onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

On 07/09/2019 at 18:21, Fosse69 said:

Out of interest how do you rank results, Grimsby was a poor result. Newport have already beaten Crewe and Plymouth 1-0  at home but they are higher than us in the league, so a not unexpected result, even promotion teams lose away. Learn from a hard fought game which could easily have been a draw and move on..

Win = good

Draw = ok

Loss = poor

By the looks of it

Advert

12 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

That said, I’m starting to agree with other posters that Askey leaves his subs too late. Might not have made any difference today but Archer on after 60-65 mins would have given them something to think about. And what’s happening with Cullen??

I think the problem is more the management team don't have a plan b or c yet. We have lot of options upfront but very limited in midfield in particular with Manny injured. To me this is the issue.

Hope Archer injury is not too serious.

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Out of interest how do you rank results, Grimsby was a poor result. Newport have already beaten Crewe and Plymouth 1-0  at home but they are higher than us in the league, so a not unexpected result, even promotion teams lose away. Learn from a hard fought game which could easily have been a draw and move on..

I think its irrelevant results against other sides. Our good results are simple... win at home draw away = playoffs.

Just now, MBE said:

I think the problem is more the management team don't have a plan b or c yet. We have lot of options upfront but very limited in midfield in particular with Manny injured. To me this is the issue.

Hope Archer injury is not too serious.

I think that’s the source of the frustration. Lots of options on the bench, 9 of the starters were part of the dismal failures of the past 2 years, a midfield that is simply not effective enough but isn’t changed, another late goal costs us points in a game we’ve apparently done enough to take something from. 

On 07/09/2019 at 18:40, Biddulph_PV said:

I think that’s the source of the frustration. Lots of options on the bench, 9 of the starters were part of the dismal failures of the past 2 years, a midfield that is simply not effective enough but isn’t changed, another late goal costs us points in a game we’ve apparently done enough to take something from. 

Or it’s a new system getting far far better performances out the players from last year (Worrall and Gibbons are like new signings under Askey)

Im not sure if you watched the game given your comment of us “apparently” not doing enough... but we gave them a good game and limited a team on an incredible run to very little.

I agree we are short a dynamite midfielder which would help us kick on... but this is the slow and steady improvement we have  been crying out for. This midfield was more than matching the team second in the league for the majority of the 2nd half when we bucked our ideas up.

Todays result was far more unlucky than poor and this team is far better equipped and prepared than last season.

We have just entered a period of 5 increasingly tough games, results, if any won’t be easy... calm heads are called for. 

1 minute ago, tommytunstall said:

Would not disagree. But the other problem is we don't score, seems like a reasonable performance today but as soon as we go 1 down we are goosed.

Sums it up really, numerous games we’ve not taken decent chances when we’ve created them.

Against a side like Newport on their own patch good chances are going to be few and far between so if we get say a one on one or a free header we must do better, but where we are at present we don’t have many natural goal scorers throughout the team, hence these chances are spurned.

As many have said, we’re very much a work in progress. Hopefully we can keep improving the players we currently have and maybe add one or two in the next window.

Fingers crossed for Archer.🤞🏻

Bit unlucky, Worrall fell asleep at a throw and got caught out which is annoying but we played well enough.

Missed a few decent chances, Worrall and Legge notably. Referee was poor did Bennett every time even when he was being fouled and the penalty looked more a foul on Smith!

Another game Brown has had virtually nothing to do but we seem to be punished for most errors.

Need to beat Plymouth to get back on track but pleased enough with the performance levels especially second half.

20 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

You're right we do have lots of options on the bench but only for a striker. Its not really much of an option when we only have plan a at the moment, which to be fair is making us competitive. We have no other ways of playing at the moment which is why the subs aren't great.

I'm afraid we need to recognise where we are... the season will be frustrating, we will win games, look like a really good side then drop points ,which has been the theme of the season so far. Can't see it changing with the current squad. In my opinion the midfield and LB position are the issue. 

Speaking as a regular watcher of Newport this season (oh the shame) that was pretty standard-fare today - gritty defence, good fitness levels, late winner. I feel I can count one hand the saves Newport's keeper has been forced to make so far this season. They're now something like nine hours without conceding  

Amoo scared Newport (normally Haynes is rampaging forward from the LB position but he barely pushed up today) but as per usual there was no spark in the Vale side.

I wonder if Askey's reluctance to make game-changing substitutions is because he doesn't really have game-changers on the bench (no disrespect to Pope et al).

My issue is the lack of subs being used by askey. It was the same issue against Cambridge as well. No use making like for like changes all the team. Personally would have started Taylor or at least got him on. Midifield is no good without manny or Taylor. Not too fussed with the result but think askey could be more pro active with these subs. 

Archived