onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just got back. I thought we played well for most of the game and were well worth a point on the balance of play IMO. First half we had to defend and we defended really well. No messing about with the ball, just no nonsense stuff. They are a strong side and play to their strengths of launching it and looking to win free kicks and get throw ins or corners. They really aren’t that far in front of us I feel. 

Second half we came more into it, Gibbons got forward more and Amoo saw more of it too. Montys headed chance from one of Gibbos cross looked like he should have done better I think. In fact a lot of crosses came in from that side from him and amoo and it just felt like the forwards weren’t making the right runs. The turning point is Worralls one on one, easily the best chance of the game. But we didn’t take it. We then switch off from a throw, Crookes gets done for pace and maybe smith didn’t take up the best position at the front post and they have a tap in. 

The penalty looked a bad decision to me, but I’d say from the off the ref seemed determined to penalise Smith for holding and pulling  (without applying the same rules to them on Bennett). Again though it was another team that looked to get the ball at Crookes and Smith and they had some joy from it.

But overall I felt we ran them close, but having said that I still think we’re just a couple of players short. Midfield has goals or game changers in it. Conlon had a poor game, too slow to move the ball and  seemed to take too many touches and second half he looked knackered. Joyce is playing well though, linking play and looking to keep things moving. I was surprised Conlon didn’t come off sooner. Monty did fade but even so I think I’d of kept him on. Pope came on won more then Bennett did IMO and as the game went on we did have a lot of the ball and put more pressure on them but without having a break in the box. 

Of the team I felt Brown, Gibbons, Joyce and Worrall did well. Take your pick of them for MOTM. Another maybe minor point I’d like to make is that we seem too nice a side, chatting to the opposition, shaking hands after we’d been fouled. 

Advert

On 07/09/2019 at 20:15, Marmaduke said:

The shame of it is that Newport have a poor midfield so I had expected Vale to win that battle. Today really was the day I thought Joyce might finally be the player I always hoped he'd be.  Unfortunately not.

Looks like we don’t need to improve our midfield then... if you can go 18 games unbeaten with a poor one! 

Problem solved! 

40 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

The shame of it is that Newport have a poor midfield so I had expected Vale to win that battle. Today really was the day I thought Joyce might finally be the player I always hoped he'd be.  Unfortunately not.

Do you even know what kind of player Joyce is? 

45 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

I thought Joyce was one of our best players today.  Hardly wasted the ball all afternoon.  The penalty was a complete joke.  Looked to me like a foul on Smith rather than a foul on Matt.  That was yet another of these new-to-the-League refs that we keep getting.  Yet to see a good one.

Thought Joyce was poor, he doesn’t defend too well and although he spread the ball reasonably he creates absolutely nothing. Thought Legge and Smith were solid today but Smith was all over their strikers at times. Worrall MOM for me but we desperately need a left back, I have not seen Crookes have a good game yet, hopefully he will improve but in the meantime we need someone else. 

Pretty standard fare for an Askey led away performance. We don't look like scoring much but neither do the opposition. The game livened up in the second half after a scrappy first half not helped by a referee who blew for a foul against Bennett every time the ball came near him. The goal was similar to the winner against Cambridge followed by a soft penalty decision where both Smith and the Newport forward were both pulling each other. A huff and a puff by Vale at the end saw Legge hit the bar and overall Vale deserved a point against a unimpressive Newport team.

Overall we look like a team that will end up about halfway in the league. Not good enough to threaten the play offs but not bad enough to get close to the likely one relegation spot and after the last three terrible seasons, I'm fine with that.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I thought Joyce was one of our best players today.  

I thought so too, and I'm not generally a fan. Conlon had one of his worst. What does he bring? Don't know to be honest.  Dithers too much and today also kept losing possession and giving away fouls from frustration probably. Time to try someone else there with Joyce. This is not based just on today, but all the games so far.

51 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I thought so too, and I'm not generally a fan. Conlon had one of his worst. What does he bring? Don't know to be honest.  Dithers too much and today also kept losing possession and giving away fouls from frustration probably. Time to try someone else there with Joyce. This is not based just on today, but all the games so far.

I would make two changes for the next match- Taylor or Evans in for Conlon and Kennedy in for Smith. 

We have only kept one clean sheet, so I think out of Smith and Legge (based on performances so far), Smith is the one to make way. 

Conlon has been below par the last few matches, so I think one of Evans/ Taylor deserve a chance. 

Overall, I think we deserved something out of the game today, but we just aren’t clinical enough and always seem to have a lapse defensively. 

Real shame about Archer as I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the league.

Anyway, let’s hope we keep up our good home form and keep building steadily. UTV. 

8 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I would make two changes for the next match- Taylor or Evans in for Conlon and Kennedy in for Smith. 

We have only kept one clean sheet, so I think out of Smith and Legge (based on performances so far), Smith is the one to make way. 

Conlon has been below par the last few matches, so I think one of Evans/ Taylor deserve a chance. 

Overall, I think we deserved something out of the game today, but we just aren’t clinical enough and always seem to have a lapse defensively.

Based on yesterday I’d be tempted to start Pope over Bennett too, purely because I think his hold up play and ability to bring others in to the game is a lot better.

The left hand side of the defence is certainly weaker than the right and week after week teams are trying to exploit it with balls over them or pacey wingers running at Crookes. 

But the last 2 paragraphs i quoted from you hit the nail on the head. At one end we get a great chance to go one up and we don’t take it, yet they had one chance and took it yesterday. No one really remembers a player missing a sitter or calls for a forward to be dropped when they miss a chance, but everyone seems to remember a defender making a mistake that leads to a goal against and then want them dropped for it. 

I think the problem in the midfield without Manny is that Conlon and Joyce are similar and we have no different option, but Conlon has been the worst of them in recent games. He looked tired to me yesterday and off the pace. But even if Evens came in for him it’s not like we’re swapping Conlon for a box to box dynamo is it.  

Archived