onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

21 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Based on yesterday I’d be tempted to start Pope over Bennett too, purely because I think his hold up play and ability to bring others in to the game is a lot better.

The left hand side of the defence is certainly weaker than the right and week after week teams are trying to exploit it with balls over them or pacey wingers running at Crookes. 

But the last 2 paragraphs i quoted from you hit the nail on the head. At one end we get a great chance to go one up and we don’t take it, yet they had one chance and took it yesterday. No one really remembers a player missing a sitter or calls for a forward to be dropped when they miss a chance, but everyone seems to remember a defender making a mistake that leads to a goal against and then want them dropped for it. 

I think the problem in the midfield without Manny is that Conlon and Joyce are similar and we have no different option, but Conlon has been the worst of them in recent games. He looked tired to me yesterday and off the pace. But even if Evens came in for him it’s not like we’re swapping Conlon for a box to box dynamo is it.  

Seems like Bennett struggles a bit away from home (Salford cameo aside) so maybe we could try Pope in the away matches where a more physical presence is needed. 

Yeah, agree on the Evans /Conlon swap. Wouldn’t change the dynamics that much. Think Taylor offers something different from what I’ve seen. Fingers crossed Manny is fit soon. 

I don’t think Askey will make too many changes personally, but if Manny is fit, I would go with the below:

Brown

Gibbons  Kennedy  Legge  Taylor

Manny  Joyce  Worrall

Amoo  Bennett  Monty

I would of loved to see Archer given a chance, but looks like we will have to wait a few months for that to happen. 

Advert

8 hours ago, Marmaduke said:

I think he's a 5 yard pass merchant. I admit that when he first joined Vale I'd expected him to have a more expansive game than that (just a hunch, no empirical evidence).

He isn’t that type of player, he’ll keep possession, keep it easy, put tackles in, link up the play from the back to the wings and if we had better midfielders I think he’d be linking that too. He is always an out ball and always available. Players like that are vital to a team IMO, they don’t get noticed much because some people are expecting every midfielder to be doing raking 50 yard passes or making box to box runs. His link up play to allow Gibbons and Amoo to play and make their runs is a vital cog of that right hand side. Conlon does not do that job as well on the left hand side. What we need is better midfielders alongside him too that can make their runs off him to get inbetween the oppositions midfield and defence. 

I remember watching him when Carlisle played us off the pitch a couple of seasons ago and he did exactly the same job, got the ball off the defence, played it back, played it wide, kept the ball, drew our players out of position and allowed their other midfielders the room to play in and behind us. 

My brother in law came to watch the Forest Green game with me, he’s a Stoke fan for his sins. But some fans around us were moaning as they do about Joyce and he said to me that he reminded him of Glenn Whelan, a player to keep things ticking over that doesn’t do anything fancy and a player that fans don’t appreciate or don’t understand what he brings to the side. 

For me (so far) Joyce has been one of the better and consistent players for us. 

On the whole if you take into content of the game Newport has a lot of shots at our goal but apart from in the first half a corner where  there striker should have done better as no one picked him up and he drove it into the side netting and the left back unleashing a tremendous shot which luckily struck the bar and the goal which was more down to us giving it them through utter terrible concentration and Smith not knowing where is man was ,and not cutting the cross out and the penalty which was never a pen we were in no trouble whatsoever.

We created the best footballing move of the game which Worrall should have buried,and the way we finished the game was very pleasing with Popey doing what Bennett failed to do all game and dominate there centre half’s .

Just a query what does Conlon do ,was hardly involved in the game and apart from been involved in the Worrall chance did not warrant the amount of time he was given in the game .

What I am noticing is that Gibbons and Legges side are doing very well and we are not conceding many goals from that side yet the other side always has a error in them .

I think Askey does not change the side quick enough 

Evans should have replaced Conlon after 45 mins and Pope /Archer /Cullen two out of any them 3 should have come on when we were in the ascendancy in that second half .

I was watching it thinking we can win this then disaster a quick throw in and Montoya Worrall and Crookes are flat footed however once the cross was put in a Vale shirt should have been first to it .

A giveaway 

UTV fair play to all like a lad from work who went .

SVA needs to be braver and I ain’t on about the support .

Win home Lose Away just puts more pressure on the next home game .

In recent weeks, I am enjoying reading the largely considered, constructive and thoughtful discussions on here.

It is very refreshing.

Thanks to all those who make the effort, you are making visiting OVF a worthwhile experience again.

I see Smith is the sole player to blame from the usual suspect poster yet again. Firstly the midfield have switched off for the throw, giving their player a free run at the back 4, Crookes has been beaten too easily and Smith is a matter of being only a yard too far to his right than being a touch closer to the near post. In that position the centre half doesn’t just mark the player he defends the front post at the edge of the 6 yard box. One more step to the left and he cuts it out, it’s fine margins that can lead to a goal. 

28 minutes ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

On the whole if you take into content of the game Newport has a lot of shots at our goal but apart from in the first half a corner where  there striker should have done better as no one picked him up and he drove it into the side netting and the left back unleashing a tremendous shot which luckily struck the bar and the goal which was more down to us giving it them through utter terrible concentration and Smith not knowing where is man was ,and not cutting the cross out and the penalty which was never a pen we were in no trouble whatsoever.

We created the best footballing move of the game which Worrall should have buried,and the way we finished the game was very pleasing with Popey doing what Bennett failed to do all game and dominate there centre half’s .

Just a query what does Conlon do ,was hardly involved in the game and apart from been involved in the Worrall chance did not warrant the amount of time he was given in the game .

What I am noticing is that Gibbons and Legges side are doing very well and we are not conceding many goals from that side yet the other side always has a error in them .

I think Askey does not change the side quick enough 

Evans should have replaced Conlon after 45 mins and Pope /Archer /Cullen two out of any them 3 should have come on when we were in the ascendancy in that second half .

I was watching it thinking we can win this then disaster a quick throw in and Montoya Worrall and Crookes are flat footed however once the cross was put in a Vale shirt should have been first to it .

A giveaway 

UTV fair play to all like a lad from work who went .

SVA needs to be braver and I ain’t on about the support .

Win home Lose Away just puts more pressure on the next home game .

I think Taylor should have replaced Conlon as he was pretty good against Shrewsbury and will grow more confidence with more game time.

Bennett never looked like scoring yesterday, needs to be given a rest next game problem now is we’ve lost one of the likely replacements ( Archer)

cant understand people saying drop Smith, always one of our better performers.

Worrall my motm yesterday closely followed by Gibbo.

Smith and Legge were two of our best players yesterday.

Crookes was beaten far too easily as he was throughout the game plus Joyce was caught out the wrong side of the player who passed to the winger, it was poor from a few players for their goal. Overall though we deserved a point, possession and chances were about even and Bennett must have a annoyed the ref because every decision went against him, the ref ruined what was a reasonable game between 2 average teams but on the plus side, we look better than we did last season.

4 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I see Smith is the sole player to blame from the usual suspect poster yet again. Firstly the midfield have switched off for the throw, giving their player a free run at the back 4, Crookes has been beaten too easily and Smith is a matter of being only a yard too far to his right than being a touch closer to the near post. In that position the centre half doesn’t just mark the player he defends the front post at the edge of the 6 yard box. One more step to the left and he cuts it out, it’s fine margins that can lead to a goal. 

All good points, and I do think Smith is a good player. However, the goal aside, I have a few concerns with him against certain teams. 

He gives a lot of free kicks away in dangerous areas as he tries to make up for his lack of height by wrestling with the opposition. He let the player he was marking hold up the play too easily for my liking yesterday, enabling them to get down our flanks.  Also, we rely on Legge to mostly defend the aerial ball from set-prices, when imo both CHs should be dominant in the air. 

The major problem yesterday was it just wouldn’t stick up front. Maybe the issue was Bennett, but (hypothetically) if Smith was marking Bennett yesterday, would he have been so quiet? 

Im not trying to make Smith a scapegoat, but I would be interested to see how we go on with Legge and Kennedy. It might backfire, in which case I will hold my hands up. I just think it is worth a try. 

2 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

All good points, and I do think Smith is a good player. However, the goal aside, I have a few concerns with him against certain teams. 

He gives a lot of free kicks away in dangerous areas as he tries to make up for his lack of height by wrestling with the opposition.

I like him. He's not that tall for a CB for sure but he has a good leap on him and is pretty clever with his wrestling and sticks his head in where hurts. Has a remarkable disciplinary record for a CB. This season I also think he has been stuck in the doo doo covering for Crookes as he plays as left CB. And Crookes is a makeshift LB to be honest. CB is not our problem at the moment. LB and CM are.

My biggest disappointment was the fact Newport were really really average. They just played percentage football looking for free kicks or corners. First visit there and makes Vale Park look a million dollars, what a flea pit. Worthy of about a Level 8 stadium. 

I'm not going bang on too much, my two gripes were that the game completely passed Conlon by. Time for a rethink there .Compare his performance with that of Sheehan for them. 

Final thought is that Cullen surely has the nous and brain to unlock a defence . My opinion is that he is being under used as we stick with brawn over guile . We are doing okay it's very fine margins and we just lack the extra something

Archived