onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Can you remember your first day at school?

mr.hobblesworth

Lots of these kind of things on Facebook atm.

I remember part of my first day so vividly. My fellow pupils and I were all sat in the floor in the hall with all the parents sat on chairs around the perimeter. The Headmistress got us all to stand up and played that Humpty Dumpty song on the school record player, and asked all the children to stand up and skip round the hall in a big circle. Unfortunately, due to my utterly rubbish co-ordination, I couldn't skip so was forced to sit crossed legged, alone in the centre of the hall, whilst children skipped round me and parents stared at me with a bemused look on their faces. I remember looking over at my mum for reassurance but she was staring at the floor.

Advert

None of that palaver, for some reason I didn't  start in the bottom class, straight to a desk with a slate. All the windows were criss-crossed with air-raid tape, and  I suppose the teacher wrote our names on our gas-mask boxes. The milk was kept warm around the hearth of the classroom fire, I have never drunk milk ever since, except on cereal. 

I can remember my first day at cannon street infants..... stood there wondering who all these people were and why they were here.

Juniors wasn't much different just bigger strangers an a bigger place.

Seniors was a feeling of absolute dread..... until I was about 14 when I broke out of the shell and caused problems.

Life moved on through " different educational facilities" until I realised I wasn't what I was told I was and always will be... the first two weeks of a law degree proved it.

I remember vividly walking into what was known as the Baby Class with my Mam.  I was weeping quietly.  Then another girl came in - he name was Pauline Ripley - she took off her coat, rolled it up and informed everyone that she couldn't wait to get started!  I thought she was mad!

I remember my first day at my primary school so vividly. I started crying, saying I wanted my mummy, and then I wet myself. I then tried to run out of the building, whilst sobbing uncontrollably. Luckily, the head was a kindly man who took me in to his office until I'd calmed down and then let me sit in my car until it was time to meet the rest of the staff and the class I was teaching that year. 

Archived