. Everyone then said that a point would be a good result, especially since we'd made 3 subs within half an hour. When has that ever happened before? Very unusual but strangely I thought we played better after the subs came on. Taylor did well and Browne looked good.

For me, Pope holds up the ball better than Bennett but Bennett did well again and kept going for 90 minutes. Monty came alive after half time and the back four all played really well. 

Considering we were up against what for me was a very good team [with a lot of league one players on their team-sheet] and in view of the fact that we had to make 3 subs within half an hour I thought it was a tremendous, gritty effort, and in the second half we thoroughly deserved to win the game with that great 15 minute purple patch. 

I was very pleased with the performance. Gibbons and Legge were excellent but they all played well.

It might prove a blessing in disguise that the hapless Conlon went off because a fit Oyleke will benefit us and Taylor looks decent to me. 

I still think Plymouth will be up there next May so this was an excellent result for us and a game we would probably have lost 12 months ago. 

A very good second half display from everyone, putting them under pressure and making them look ordinary. Well done the manager for getting them going in the second 45 with no subs left to make.

Isn't it nice to see players like Monty, Amoo and Browne, showing no little skill and pace? All good to watch.

1 hour ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Watched on iFollow from Baku and thought we were REALLY good. When those 3 subs had to be made I said to my Missus I'll be happy with a point.....she was listening and knows nowt about football but said that sounds a bit rough losing 3 players. Thought we fought and battled and looked good value for the win. Askey is really building on solid foundations on what he's got. He might not get it 100% right this season but we will get there. (Ernie take note!)

All the flak Crookes and Joyce have had this season I think they are playing well....Crookes is improving week on week and Joyce is the cement between the bricks for me...he does all the simple jobs well and puts a right shift in....just my opinion you understand but I bet all the pros sat in that dressing room value what he does whatever us punters in the crowd feel.

We won't get promoted this season in my opinion but we'll be close and then we'll build next season....that must make me a happy clapper and I think that means you've mistaken me for somebody who gives an F!

Similar here. My missus keeps a running commentary in the background. Did we nearly score? Was that them? Even watched the last ten minutes together (which I could have done without). It was a really good effort. Crookes was much steadier at LB. Worrall had another very good game. But feet on the ground, we are not a promotion team. But a few games like that and mid table mediocrity, a steady start for the Shanahan's regime, that will do. Atmosphere sounded great second half. (I'm an ifollower too living abroad).

Browne looks capable of filling Amoo’s boots whilst he’s out!

Monty is one of them players, had a cracker today but missed a sitter after nearly scoring a wonder goal! Why he’s league two I guess but he caused them lots of problems.

Crookes solid, was it him who hooked one off the line? Legge was a beast, any team that comes to play on the deck will get murdered in the air by Leon.

Overall a very good result against a decent team who we nullified in the adverse situation we found ourselves in.

If we can win either Tuesday or Saturday then we will have navigated this tough run very well indeed and have to hope the kinder run of fixtures afterwards until Xmas sees us rattle off the wins to keep this positive new era going.

We might just shock a few people you know.

I think it was Gibbo who dropped back and cleared off the line. Some great points about players in the side now like Legge, Joyce and Monty in particular who under aspin either weren't allowed to play or were played out of position. Monty looks totally different and carries more of a threat and Joyce is dictating our tempo. It’s hard to believe that Legge was getting dropped in favour of Rawlinson at times last season too.

4 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

It’s neither weird or embarrassing, my opinion is not based on just based on Bennett’s performance today, it’s every game and you’ll see that I praised him for setting up the winning goal. We’ve strengthened this year in every position and there’ll be better performances to come as there isn’t a lot of quality in the league. If Pope could play 90 minutes or Archer wasn’t injured then I’m sure that Bennett would be on the bench. I hope he proves me wrong and starts hitting the target, otherwise we’ll have to rely on others to score.

i said that before they played Newport and ppl were saying Vale would be lucky to get a point from the next four games, I stayed I think we’ll get at least four points and I stand by that, prediction.

Have you seen the highlights? The two pieces of skill from Bennett that set up the goal and the Monty chance were sublime. Take a day off and enjoy the win. 

Delighted with today. Best performance from us for some time and personally I thought it was a better win than the Luton win given the circumstances in the first half. Thought Plymouth looked a very decent outfit without testing brown, more down to us than them, said it on another thread Smith and legge is as good a centre back partnership as there is in league 2. Criticised Joyce in the past but looked really good on the ball today. Plymouth I still think will be right up there and probably go up automatically and we have more than matched them even with the subs needed so early. Was expecting a massive onslaught and that we’d tire but we didn’t. Brilliant result and performance. Begs the question where can we finish? It looks a close league and a few of these squad players are looking decent. Archer recently and Browne looked very promising today ,(nice to have some pace off the bench). Onwards an upwards can’t praise them enough after that. 

2 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Really enjoyed the commitment effort and endeavour all game from the Vale thought we were worthy winners .

Thought everyone put a really good shift and the goal was superbly crafted with Smith finishing superbly .

Legge my man of the match he was collosal.

Montano should have sealed the three points after fine work from Bennett .

Fantastic win really enjoyed it .

No player for me was worth less than a 7 .

Yep agree with that. Glad you enjoyed it VFiA. Even the sun was shining. 

46 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Yep agree with that. Glad you enjoyed it VFiA. Even the sun was shining. 

We played as a team throughout I was so pleased we got the winner and after that there was only one winner .

I thought the support was terrific and the players were superb and I felt Montano especially looked like a player who fed off the cracking mouthy railway paddock .

A cracker of a performance especially second half and finished the game like a horse who’s galloping away from the others etc .

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Any criticism of Bennett is a joke.

Who'd of thought we'd have the luxury of Pope on the bench ? Askey stuck to his guns it would of been so easy to drop him after Grimsby or Newport but he didn't .

Bennett is doing very nicely thank you 

As I said his overall play has been good which it was today. He made a great run to create the space for the goal. All I'm saying his he needs to improve his anticipation in the box if he going to score 15-20 goals which is what we need. 

Strikers job first and foremost is to score goals.

Archived